Apple's 'iPhone 8' may not use curved OLED due to production problems

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
Although Apple's upcoming "iPhone 8" is expected to offer a 5.15-inch AMOLED screen with a 2K resolution, the company is dropping plans to make it curved because of problems discovered in testing, a research firm said on Tuesday.

'iPhone 8' concept image by Moe Slah.
'iPhone 8' concept image by Moe Slah.

Curved glass has been suffering in terms of both production yields and drop-test results, according to TrendForce, which cited supply chain sources. Apple has typically been rumored as adopting curved screens similar to Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge, and indeed the company is thought to have signed a $4.3 billion deal to buy OLED panels from Samsung.

The "iPhone 8" will instead use the same "2.5D" glass found on devices like the iPhone 7, TrendForce said. In that case, the display should be largely flat except for rounded edges.

The research firm otherwise reinforced screen claims seen elsewhere, including that the device will drop a physical home button in favor of virtual buttons, helping to make it more compact -- to the point that despite its large display, it could be sized the same as the 4.7-inch iPhone 7, rather than the Plus. It should also incorporate 3D facial recognition, possibly as a replacement for Touch ID.

Apple is also said to be producing two LCD-based iPhones sized at 4.7 and 5.5 inches like their predecessors. Elsewhere, these devices have sometimes been referred to as the "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus."

TrendForce notably suggested that while the AMOLED model could cost up to $1,000 or more, as rumored, it could make up the bulk -- "at least 40 percent" -- of a forecast 100 million next-generation iPhones Apple will produce. As such, most of the world's AMOLED panel production is expected to consumed by Apple and Samsung, leaving rivals like Oppo and Huawei scrambling for their own supplies.

The firm also claimed that the AMOLED iPhone will sport 3 gigabytes of DRAM, and come with 64 or 256 gigabytes of storage. The 5.5-inch model is expected to keep the same amount of DRAM, and offer up to 256 gigabytes of storage, while the 4.7-inch model could be similar but lower DRAM to 2 gigabytes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    LOL!
  • Reply 2 of 32
    sog35 said:
    Good.

Curved screens are so stupid.

The early TV's were all curved.  Then it was a HUGE deal when we got flat TV's. Now we want curved iPhone screens? Hell no.

We leave those crappy curved screens with Samdung
    Depends what they mean by curved. I doubt Apple was/is planning a Galaxy Edge type device. 
  • Reply 3 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Unannounced product with unannounced technology has production problems! Or the rumor was wrong in the first place. 

StrangeDaysdws-2jbdragonmike1gregg thurmanSpamSandwichanomeirelanddoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I can't believe that Apple would make a dramatic change to the screen just a few months before full product begins. It would affect too many other parts of the iPhone. If this rumor is true then it was an issue that was likely dealt with a year or more ago. 
    edited February 2017 StrangeDaysdws-2gregg thurmandoozydozentrashman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Although Apple's upcoming "iPhone 8" is expected to offer a 5.15-inch AMOLED screen with a 2K resolution, the company is dropping plans to make it curved because of problems discovered in testing, a research firm said on Tuesday.

So the thing analysts said would happen isn't gonna happen despite Apple never having said it would happen? And rather than it never being a real thing now Apple's "dropping" it?

lol
    jbdragonmike1gregg thurmananomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So based on the rumors presented on today’s AI front page we know absolutely nothing about what the next iPhone will look like, how much memory it will have, what features it will have, or what the screen will be made of. Perfect setup for disappointment.
    gregg thurmananomepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Anyone surprised?

The headline should read: "Analyst pulls wrong guess out of ass. Gets AppleInsider to help shove it back."
    jdgazbigstanthemangregg thurmananomedoozydozenpscooter63waverboywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    sog35 said:
    Good.

The early TV's were all curved.  Then it was a HUGE deal when we got flat TV's. Now we want curved iPhone screens? Hell no.

Unless Apple is able to make it useful somehow.
    But even then, I hate it when Apple seems like they're following in the footsteps of you know who.
    jbdragondoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 32

"Apple's 'iPhone 8' won't use curved OLED due to it being a stupid unnecessary gimmick."

Fixed that for you.
    Metriacanthosaurusdws-2jbdragonevilutionqwweraStrangeDaysanomebonobobdoozydozenwaverboy
  • Reply 10 of 32
    The iPhone 8 was never going to have a curved display.

It may however still have curved glass, unless this new design prohibits that.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    I don't care about the curved screen, but not having increased durability is a concern.

Ranking of importance:
    Security 
    Durability
    Price
    Battery life
    Features & Apple Apps (TouchID, updated OS, etc.)
    Performance
    Appearance (size, weight, thin'ness)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPhone 8 won't use wraparound display due to physical volume buttons existing and due to human beings sometimes dropping their phones. Who in their right mind thought a wraparound glass display was a good idea? It's almost as bad us putting a glass touch surface on a TV remove then forgetting to insulate the body for when the remote eventually falls.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Tell me again why a curved display is better?  Doesn't that mean that if the sun is reflecting from it, part of it is guaranteed to go in your friend's eye?  People complain about this aspect of their curved TV all the time and say "what was I thinking?"  Surely Apple have been able to figure this out.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    "Curved glass has been suffering in terms of both production yields and drop-test results, according to TrendForce, which cited supply chain sources."

Samsung is able to consistently manufacture this type of display for itself. Is the world expected to believe the company cannot successfully manufacture this type of display for Apple's $4.3B? 😉
    gregg thurmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sog35 said:
    Good.

I havn't seen 1 TV Reviewer that said the curved screen added anything to watching experience and in fact made things worse for those sitting off to the sides. I see them in Best Buy and I just don't get it. It's beyond dumb. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it. I don't get the whole Edge thing either on the Samesung phones. I've looked at them and I don't get it. Really, all it is, it yet another Gimmick from them. That's because if it's not a part of Android, it's a part of TouchWiz and so really has no 3rd party support. That would be a advantage for Apple as it would actually be a part of iOS, but even then I still would think of it as a Gimmick. Plus really flat out COPYING if Apple did the same dumb thing. If that is what Apple had planned, shame on them. We're 6 months away from a launch so most of these RUMORS are really a load of crap.
    edited February 2017 bigmacseekerdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I never thought a curved display from Apple would see the day. Shinny, glittery useless "fun" gimmick though. 

Fits Samsung perfectly though.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    LOL!
    i agree.  This report has to be a record for earliest "production.supply chain problem" rumor ever..  We are still 7 months away from Apple's announcement of the next generation iPhone, but here we are getting "supply constraint" rumors.  Though, I'll give TrendForce credit for rumor originality.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 32
    sog35 said:
    I'm loving these rumors.

Apple hit all time highs this morning and I sold a bunch of stock.

Thanks Tim Cook!  

I only hold about 30% of the shares I had just a couple months ago.  Went from $90 to $136.  

You keep insisting AAPL will hit $150. Why would anyone sell now if they "knew" they'd make another $14 per share? Dude, your inconsistencies are showing.
    StrangeDaysirelanddoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    sog35 said:
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    Good.

I havn't seen 1 TV Reviewer that said the curved screen added anything to watching experience and in fact made things worse for those sitting off to the sides. I see them in Best Buy and I just don't get it. It's beyond dumb. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it. I don't get the whole Edge thing either on the Samesung phones. I've looked at them and I don't get it. Really, all it is, it yet another Gimmick from them. That's because if it's not a part of Android, it's a part of TouchWiz and so really has no 3rd party support. That would be a advantage for Apple as it would actually be a part of iOS, but even then I still would think of it as a Gimmick. Plus really flat out COPYING if Apple did the same dumb thing. If that is what Apple had planned, shame on them. We're 6 months away from a launch so most of these RUMORS are really a load of crap.
    Actually I was talking about the CRT TV's from the 70s and 80s. It had a curve to them.

Then in the 90s flat TV's were coming out and everyone was so excited. Makes no sense to go back to curved displays.

And yes those curved modern TV's are pure stupidity. So much so most manufacters don't make them anymore.

TVs used to be curved outwards because a) a curved screen was easier to manufacture, and b) the curve provided structural integrity given that it was one big vacuum tube. Producing a Cathode Ray Tube with a flat screen was difficult, the best solution was the Sony Trinitron which was a cylindrical section of glass, rather than a spherical section. The reason we suddenly went to "flat" screens was that LCD displays suddenly got a lot cheaper. LCDs were easier to manufacture as flat sheets, and since they didn't have a massive vacuum behind them there was no reason to make them curve. Also, it avoided problems with the electron gun losing focus, and spherical aberration of the image at the edges.

Modern curved TVs are curved inwards, because of some idea about having all parts of the screen equidistant from the viewers' eyes (provided they sit at the focus), or providing a "surround" image. It costs way too much for basically putting an LCD screen on a curved bit of plastic (yes, I know there was some clever engineering that went into doing that, but really...), and is mostly of any value as a marketing gimmick.

Curved phones, though, are a different matter. Is the whole screen curved? Is it just at the edges? Is it concave or convex? Does it serve any actual function, rather than showing off your manufacturing ability? Does it improve the way the phone feels in the hand? Does it make it easier to accidentally activate interface objects because of how you hold your phone? To me, it seems like a solution in search of a problem. It will add cost to manufacturing, and not really deliver any value in usability.

irelandbonobobdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm loving these rumors.

Apple hit all time highs this morning and I sold a bunch of stock.

Thanks Tim Cook!  

I only hold about 30% of the shares I had just a couple months ago.  Went from $90 to $136.  

You keep insisting AAPL will hit $150. Why would anyone sell now if they "knew" they'd make another $14 per share? Dude, your inconsistencies are showing.
    Because I'm not greedy and no one is infallible. 

Like I said I still hold a 30% position in Apple.

I think there is about a 80% chance Apple hits $150 this year. But it could also drop to $120. I'd rather just lock in some profits now.

Its to risky to have more than 5% of your investments in one stock. After I sold most of my Apple Shares....
    Stop right there. No one cares what stocks you own. It's your business. Seriously, get a life.
    edited February 2017 waverboy