Install an inexpensive USB-C PCI-E card in a Mac Pro for full USB 3.1 data transfer speeds...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71

We tested the 3,1 on El Capitan. There are hardware differences between the 3,1 and the 4,1/5,1 and I'm not going to update my 3,1 to Sierra. I presume that the card will act the same on a 3,1 running Sierra with the patch as it did on the El Capitan here, including the input device periodic dropouts. 
    Hi Mike!

As I stated in my previous message, I was not able to get the Authy card to work on my Mac Pro 3,1 under El Capitan. But once I updated the 3,1 machine to Sierra, it now works fine. How did you get it to work under El Capitan? (And yes, the card is being powered via a Molex-to-SATA power connection.)

My other question relates to my other Mac Pro, a 5,1 Mid-2010 model. Can I power the Authy card using the one free 6-pin PCI-e Power connector I have on the 5,1 motherboard? (The second PCI-e power connector is being used by the graphics card.) All the other power ports are in use by the four Hard Drives and the two Optical Drives already in the machine.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :smiley:  

Edit: I saw the link to the 6-pin PCI-e power connector you put in message 15 of this thread. That makes me hopeful it will work in my 5,1. I'd appreciate a confirmation of that, if possible. Thanks! :smile: 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 42 of 71
    I guess this topic is dead; no one has replied.  :'(

For what it's worth:

1. I could not get the Aukey card to work under OX X 10.11 El Capitan. Not on my Mac Pro 3,1 nor on my Mac Pro 5,1. It works fine under macOS 10.12 Sierra on both machines.
    2. I was (after a long search) able to find the right cables and connectors to power the Aukey card from the Video Card connector on the 5,1's motherboard. This DOES work. NOTE--> The Video Card connector on the Mac Pro 5,1 is NOT a standard PCI-Express Power connector! It is a mini PCI-Express Power port. This is a harder-to-find item; you will not get it at Micro Center or the like. I eventually found the one I'm using on ebay. ("New Mini 6-pin to 6-pin PCI Express Power Converter Cable for Mac Pro Video Card")

Good luck! 
  • Reply 43 of 71
    I gave up on this whole USB-C project and sent it all back to Amazon. I saw no benefit vs sata and some clear disadvantageous.

USB-C - No drive info passes over USB-C unless you use a third-party extension. No problem with sata.

USB-C - No trim passes over USB-C unless you use Angelbird.  No problem with sata. Without having trim, SSD’s will degrade over time.

USB-C - Not any faster then sata using standard 2.5” SSD’s.

I bought a couple of sata docks and stick my SSD’s and 3.5” spin drives in them to copy/diagnose.

For the fastest drive speed in Mac Pro’s you just can’t beat PCI SSD’s.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    One correction

This is the connector I'm using in the Mac Pro 5,1:

CONVERT REGULAR SIZE PCI-E 6 PIN TO HP SLIMLINE MINI PCI-E 6 PIN ---MADE IN USA
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    iMarc845 said:

For what it's worth:

1. I could not get the Aukey card to work under OX X 10.11 El Capitan. Not on my Mac Pro 3,1 nor on my Mac Pro 5,1. It works fine under macOS 10.12 Sierra on both machines.
    2. I was (after a long search) able to find the right cables and connectors to power the Aukey card from the Video Card connector on the 5,1's motherboard. This DOES work. NOTE--> The Video Card connector on the Mac Pro 5,1 is NOT a standard PCI-Express Power connector! It is a mini PCI-Express Power port. This is a harder-to-find item; you will not get it at Micro Center or the like. I eventually found the one I'm using on ebay. ("New Mini 6-pin to 6-pin PCI Express Power Converter Cable for Mac Pro Video Card")

Good luck! 
    Not dead, just busy :D 

Anyway, I'll delve into the system files a bit to see if there's a driver kicking about from a previous install of something. It's possible. And, if it's working because of that, then somebody has a driver that works.

It for sure is working on the 3,1 with 10.11, though. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 46 of 71
    mklackmklack Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "The power extension is child's play, though, especially if you're used to Mac Pro tinkering." I bought the Aukey PCI Express card but are having big problems with the wiring of the SATA power from the optical bay to the PCI card. I just cant find a way to lead the cables on my MP 5.1. Do you have any tips or recommendations on how to do it? (I got a SATA power cable with enough length to reach the PCI). Thank you!
  • Reply 47 of 71
    MacProGermanyMacProGermany Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    I have bought the card and still can't find the right cable here in Germany to connect to the mainboard power supply. The plug for the mainboard is a 6-pin mini version only used on Apple devices, I think. Not available in any PC-store or Amazon and eBay in Germany. I would be very thankful if someone who connected the card successfully could send me a link where I can buy the cable that fits. I will then order it in an US store if I can be shure that it will work. Thank you in advance.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    I have bought the card and still can't find the right cable here in Germany to connect to the mainboard power supply. The plug for the mainboard is a 6-pin mini version only used on Apple devices, I think. Not available in any PC-store or Amazon and eBay in Germany. I would be very thankful if someone who connected the card successfully could send me a link where I can buy the cable that fits. I will then order it in an US store if I can be shure that it will work. Thank you in advance.
    If all of your 3.5-inch drive bays aren't full, you can use a SATA power extender from one of them.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    If all of your 3.5-inch drive bays aren't full, you can use a SATA power extender from one of them.
    All my drive bays are full and I have 2 optical drives installed so I have to use the connector on the mother board.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    A molex power splitter with SATA power adapter from Molex from the optical bay works too.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    iMarc845 said:

For what it's worth:

Good luck! 
    How did you connect this to the card? I think an additional cable is needed with 6-pin PCI-Express male plug on one side and 6-pin flat female connector on side of the card. Am I right? I cannot find this at online shops or anywhere. What was your solution of this problem?
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Thank you! For the cable mentioned above an additional cable is needed. I think male PCI-E on one side and female 15-Pin on side of the card. I cannot find such a cable in stores ore online. How did you connect?
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Thank you! For the cable mentioned above an additional cable is needed. I think male PCI-E on one side and female 15-Pin on side of the card. I cannot find such a cable in stores ore online. How did you connect?
    Please see the correction to Reply 42 I posted in Reply 44 above. That is the connector I'm using in the Mac Pro 5,1 to bring power from the motherboard to the Aukey Card. It's the Mini-PCI-e power on the one side and the "standard" PCI-e power connector on the other. Once you've got the standard 6-pin PCI-e power connector, the adaptor from that to the SATA PCI Power on the Aukey card is fairly easy to find.

Good luck! I'll check back here every few days for a while to see if folks have questions.

I would still like to know how to get the Aukey card working under OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Nothing I have tried allows the card to work under that OS. I can only make it work under macOS 10.12 Sierra. And that's on both the Mac Pro 3,1 and 5,1.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    iMarc845 said:
    Please see the correction to Reply 42 I posted in Reply 44 above. That is the connector I'm using in the Mac Pro 5,1 to bring power from the motherboard to the Aukey Card. It's the Mini-PCI-e power on the one side and the "standard" PCI-e power connector on the other. Once you've got the standard 6-pin PCI-e power connector, the adaptor from that to the SATA PCI Power on the Aukey card is fairly easy to find.

I have found the mini- to standard connector but I cannot find the other one:
    6-pin standard to 15-pin to connect to the Aukey card. All adaptor cables I can find have a 15-pin male connection. The card has also a male connector so I need a female one on the cable. How did you manage this?

• Reply 55 of 71
    iMarc845 said:
    I would still like to know how to get the Aukey card working under OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Nothing I have tried allows the card to work under that OS. I can only make it work under macOS 10.12 Sierra. And that's on both the Mac Pro 3,1 and 5,1.
    I'm still working on this, as I have time.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    iMarc845 said:
    I'm still working on this, as I have time.
    Thanks, Mike! Any info you can provide is appreciated!
  • Reply 57 of 71
    subject: Auckey Card
    I have found the mini- to-standard connector mentioned in reply 44 but I cannot find out how to connect this cable to the card.
    All adaptor cables I can find have a 15-pin male connection. The card has also a male connector so I need a female one on the side of the card. How to manage this?
  • Reply 59 of 71
    Thank you,Tzmmtz,
    but these cables  will not work for me. I need to use the connector on the motherboard and I already have the cable mentioned in reply 44. It has a mini connector for the motherboard and a female standard connection on the other side. I need a cable with standard SATA on one side (no problem) but with a flat female 15pin on the other (big problem). The card has a male connector so I need a female on the cable. I wonder how people did it who say they have successfully used the motherboard connection.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    esperesper Posts: 1member
    Hi all,

I'd like some help on how to power the Aukey card.

At the moment:

- All my internal drive bays are in use
    - Both power cables for the graphics card are in use
    - I have a PCI-E SSD boot disk installed
    - I am running Sierra

There is a spare power SATA connector in the 5.25" CD Bay Area underneath the CD-ROM (which I would like to keep connected).

I can't see how to power the Aukey card as there doesn't seem to be a clear path / or gaps in the chassis so as to run a cable to it from the 5.25" CD Bay Area.

Any advice, links to appropriate purchases etc. would be great.

Thanks.