Apple rumored to eliminate 32GB tier with 'iPhone 8,' with capacity starting at 64GB

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    avon b7 said:

3) Not following your logic on wifi-only iPad being hampered. All of my iPads are wifi-only, and I always have wifi. Especially when updating apps or OS.
    As for micro SD, there is no real problem. Never known anyone have one go terminally bad, they are cheap and mostly sit in the same tray as the SIM. Easy to swap out and replace, way fast enough and provide a true onboard solution to low onboard storage. On my particular phone the tray holder can even serve as a second SIM slot, converting the phone into dual SIM.
    You're oversimplifying things. Support removable storage means changing how iOS works (what to do when apps or assets are missing, etc). And that storage cannot be as power efficient as the integrated storage on the mainboard. And it most certainly cannot be as space-saving -- that's a ton of volume for an optional feature. No, adding removable storage would be an entirely different iPhone. That ship has looooooooong sailed, and it ain't never coming back.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 42 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    @StrangeDays, anyone that says offers 48GB more for the price of the previous 16GB bump from Tier 1 to Tier 2 means Apple is being greedy is an obvious troll.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 43 of 46
    ireland said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

I think that's BS. Apple doesn't not produce something because of supply issues.And I'm sorry but I find it laughable that Apple wouldn't be able to source enough components.
    All. The. Fucking. Time.

This notion that because Apple is so large they can will more components into existence than are available is juvenile thinking.
    Not really. We're not talking about something new that is restrained because fabrication processes are new, yields are lower, there is more difficulty producing them etc. We are not even talking about external factors like earthquakes, flooding, fire, industrial action or availability of any of the materials that make up the modules themselves.

This is a consolidated piece. The only reason that it might be in short supply is that for some reason there isn't enough manufacturing capacity, but as I have already commented Apple sources its components well in advance and actively invests in increasing production capacity if it is deemed necessary.

The rest of the industry is not showing any signs of shortage.

A good guess is that Apple is not offering the part because it doesn't want to give users that option.

Recent history has shown that Apple marketing simply drops the sweet spot on storage on their cheaper second tier phones with the sole reason of making users have to choose between for example, 16GB (woefully inadequate) and 64GB (probably more than they actually want or need at the time). Or was there a sudden and unexplained shortage of 32GB modules that only affected Apple and nobody else in the business?

I think it's fair to say the decision was completely thought out, deliberatell and implemented to twist arms.

Of course people will just say that nobody forced us to buy iPhones but that doesn't change the situation and that's why I call it greed.

Complaining about greed in a capitalistic society? You must be naïve.

Actually, I agree with Soli. You are just a troll.

Capitalistic? When I studied economics and political sciences we were told we live in mixed economies, but that's another story.

Should that apply to the corporate values TC likes to promote? Possible tax evasion and purposefully removing a storage option your clients actually want, included?

Perhaps we should redefine troll. I have detailed exactly why I feel there is not a component shortage and in subsequent posts, gone even deeper. Neither you or Soli have offered even a minimum counterargument. No possible reason beyond 'I think...'

What's incredible is that this troll had absolutely no problem with that because this troll respects other people's opinions and doesn't prowl the forums with a torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other, screaming FANBOY!! whenever he sees someone relentlessly defending Apple at any cost. This troll also refrains from insults and name calling.

I have no issue with your agreeing with Soli but if you have anything to support the idea of why a component shortage may be the reason for any possible  missing storage options when new handsets are released I am all ears.

I think it's greed. Accept my opinion as I accept yours. Believe me, I got off the iPhone train as soon as I saw I was being short changed in many areas. I do not regret it. That doesn't make me anti iPhone or anti iPad.

It might pain you to hear it but I am an Apple customer. That gives me plenty of freedom to complain to my heart's content but never just for the sake of complaining. I always support my opinion. There are a lot of people right here who think just like me. In fact, for the amount of times I read someone has been called a troll, you could be fooled into thinking it's the majority.

That freedom to complain is not the fruit of a 'capitalistic' society. It is the fruit of something far better.

Greed is one of their corporate traits at this stage. It's one of Schiller's defining characteristics. I'd love them to call me a troll. That would be funny.

I know you aren't a troll. I am not saying greed isn't at play. I'm saying it is pointless complaining about it. It isn't going to change anything.

And Avon is a troll, not based on this, but on his/ her responses on a lot of threads.

• Reply 44 of 46
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:

I think that's BS. Apple doesn't not produce something because of supply issues.And I'm sorry but I find it laughable that Apple wouldn't be able to source enough components.
    All. The. Fucking. Time.

This notion that because Apple is so large they can will more components into existence than are available is juvenile thinking.
    Not really. We're not talking about something new that is restrained because fabrication processes are new, yields are lower, there is more difficulty producing them etc. We are not even talking about external factors like earthquakes, flooding, fire, industrial action or availability of any of the materials that make up the modules themselves.

This is a consolidated piece. The only reason that it might be in short supply is that for some reason there isn't enough manufacturing capacity, but as I have already commented Apple sources its components well in advance and actively invests in increasing production capacity if it is deemed necessary.

The rest of the industry is not showing any signs of shortage.

A good guess is that Apple is not offering the part because it doesn't want to give users that option.

Recent history has shown that Apple marketing simply drops the sweet spot on storage on their cheaper second tier phones with the sole reason of making users have to choose between for example, 16GB (woefully inadequate) and 64GB (probably more than they actually want or need at the time). Or was there a sudden and unexplained shortage of 32GB modules that only affected Apple and nobody else in the business?

I think it's fair to say the decision was completely thought out, deliberatell and implemented to twist arms.

Of course people will just say that nobody forced us to buy iPhones but that doesn't change the situation and that's why I call it greed.

Complaining about greed in a capitalistic society? You must be naïve.

Actually, I agree with Soli. You are just a troll.

Capitalistic? When I studied economics and political sciences we were told we live in mixed economies, but that's another story.

Should that apply to the corporate values TC likes to promote? Possible tax evasion and purposefully removing a storage option your clients actually want, included?

Perhaps we should redefine troll. I have detailed exactly why I feel there is not a component shortage and in subsequent posts, gone even deeper. Neither you or Soli have offered even a minimum counterargument. No possible reason beyond 'I think...'

What's incredible is that this troll had absolutely no problem with that because this troll respects other people's opinions and doesn't prowl the forums with a torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other, screaming FANBOY!! whenever he sees someone relentlessly defending Apple at any cost. This troll also refrains from insults and name calling.

I have no issue with your agreeing with Soli but if you have anything to support the idea of why a component shortage may be the reason for any possible  missing storage options when new handsets are released I am all ears.

I think it's greed. Accept my opinion as I accept yours. Believe me, I got off the iPhone train as soon as I saw I was being short changed in many areas. I do not regret it. That doesn't make me anti iPhone or anti iPad.

It might pain you to hear it but I am an Apple customer. That gives me plenty of freedom to complain to my heart's content but never just for the sake of complaining. I always support my opinion. There are a lot of people right here who think just like me. In fact, for the amount of times I read someone has been called a troll, you could be fooled into thinking it's the majority.

That freedom to complain is not the fruit of a 'capitalistic' society. It is the fruit of something far better.

Got it! You are a better breed of troll!
  • Reply 45 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    avon b7 said:

3) Not following your logic on wifi-only iPad being hampered. All of my iPads are wifi-only, and I always have wifi. Especially when updating apps or OS.
    As for micro SD, there is no real problem. Never known anyone have one go terminally bad, they are cheap and mostly sit in the same tray as the SIM. Easy to swap out and replace, way fast enough and provide a true onboard solution to low onboard storage. On my particular phone the tray holder can even serve as a second SIM slot, converting the phone into dual SIM.
    You're oversimplifying things. Support removable storage means changing how iOS works (what to do when apps or assets are missing, etc). And that storage cannot be as power efficient as the integrated storage on the mainboard. And it most certainly cannot be as space-saving -- that's a ton of volume for an optional feature. No, adding removable storage would be an entirely different iPhone. That ship has looooooooong sailed, and it ain't never coming back.
    Adding micro SD storage would be a piece of cake and definitely wouldn't take up a 'ton' of volume. Power issues would be insignificant and I'm sure even the most fervent iPhone fan would actually use it if it were available. That alone says so much.

That Apple won't implement it? Of course not. Not having it suits its pricing strategy.