'iPhone 8' to include game changing 3D facial recognition tech in FaceTime camera

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    NY1822 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Ok, so the rumor continues to be that this will be used as a new form of biometrics to unlock your phone but what other function/purpose will it serve? Just seems like a large investment of both time & money to just unlock your phone. Not being snarky, but can someone enlighten me to other uses this could bring? 
    This technology can be used for Apple TV's, logging in different members of the family iTunes account based on who is standing in front of the camera. May also be used in beats speakers, logging in different people and their account/playlist based on facial recognition. 
    No one needs nor cares about that. The AppleTV isn't getting user accounts, and it sure isn't dependent on gimmicky method of logging in (nevermind one that requires a CAMERA on the AppleTV, and the requirement that the AppleTV be positioned properly for such a thing). Nope. Just nope.

Did it ever occur to you that with the Siri remote, they could easily do voice recognition that switches user accounts without any of that ridiculous overheard for visual? If they actually wanted user accounts on AppleTV, which they don't.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,569member
    "Beyond the years-past purchases of PrimeSense and Metaio, Apple has been gradually building its patent and technology portfolio with more acquisitions related to 3D facial recognition technology."

Not one.  Apple has not done a single acquisition and holds not a single patent related to facial recognition.  Face recognition, on the other hand...

It's as I said throughout my career, I hate being right two years early.  Soon, after Apple goes in stage and intros some related feature, perhaps the world will finally start using the correct term.  

fa·cial
    [ˈfāSHəl]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. of or affecting the face:
      "facial expressions"
    NOUN
    1. a beauty treatment for the face.

Seems like the first definition applies perfectly well ("recognition of the face").  But perhaps the remarkable thing will be the app that can reverse engineer the makeup applied to someone else's face.  "How does she look so young and fresh?"  "There's an app for that!"

I already have that app, using it for quick makeup correction in post-processing portraits in conjunction with Lightroom. :)
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 23 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    cesco said:
    Ah for Christ's sake: Go back in time, slap on IPhone 8 label on the 7 and you'll experience the same tepid reception to the 'mind blowing product' including Cook,s canned, "it's our best iPhone yet but there's greater thing in the pipeline  coming!"
    Can you be more specific about what you think is lacking about the 7? it's the best smartphone I've ever owned. And what on earth do you mean by "Tepid", considering the record sales quarter? Clearly people couldn't wait to get their hands on the 7.

And Cook's not lying to you when he says they have things in the pipeline. Previously: AirPods, TouchBar, Watch, more awesome phones, etc. 

I know tho, it's hard to use tech as the most exciting thing in your life when our devices start to mature. But let me ask you -- do you think carpenters are posting such nonsense on power tools forums? "Nothing revolutionary in this band saw! DeWalt sucks!"

You're nothing but a DeWalt-hating troll!  Go back to Porter Cable Insider and yuck it up with your misinformed friends.
    "You're nothing but a DeWalt-hating troll!  Go back to Porter Cable Insider and yuck it up with your misinformed friends."

Porter-Cable is a sister company of Dewalt and Stanley/Black & Decker now owns the Craftsmen Tools brand, with a rights licensing agreement that allows Sears Holding Company to continue developing and selling products within Sears retail stores. Another way of putting it is that the Craftsmen brand will be available extensively outside of Sears.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    naryfa said:
    Wait... So all I need to unlock your phone now is to hold it in front of your face?!?
    Nope. Apple has no such implementation.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    tmay said:
    cesco said:
    Ah for Christ's sake: Go back in time, slap on IPhone 8 label on the 7 and you'll experience the same tepid reception to the 'mind blowing product' including Cook,s canned, "it's our best iPhone yet but there's greater thing in the pipeline  coming!"
    Can you be more specific about what you think is lacking about the 7? it's the best smartphone I've ever owned. And what on earth do you mean by "Tepid", considering the record sales quarter? Clearly people couldn't wait to get their hands on the 7.

And Cook's not lying to you when he says they have things in the pipeline. Previously: AirPods, TouchBar, Watch, more awesome phones, etc. 

I know tho, it's hard to use tech as the most exciting thing in your life when our devices start to mature. But let me ask you -- do you think carpenters are posting such nonsense on power tools forums? "Nothing revolutionary in this band saw! DeWalt sucks!"

You're nothing but a DeWalt-hating troll!  Go back to Porter Cable Insider and yuck it up with your misinformed friends.
    "You're nothing but a DeWalt-hating troll!  Go back to Porter Cable Insider and yuck it up with your misinformed friends."

Porter-Cable is a sister company of Dewalt and Stanley/Black & Decker now owns the Craftsmen Tools brand, with a rights licensing agreement that allows Sears Holding Company to continue developing and selling products within Sears retail stores. Another way of putting it is that the Craftsmen brand will be available extensively outside of Sears.
    Didn't know that. IMHO Sears will be a question of Jeopardy sometime in the near future anyway. "This now defunct-company revolutionized retailing in the 1800's"
  • Reply 26 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Competing handsets will catch up in 1-2 years? I guess Apple stays still in that timeframe. 

Unless facial recognition can see "through" glasses, it'll have no use for me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    cesco said:

Didn't know that. IMHO Sears will be a question of Jeopardy sometime in the near future anyway. "This now defunct-company revolutionized retailing in the 1800's"
    Revolutionized they did, but they weren't agile enough to evolve the shopping experience or product lines. 
  • Reply 28 of 39
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    cesco said:

Revolutionized they did, but they weren't agile enough to evolve the shopping experience or product lines. 
    I think they were VERY agile. Staying in business for nearly 150 years requires a least a little "agility". That combined with good fortune.
    edited February 2017 cali
  • Reply 29 of 39
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,904member
    naryfa said:
    Wait... So all I need to unlock your phone now is to hold it in front of your face?!?
    So you read just the headline and posted...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    "Beyond the years-past purchases of PrimeSense and Metaio, Apple has been gradually building its patent and technology portfolio with more acquisitions related to 3D facial recognition technology."

Not one.  Apple has not done a single acquisition and holds not a single patent related to facial recognition.  Face recognition, on the other hand...

It's as I said throughout my career, I hate being right two years early.  Soon, after Apple goes in stage and intros some related feature, perhaps the world will finally start using the correct term.  
    In actual fact you are not correct.  While you might properly explain the terminology Apple does have patents that their engineers submitted and the USPTO accepted that specifically mention "facial recognition" among that patents claims. US 9076029 B2 is but one of a few. US 8593534 B2 is another in case you think there's only one.  Look at the very first claim on each of them. 

Appleinsider is losing it.   The hysteria is clearly gumming up the works.  

Verdict: their ads stay blocked with Ghostery.

Screwing with their cash is the only way to teach these seals to clap.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    I going buy the iPad Mini 5 or Pro.  May buy the red iPhone 7 too.  Depend on how it looks in person!  iPhone X is too much technology for me!
  • Reply 32 of 39
    supadav03 said:
    Ok, so the rumor continues to be that this will be used as a new form of biometrics to unlock your phone but what other function/purpose will it serve? Just seems like a large investment of both time & money to just unlock your phone. Not being snarky, but can someone enlighten me to other uses this could bring? 
    Maybe ask Mr Zuckerberg why he puts tape over his webcam and microphone...?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/technology/personaltech/mark-zuckerberg-covers-his-laptop-camera-you-should-consider-it-too.html?_r=0
    http://mashable.com/2016/06/21/mark-zuckerberg-webcam-cover/#hzLNuowCgOqM

With Photos (no opt in/out) tagging everything including your Pumpkins, and everyone being 'encouraged' (some apps now only online) to the cloud, does the added biometric push assist AI/AR, value added marketing data, national security and business interests, or something even more potentially troubling?  

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/multimedia/privacy-age-augmented-reality-alessandro-acquisti-video
    https://www.rsaconference.com/blogs/augmented-reality-law-privacy-and-ethics-law-society-and-emerging-ar-technologies

...yet will this 'feature' be justified in terms of hardware and getting rid of the home button...?
  • Reply 33 of 39
    NY1822 said:
    supadav03 said:
    This technology can be used for Apple TV's, logging in different members of the family iTunes account based on who is standing in front of the camera. May also be used in beats speakers, logging in different people and their account/playlist based on facial recognition. 
    No one needs nor cares about that. The AppleTV isn't getting user accounts, and it sure isn't dependent on gimmicky method of logging in (nevermind one that requires a CAMERA on the AppleTV, and the requirement that the AppleTV be positioned properly for such a thing). Nope. Just nope.

Did it ever occur to you that with the Siri remote, they could easily do voice recognition that switches user accounts without any of that ridiculous overheard for visual? If they actually wanted user accounts on AppleTV, which they don't.
    Why do you position AppleTV? You just position the remote with camera... LOL.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    supadav03 said:
    There's probably many that won't be clear until release or sometime after - so use your imagination :-)  Security is likely a big one given that this has been a point of differentiation for Apple over the last couple of years. Imagine sales and ecosystem implications if businesses and governments all but required users to be iPhone. One could assume that their may also be tie-in with the oft discussed AR developments. 
  • Reply 35 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator

fa·cial
    [ˈfāSHəl]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. of or affecting the face:
      "facial expressions"
    NOUN
    1. a beauty treatment for the face.

Seems like the first definition applies perfectly well ("recognition of the face").  But perhaps the remarkable thing will be the app that can reverse engineer the makeup applied to someone else's face.  "How does she look so young and fresh?"  "There's an app for that!"

And that's okay,  using the term facial recognition is appropriate in the context of gaming or another application where the purpose it to recognize facial expressions, which then might be mapped onto an in-game character.  However, the press seems unaware that this is a distinct subset of the realm of face recognition.  Face recognition is the term used to describe the process of recognizing or identifying a specific person by their face.  And so the following quote, from a more recent article, uses the term facial recognition where the correct term is face recognition:

"It should also incorporate 3D facial recognition, possibly as a replacement for Touch ID."

And the first sentence in this article, also doesn't follow from a headline that uses the term facial recognition.  It implies that the technical upgrades being referred to are centered around facial recognition, and then goes on to suggest it can be used in biometric authentication.  So, anyone making certain facial expressions would be able to unlock an iPhone?  No.  That makes no sense.  Biometric authentication requires not the recognition of certain facial expressions, but rather, the recognition of a specific face,  It's bewildering to me that those who purport to educate the public on these matters don't first educate themselves. The press and analysts is to whom I am referring.  At least a tech-oriented sitelike AI should mention what I'm speaking about here in their daily stand-up meeting.

"guys, um, just for the record, we've been using the term facial recognition to cover two different contexts.  So from now on when writing about biometric authentication, it's just face recognition.  Got it?  Okay, let's hit our deadlines.  Thanks.  There's muffins in the break room."

'iPhone 8' to include game changing 3D facial recognition tech in FaceTime camera

"In addition to being a complete redesign of the iconic handset, Apple's anticipated "iPhone 8" will reportedly bring key technical upgrades to the platform, including a "revolutionary" front facing 3D camera system that can be used for a variety of applications, from biometric authentication to games."
  • Reply 36 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I've been waiting to see what Metaio and Primesense are cooking up. 

ireland said:
    meh
    Meh

facebook messenger and snap chat 3D face effects already work well enough for this gimmick, no special hardware required.

reminds me of the plus portrait mode blurred background, another feature that can easily be done in software

My God!! The lack of imagination!

This is groundbreaking. This would be the biggest innovation since iPhone itself. If this rumor materializes I can't wait to play games, scan and send people objects, shop, FaceTime with 3D objects etc.

If Apple can develop 3D video that doesn't fatigue eyes this would be futuristic as f***! I've always wanted to 3D chat with people. 

@indiekiduk you REALLY THINK Apple is developing this multi million dollar tech to offer simple Facebook/Snapchat filters that are already available?

cesco said:

"Tepid"
    Breaking records isn't enough for Apple anymore huh?

lkrupp said:
    ireland said:
    meh
    Exactly, what’s left to innovate on smartphones other than gimmicks like this? Same goes for every other smartphone manufacturer. In my opinion real innovation would be a battery that is completely safe and lasts for days.

What's more innovative than this?

Theres absolutely nothing innovative about longer lasting battery. New tech like this is innovative. 
    edited February 2017 fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    gatorguy said:

In actual fact you are not correct.  While you might properly explain the terminology Apple does have patents that their engineers submitted and the USPTO accepted that specifically mention "facial recognition" among that patents claims. US 9076029 B2 is but one of a few. US 8593534 B2 is another in case you think there's only one.  Look at the very first claim on each of them. 

I just checked out the first of the two patents you referenced, and it proves my point nicely. Both the title of the patent and the description use the term face recognition, as this is a patent about biometric authentication.  What you're seeing in the claims is a reference to recognizing certain facial features, like skin tone, in which case the term facial recognition is appropriate.  You see, facial recognition can be a subset of the face recognition process, just as face detection is a subset of face recognition.  And both facial recognition and face detection can be used on their own, but neither can be used on their own to entirely provide biometric authentication.  You would not unlock a phone or authorize payment solely based upon recognizing that a person is smiling, or making some other facial expression, or based solely upon a person's skin tone (part of what's mentioned in the first referenced patent).  Nor would you authenticate based solely upon recognizing a face in a scene (face detection), but you might use one or both of those technologies as part of the process of identifying a specific person by their face (face recognition).  

The issue is one of the press and analysts using one term in two contexts. Facial recognition is a real technology, it's just not the technology used to perform biometric authentication, and that's where the press constantly gets it wrong. So, any facial recognition patents, such as from PrimeSense, will be utilized in games and other apps where, for example, you want to map a user's facial expressions onto an in-game character.  In this context you might not even need to authenticate who's face is being used; just whichever face is the most prominent one being captured by the front-facing camera.  But you don't use facial recognition technology to perform biometric authentication. It makes no sense. For that application, you use face recognition technology.  See my comment above on a couple recent examples where AI's article authors got it wrong, or didn't correct their sources, who also seem not to know the difference.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Could this tech be used to track eye movement?