Wireless charging likely coming to Apple's 'iPhone 8,' but not Energous's long-range solut...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jbdragon said:
    sog35 said:
    These fake wireless charging is useless.

I'd rather just plug in and get a faster charge. Plus those 'wireless' chargers are HUGE and take up a ton of space. I need to charge 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and my Airpods. I don't have room with those big charging pads that Samdung uses.
    I agree. For one thing, Wireless charging that's been advertised is NOT wireless. That so much drives me nuts. Even my Apple Watch is not wireless because the last time i checked, the puck is connect to a long cable plugged into the wall. It would be like saying Wifi only worked so long as your phone was sitting on top of the router. Would you call that Wireless? Hell no!!! It's mat charging. I just don't get it. So now I have to clear up space to sit my phone down on and I need a mat for each place I do this,, and those mats are plugged into the wall. How exactly is this wireless? It's really just a different form of a connection. Generally not the most energy efficient. And kind of hard to use your phone and charge it at the same time. Really a Mat is no faster then just using a Dock!!! We already have those. In fact I use the Dock on my iHome Alarm clock my my bed to charge up my phone. Hell I can ever easier change settings on my Alarm clock using my phone. Good luck doing that with a Mat. If I can't walk around a room and have my phone still charging, as that's WIRELESS charging, then there's really not much point in FAKE wireless charging. What's the benefit? If Apple is going to do the same dumb fake wireless charging, I'm just not going to care. That's not going to get me to buy another phone either.
    It is wireless, not just long distance because of lack of good directionality in the transmission of its power (not knowing were the target is unless it's right on top of the mat).  Induction is how a varying electromagnetic wave INDUCES a current into a conductor it passes through (because it affects the electrons within them). That's the principle of an antenna and an induction stovetops.

So conductor with pulsating current ------ Electromagnetic field ------ Conductor with pulsating current
    What part of the energy put out as that wave gets into the second conductor is the tricky part especially if there potential humans in between.

I don't see the point myself of those current solutions as I often charge while having the device plugged in and I its terrible from an esthetic point of view and you need cumbersome mats everywhere you need to charge, but that doesn't really change the first point. It may be a useless gadget but it is wireless..

If they increase the distance enough to go through a tabletop at least the esthetic part would be fxed if not everything else.
    In that case, I could see it as an adjunct rather than a replacement for cabled charging.
    edited February 2017 ireland
  • Reply 22 of 32
    I had to make an account just to post to this thread. 

Firstly, the article states: 'One well-developed technology, Qi, utilizes one coil inside a compatible device phone needing rough alignment with a matching coil on a designated pad. The competing Airfuel specification supports a coil as well as magnetic resonance which does not need to be placed in the same proximity, or accuracy, as a device with a Qi coil.' 

Maybe you guys should visit the Qi site and read '
    Qi encompasses the benefits of both inductive and resonant charging technologies in a versatile standard that eradicates dead battery. Because inductive and resonant technologies have unique use cases and benefits, Qi products are incorporating both to offer the innovative services and features in the most energy-efficient and cost-effective possible.'

Qi is a standard for both inductive and resonance charging. Moreover, Apple joining Qi is highly likely to influence and get RF wireless charging standardized in the future. Therefore it is my belief that Apple joined Qi not to follow the leader, but to lead them to RF standardization, because Apple plans to use RF. 

Now, in regards to all of you people posting comments like you have any idea what you're talking about in respect to the effects of this electromagnetic radiation on biochemistry, you don't. Who does know? Well the FCC has an idea based on all of the empirical evidence we have to date, and who knows about the FCC regulations and the physics? The scientists and engineers working at Energous, Dialog Semiconductor, and whomever their first-tier major consumer electronics liscensee is. So, let's leave thinking to the people that have business thinking about it,and by that I mean the people that know anything about it, instead of the people (all of you) who know absolutely nothing about it. As an analogy for you guys, would it be a good idea for NASA to ask you guys how we get to Mars? Yeah, I didn't think so. 

Finally, I want to point out that this analyst is probably shorting energous' stock. Meaning that they borrowed a bunch of Energous shares at the current price, and sold them, and now they want the price to fall so they can repurchase the stocks at a lower price and pay them back to their loaner to make a profit. There is overwhelming evidence to suggest that Energous will receive FCC approval on the mid-range charging technology, AND that they are partnered with Apple. Dialog Semiconductor which is estimated to get 70-80% of its revenue from Apple, signed a contract and gave Energous $10 million. Dialog is an extremely large billion dollar company and you can bet that they did their due diligence before making a deal with Energous. It's highly possible that Apple specifically mediated the communication between Energous and Dialog to get that deal going, for the purpose of having the supply for Apple. We know Dialog did due diligence and we know Pegatron did, and IF Apple is the tier one partner then you can virtually guarantee that they all strongly believe that the FCC will approve the range charging, and it will come to Apple devices in late 2017.
    doozydozenwaverboy
  • Reply 23 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Firstly, the article states: 'One well-developed technology, Qi, utilizes one coil inside a compatible device phone needing rough alignment with a matching coil on a designated pad. The competing Airfuel specification supports a coil as well as magnetic resonance which does not need to be placed in the same proximity, or accuracy, as a device with a Qi coil.' 

Maybe you guys should visit the Qi site and read 'Qi encompasses the benefits of both inductive and resonant charging technologies in a versatile standard that eradicates dead battery. Because inductive and resonant technologies have unique use cases and benefits, Qi products are incorporating both to offer the innovative services and features in the most energy-efficient and cost-effective possible.'

Qi is a standard for both inductive and resonance charging. Moreover, Apple joining Qi is highly likely to influence and get RF wireless charging standardized in the future. Therefore it is my belief that Apple joined Qi not to follow the leader, but to lead them to RF standardization, because Apple plans to use RF. 

Now, in regards to all of you people posting comments like you have any idea what you're talking about in respect to the effects of this electromagnetic radiation on biochemistry, you don't. Who does know? Well the FCC has an idea based on all of the empirical evidence we have to date, and who knows about the FCC regulations and the physics? The scientists and engineers working at Energous, Dialog Semiconductor, and whomever their first-tier major consumer electronics liscensee is. So, let's leave thinking to the people that have business thinking about it,and by that I mean the people that know anything about it, instead of the people (all of you) who know absolutely nothing about it. As an analogy for you guys, would it be a good idea for NASA to ask you guys how we get to Mars? Yeah, I didn't think so. 

Finally, I want to point out that this analyst is probably shorting energous' stock. Meaning that they borrowed a bunch of Energous shares at the current price, and sold them, and now they want the price to fall so they can repurchase the stocks at a lower price and pay them back to their loaner to make a profit. There is overwhelming evidence to suggest that Energous will receive FCC approval on the mid-range charging technology, AND that they are partnered with Apple. Dialog Semiconductor which is estimated to get 70-80% of its revenue from Apple, signed a contract and gave Energous $10 million. Dialog is an extremely large billion dollar company and you can bet that they did their due diligence before making a deal with Energous. It's highly possible that Apple specifically mediated the communication between Energous and Dialog to get that deal going, for the purpose of having the supply for Apple. We know Dialog did due diligence and we know Pegatron did, and IF Apple is the tier one partner then you can virtually guarantee that they all strongly believe that the FCC will approve the range charging, and it will come to Apple devices in late 2017.
    So IF (to use your style guide) your theory is correct then Apple will ship this in late 2017. So a conclusion based on a guess. Interesting. Why people have doubts about Energous working with Apple is they are shooting their mouth off. They may not have mentioned Apple by name but if they were working with Apple they would have signed a NDA to not even make a mouse fart. If the past is any indication 99/100 when people are rumoured to be working with Apple based on conclusions from them shooting their mouth off the so-rumoured partnership usually never materialises. We won't know until we know. If I were a betting man I know which side my money would be on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    ireland said:

Maybe you guys should visit the Qi site and read 'Qi encompasses the benefits of both inductive and resonant charging technologies in a versatile standard that eradicates dead battery. Because inductive and resonant technologies have unique use cases and benefits, Qi products are incorporating both to offer the innovative services and features in the most energy-efficient and cost-effective possible.'

So IF (to use your style guide) your theory is correct then Apple will ship this in late 2017. So a conclusion based on a guess. Interesting. Why people have doubts about Energous working with Apple is they are shooting their mouth off. They may not have mentioned Apple by name but if they were working with Apple they would have signed a NDA to not even make a mouse fart. If the past is any indication 99/100 when people are rumoured to be working with Apple based on conclusions from them shooting their mouth off the so-rumoured partnership usually never materialises. We won't know until we know. If I were a betting man I know which side my money would be on.
    It's a guess based on evidence, not a novel thought. Is it conclusive? No. Is it strongly indicative? Seemingly. 

They did sign an NDA, as energous specifically stated. Their NDA doesn't state 'Do not mention you have any deals with anyone period'. It states "Do not disclose the logistics, strategy, or your partner's name". There is plenty of evidence that suggests the partnership. And absolutely no evidence that suggests Apple is working with anyone else on wireless charging.
    waverboy
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Inductive charging is useless; who wants charging mats everywhere?  Energous, here's hoping your true wireless solution isn't too far off.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Something fishy is going on here. Tim Cook is obsessed with secrecy (even if he doesn't do they great a job at it). Announcing that they are joining a induction wireless organization is the same as leaking future iPhone specs. It would make more sense for apple to join as a ruse. 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    jd_in_sb said:
    Something fishy is going on here. Tim Cook is obsessed with secrecy (even if he doesn't do they great a job at it). Announcing that they are joining a induction wireless organization is the same as leaking future iPhone specs. It would make more sense for apple to join as a ruse. 
    The key is that joining Qi isn't indicative of their plans, yet it is fundamentally important to their plans. I believe they joined Qi to influence the standardization of RF based wireless charging and therefore, the proliferation of RF based wireless transmitting devices. The master plan here, if you will, is to accelerate a future where Qi standard RF based charging using Energous technology is ubiquitous such that your Apple devices with Energous chip integration are distance charged in more places than they otherwise would be. 
  • Reply 28 of 32
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    imagine an office building full of long range beam forming wireless charging devices, what a killer technology :D nobody thinked of....
  • Reply 29 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    frantisek said:
    sog35 said:

I'd rather just plug in and get a faster charge. Plus those 'wireless' chargers are HUGE and take up a ton of space. I need to charge 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and my Airpods. I don't have room with those big charging pads that Samdung uses.
    None of your old devices will be able to charge wirelessly and it will be in just iPhone for some time. Everybody can decide to use it or not. To have one or more chargers. It will be convenient for heavy users to have it on work desk to extend battery life.
    With a bit of luck it won't even be a proprietary solution so that if you already have a charging mat for some other device(s) you might be able to use it with your new iPhone too.  Something uniquely Apple and Apple iPhone alone wouldn't be the greatest idea from a user standpoint IMHO. 
    I think Apple advantage in this field can be their efficiency and elegance of their inductive charging solution based on patent mentioned earlier here:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/25/apple-invention-uses-ferrofluids-to-enhance-induction-charging-performance
  • Reply 30 of 32
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    jbdragon said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

1) How do you know it will be huge? What in the physics of it says it must huge? Isn't Apple known for making things smaller?

2) You'll still be able to plug in the device to charge. This isn't an either/or situation so there's no reason to complain about it.

3) Personally, I look forward to not having to manually line up plugging in or using two hands unplug my phone. even with a weighed dock with a sticky bottom it can still require two hands to keep the dock in place. This can resolve that limitation.
    Or you use what you can already get, a DOCK. Any number of them. I use a iHome Alarm Clock. Plugs in pretty quick and easily. I can still read the screen as it's not laying flat on some dumb mat. It's a quick one hand grab on and off. I really see no benefit to fake wireless charging. Instead all we'll here is how Apple is once again lagging for this garbage that's been on Android phones for years.
    1) Calling inductive charging "fake wireless charging" is ridiculous. Not understanding what induction is doesn't mean it's a fake technology.

2) A dock doesn't make the connection any faster as you still need to plug it into the port and then remove it from the port with a certain amount of force.

3) Inductive charging or a SmartConnector would simply allow for easier charging. How is that iHome Alarm Clock working out for your in your car when you drive?
    inductive charging is 'fake wireless'

No one calls Apple Watch charger wireless.

inductive charging that is called wireless is a marketing term to sell product. You still have to physically attach you phone to the charger. that means it isn't wireless.
    By your definition, NFC is also "fake wireless" since you need to hold the device very close to make it work.

Wireless charging simply means that you do not have to attach a wire to the device in order to charge it. Inductive charging fits that definition, whether you like it or not (the phone doesn't actually need to physically touch the charger in order to work). And yes, the Apple Watch charges wirelessly, as well as the AirPods.

frantisek said:
    gatorguy said:
    frantisek said:
    sog35 said:

None of your old devices will be able to charge wirelessly and it will be in just iPhone for some time. Everybody can decide to use it or not. To have one or more chargers. It will be convenient for heavy users to have it on work desk to extend battery life.
    With a bit of luck it won't even be a proprietary solution so that if you already have a charging mat for some other device(s) you might be able to use it with your new iPhone too.  Something uniquely Apple and Apple iPhone alone wouldn't be the greatest idea from a user standpoint IMHO. 
    I think Apple advantage in this field can be their efficiency and elegance of their inductive charging solution based on patent mentioned earlier here:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/25/apple-invention-uses-ferrofluids-to-enhance-induction-charging-performance
    Not much point to that now. I can always get a good connection on my Qi wireless charging stand even if my phone is misaligned (it uses multiple coils for wide coverage). This patent would have been more useful earlier on, when Samsung was making those awful flat charging pads.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Demigod said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    jbdragon said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

1) How do you know it will be huge? What in the physics of it says it must huge? Isn't Apple known for making things smaller?

2) You'll still be able to plug in the device to charge. This isn't an either/or situation so there's no reason to complain about it.

3) Personally, I look forward to not having to manually line up plugging in or using two hands unplug my phone. even with a weighed dock with a sticky bottom it can still require two hands to keep the dock in place. This can resolve that limitation.
    Or you use what you can already get, a DOCK. Any number of them. I use a iHome Alarm Clock. Plugs in pretty quick and easily. I can still read the screen as it's not laying flat on some dumb mat. It's a quick one hand grab on and off. I really see no benefit to fake wireless charging. Instead all we'll here is how Apple is once again lagging for this garbage that's been on Android phones for years.
    1) Calling inductive charging "fake wireless charging" is ridiculous. Not understanding what induction is doesn't mean it's a fake technology.

2) A dock doesn't make the connection any faster as you still need to plug it into the port and then remove it from the port with a certain amount of force.

3) Inductive charging or a SmartConnector would simply allow for easier charging. How is that iHome Alarm Clock working out for your in your car when you drive?
    inductive charging is 'fake wireless'

No one calls Apple Watch charger wireless.

inductive charging that is called wireless is a marketing term to sell product. You still have to physically attach you phone to the charger. that means it isn't wireless.
    By your definition, NFC is also "fake wireless" since you need to hold the device very close to make it work.

Wireless charging simply means that you do not have to attach a wire to the device in order to charge it. Inductive charging fits that definition, whether you like it or not (the phone doesn't actually need to physically touch the charger in order to work). And yes, the Apple Watch charges wirelessly, as well as the AirPods.
    These people will tell you that because the charging base has a wire on it that it's not really wireless. They also say the same thing about wireless, BT sports headphones that tether the speakers. No matter what it is people always find away to shoehorn some elitist BS in their lives to prove they are better than others for products they purchase.