iOS 10 now installed on 79% of Apple's mobile devices

Posted:
in iPhone
A little over 5 months after the update's release, iOS 10 had made it onto 79 percent of iOS devices, according to official Apple statistics shared with developers.

The figure is based on App Store tracking data as of Feb. 20, Apple said. The same data indicated that 16 percent of devices are on iOS 9, while 5 percent are relying on earlier operating systems.

That would so far suggest faster adoption than iOS 9, which by the same point last year was only on 77 percent of devices, having hit 75 percent in January. That in turn outpaced iOS 8, which took about six months to reach iOS 10's current levels.

As usual, Apple didn't indicate the reasons for iOS 10's performance. One is likely the record sales of the iPhone 7, which comes with iOS 10 pre-installed.

The software brought with it a number of changes, including Siri and Maps improvements, a dedicated Home app, an overhauled Messages with its own sub-apps, and an improved notification system, including media previews and inline message replies.

The combined featureset may have enticed a number of existing device owners to upgrade. Many of the people on previous iOS releases are presumably using devices deemed incompatible with iOS 10, such as 2011's iPhone 4s.

The next major version of iOS, iOS 11, should be shown off at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, then go public sometime in the fall after a lengthy beta test.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The remaining twenty percent are the types that never update anything just because, tech luddites who refuse to move forward, and lastly the dozen or so trolls who complain about needing to be on a certain release because everything else sucks. These are the ones who yammer on about how they OWN their device and should be allowed to install anything, anywhere. Then there’s the two or three jailbreakers still strutting their stuff to look important and impress their fellow junior high emos. 
    mike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Does the 5% of earlier than iOS9 account for older devices that just can't be updated any more?
    tallest skilcalidewmepscooter63netmage
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Impressive... Most impressive.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I’d like to know the percentage of iOS 10 on devices on which it physically CAN be installed, too.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 26
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Are you kidding me???
    Only because Apple annoys the F'n S#!* out of you every time you turn your device on with their relentless pop-up windows until you just capitulate out of sheer anger and frustration. 

Honestly, its forced complience and a big steaming pile of bullshit. It's one of the worst policies of Apple and Tim should be tarred and feathered for this crap. Steve Jobs would never in his life allowed this kind of crap that ruins the user experience.

This article isn't anything to be proud of - its just stating how many people Apple made completely misserable before they caved. 
    fairwweathercaliSpamSandwichRoger_FingasStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 26
    bitmod said:
    Steve Jobs would never in his life allowed this kind of crap that ruins the user experience.
    He did. Get over it.
    StrangeDayscaliSpamSandwichpscooter63netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???
    Only because Apple annoys the F'n S#!* out of you every time you turn your device on with their relentless pop-up windows until you just capitulate out of sheer anger and frustration. 

Honestly, its forced complience and a big steaming pile of bullshit. It's one of the worst policies of Apple and Tim should be tarred and feathered for this crap. Steve Jobs would never in his life allowed this kind of crap that ruins the user experience.

This article isn't anything to be proud of - its just stating how many people Apple made completely misserable before they caved. 
    Fix your settings. My iPhone NEVER bugs me about upgrading. When a new version of iOS is available, a small red ball with "1" inside it appears next to the Settings app. That's all.
    SpamSandwichStrangeDaysnhtnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

#FakeOutrage
    caliStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

This can't possibly be true because my SO rarely updates and neither of us have noticed it on the iPad. I can't think of having seen it but I usually update in short order.

So troll harder.
    calinetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    The upgrade prompts certainly annoy the heck out of me. What really gets me is how they also try to trick you into upgrading by randomly throwing up the number pad prompt; making you think that this is the regular fingerprint prompt. That is devious. And then Tim brags about the percentage of adopters, as if this was driven by the mass appeal of the upgrade. It is dishonest. But this is standard Apple procedure these days. 

I am always cautious about upgrades. Besides my preference to have early adopters get slammed with the bugs and waiting for a fix, I have found it to be extremely rare that an upgrade from Apple hasn't wrecked something useful (sometimes many things all in one shot), so I prefer to stay with what works instead of trusting Apple's pig in a poke.
    caliStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    jd_in_sb said:
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

Fix your settings. My iPhone NEVER bugs me about upgrading. When a new version of iOS is available, a small red ball with "1" inside it appears next to the Settings app. That's all.
    Ditto - I get at most 1 notification. After that it's just the little red one on the settings app icon (and I think you can turn that off, too). If you're talking about OS X, you can turn that off too.

lkrupp said:
    The remaining twenty percent are the types that never update anything just because, tech luddites who refuse to move forward, and lastly the dozen or so trolls who complain about needing to be on a certain release because everything else sucks. These are the ones who yammer on about how they OWN their device and should be allowed to install anything, anywhere. Then there’s the two or three jailbreakers still strutting their stuff to look important and impress their fellow junior high emos. 
    It also includes my Dad who is still happily using his iPhone 4s and doesn't see the need to spend $600 on a newer one because it does everything he wants it to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Awesome! Well the iKnockoff users scream "Apple is behind!!!" with their 4 year old OS.

bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

Not sure if trolling but it doesn't bug you much. Would you rather be running an outdated OS? Maybe you should switch to cheap Android knockoffs.

The upgrade prompts certainly annoy the heck out of me. What really gets me is how they also try to trick you into upgrading by randomly throwing up the number pad prompt; making you think that this is the regular fingerprint prompt. That is devious. And then Tim brags about the percentage of adopters, as if this was driven by the mass appeal of the upgrade. It is dishonest. But this is standard Apple procedure these days. 

I am always cautious about upgrades. Besides my preference to have early adopters get slammed with the bugs and waiting for a fix, I have found it to be extremely rare that an upgrade from Apple hasn't wrecked something useful (sometimes many things all in one shot), so I prefer to stay with what works instead of trusting Apple's pig in a poke.

Wow you're complaining about upgrading to the latest software? First world problems. 
    StrangeDaysnetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Excellent. Good for Apple! :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

Steve Jobs would never...release Mobile Me. 

It prompts, I say "later". I never blindly click on yes/confirm. 

andrewj5790pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26

It's extremely rare that OS releases don't wreck things? Hmm that sounds like unsubstantiated hyperbole to me. Can you back that up please?

Also, funny that those with the most outrage almost always have short post histories.
    edited February 2017 andrewj5790pscooter63netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

For all your complaining, it obviously isn't helping very much. Only 2% ahead of last OS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Should that statistic be "iOS 10 now installed on 79% of Apple's mobile devices capable of running it" ?  I have some older mobile devices that won't go past iOS9 even though I'd like 10.

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26

jd_in_sb said:
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

Where are these settings??? I've looked. My options are harass me in an hour, 12 or tomorrow.

• Reply 19 of 26
    bitmod said:
    Steve Jobs would never in his life allowed this kind of crap that ruins the user experience.
    He did. Get over it.
    He didn't.
    And it's crap. And i'm not alone in my frustration.
    When your only long term solution is 'harass me again tomorrow'... and it pops up an hour later because the clock hit 12... BS.
    Why is there no option to 'don't remind me' like when SJ was alive.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    bitmod said:
    Are you kidding me???

This can't possibly be true because my SO rarely updates and neither of us have noticed it on the iPad. I can't think of having seen it but I usually update in short order.

So troll harder.
    Stop trolling.
    It's true and it sucks.