Confide app used by White House staff not as secure as claimed, report suggests

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Interesting this thread hasn't been locked yet.  :o
    Why would it be? You guys are being civil to each other.
    Because nearly every thread posted by AI with a political component and not posted under Political Outsider recently has been suddenly and without warning locked, regardless of the civility of the posters. Not by you, mind you.

Just a few random examples:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/198480/apple-weighing-legal-action-against-trump-immigration-ban-to-match-employee-donations-to/p2
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2933095/
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/2932628/#Comment_2932628

That last one was the weirdest, since there were no actual comments posted, the thread was simply locked. As a result of me posting this response I fully expect my post and comments to be deleted.
    You're not seeing the ad hominem posts that he removed.
    Fair enough. But if AI is the source of the original post, shouldn't they put the story under Political Outsider to begin with? A political story invites political comments.
    And they allow political posts on political stories until the comments stay on track regarding a discussion about the politics of the story. If jumps into recursive "You're a ******* for supporting x" then I understand why they shut it down.
    Why not simply publicly or privately warn or "punish" the offender instead? Are there really that many posters incapable of civil discourse?
    That would be a question for Mike. Let me see if I can Beetlejuice him for you:

Anyone that votes Democrat is the worst.
    Anyome that votes Republican is the worst.
    Anyome that doesn't vote Democrat or Republican is the worst.

(I think that covers everyone :smile: )
    edited February 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 22 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I know where I'd like to 'secure' some of the new White House staff! 
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Soli said:
    And they allow political posts on political stories until the comments stay on track regarding a discussion about the politics of the story. If jumps into recursive "You're a ******* for supporting x" then I understand why they shut it down.
    Why not simply publicly or privately warn or "punish" the offender instead? Are there really that many posters incapable of civil discourse?
    We do publicly and privately warn. Yes, there are that many posters incapable of civil discourse.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:
    We do publicly and privately warn. Yes, there are that many posters incapable of civil discourse.
    With polarization accelerating at the speed of knots, perhaps in the not too distant future AI will need to split into two alternative blogs.  One for those pro science, freedom of speech, equal rights for women and so on... and the other for ... well nuff said, I don't want to have the thread closed down ;).
  • Reply 25 of 29
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    steven n. said:
    "Another issue is that Confide doesn't make its code public"????

That is an issue? Seriously? Does everything have to be "open source" or it's an issue?
    Soli said:
    steven n. said:
    "Another issue is that Confide doesn't make its code public"????

That is an issue? Seriously? Does everything have to be "open source" or it's an issue?
    I gave you a Like because I agree with your overall sentiment, but I also wouldn't use* one of these apps unless it was open source because I want to be able to read forensic reports from developer communities to help be fairly certain that the developers aren't storing the data. Of course, if the data get routed through one of their servers who the hell knows what could be going on.

* I've never used nor do I expect to use one of these apps. For starters, anything sent could just be saved with a screenshot on the other end, so the best it could do is probably just hid your name, assuming you didn't use RealPOTUSSteveBannon.
    The source code can be quite revealing. If it's in the open, more people are able to point out potential flaws, which can then be patched. What's so bad about that?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    With polarization accelerating at the speed of knots, perhaps in the not too distant future AI will need to split into two alternative blogs.  One for those pro science, freedom of speech, equal rights for women and so on... and the other for ... well nuff said, I don't want to have the thread closed down ;).
    Except one can be pro-science, pro-freedom of speech, in favor of all Americans constitutionally protected rights... and not be a liberal and/or progressive.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    You guys are being civil to each other.
    Oh, is THAT the qualifier? Interesting...
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 29
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    I find this hilarious!
    Republicans have spent the last 4 years and tens of millions of dollars attacking Hillary's use of non-government systems -- and within the first month, they are doing the same!   I wonder who will investigate THEM?
    No one, because as mindblowingly idiotic as it is it makes perfect sense to them.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Maestro64 said: "That is because the open source communicate feel they are better equipped to find issue and as group they and also fix them. But I also work for a networking equipment manufacture and we did not allow use of open source or any libraries which were not internally developed, why for security reasons. We did not want the product software to contain code which people outside the company had knowledge of.

With that said, when are these people going to learn, if you do not want people to know what you are doing never write it down, and do all your dirty work in person. I personally only document facts in Emails and such, everything else it is in a personal conversation, this way I can always deny what was said since it was never written down.

As I told my kids, if they are ever doing something they should not be doing, and someone pulls out a phone and begins recording get yourself out of there. I told them I did lots of things when I was younger and no one can prove it since it not written down, no pictures, and my friends memory is far worse than mine."

When you say "I personally only document facts in Emails and such, everything else it is in a personal conversation, this way I can always deny what was said since it was never written down." it makes me wonder if you use email for personal communications.  I mean *at*all*.  Even if you don't use gmail, for example, if you communicate with other people that use gmail, google has made it very clear through their use of the judicial system that your communications are analyzed and stored for ongoing use, and that you have zero expectation of privacy.

I find this to be one of the most troubling aspects of the current state of the world.  That there is no easy way to have private communications, short of face-to-face, which is often not possible.  There are various privacy-oriented tools and apps, but they are not in very widespread use and/or are not easy to set up or use.

As I told my kids, if they are ever doing something they should not be doing, and someone pulls out a phone and begins recording get yourself out of there.

Two problems with this advice: 
    1) Kids don't always know that they are doing something they shouldn't be doing, and even the definition itself morphs over the years and decades.  When anything and everything is recorded, you can never outlive, move away from, or in any way escape from data that is collected about you. 
    2) It's not obvious when data about you is being collected.  You say "someone pulls out a phone and begins recording", but it's not always that obvious, right?  Phones are recording data about you and those around you (and those proximal relationships) pretty much non-stop.  Various apps *cough*facebook*cough* ask for permission to access phone microphones, and many people just go ahead and click Allow without considering what that means.  FB can (and does!) change their ToS and privacy policies all the time.  Is there any reason to assume that they, or any other company with access to microphones isn't recording audio constantly?  Or perhaps when certain devices come within range of each other?

It doesn't require a conspiracy-prone mind to think about these things when you can read public statements all the time from companies about the depths to which they go to track people's behaviors against their will.  Audio tones above the range of human ears to correlate TV/tablet/computer/mobile usage, tracker-blocker-blockers, the list goes on.

It sounds like you're paying attention to the problem, but how do you advise your kids in general, to live in this world of constant surveillance?