Apple's iOS 10.2.1 addresses unexpected iPhone 6, 6s shutdowns

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
Apple on Thursday revealed an iOS point update that was released a month ago includes a bug fix for an issue causing iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus and 6s Plus device owners to experience unexpected shutdowns.

With the release of iOS 10.2.1, Apple quietly patched what appears to be a power management issue that in some cases would cause iPhone 6 and 6s hardware with older batteries to shutdown.

Apple has been gathering data about the fix and its effectiveness since iOS 10.2.1 was released in late January. While the software does not completely rectify the situation, the company in a statement provided to TechCrunch notes an 80 percent reduction in shutdown symptoms on iPhone 6s devices and 70 percent on iPhone 6 units.
With iOS 10.2.1, Apple made improvements to reduce occurrences of unexpected shutdowns that a small number of users were experiencing with their iPhone. iOS 10.2.1 already has over 50% of active iOS devices upgraded and the diagnostic data we've received from upgraders shows that for this small percentage of users experiencing the issue, we're seeing a more than 80% reduction in iPhone 6s and over 70% reduction on iPhone 6 of devices unexpectedly shutting down.

We also added the ability for the phone to restart without needing to connect to power, if a user still encounters an unexpected shutdown. It is important to note that these unexpected shutdowns are not a safety issue, but we understand it can be an inconvenience and wanted to fix the issue as quickly as possible. If a customer has any issues with their device they can contact AppleCare.
According to the report, Apple determined the shutdowns are triggered by particularly intensive processing tasks. Older batteries are unable to handle the subsequent spikes in power, prompting emergency system shutdowns. New batteries are apparently left unaffected, suggesting normal hardware degradation -- often pronounced in lithium-ion cells -- is a major causal factor.

Along with the power management patch, iOS 10.2.1 integrates a new feature that allows users who experience unexpected shutdowns to simply restart their phone. Previously, users had to connect an afflicted device to a power adapter to complete the reboot operation. Additionally, Apple will soon add a "service battery" notice to the battery information tool found in the Settings app under Battery, helping owners diagnose their own hardware.

Though not a comprehensive solution, the partial fix is a welcome addition to iOS and should extend the lifecycle of older iPhone 6 and 6s devices.

The unexpected shutdown issue caused a stir earlier this year and led to reports claiming Apple would initiate a second iPhone 6s battery replacement program, but AppleInsider sources debunked those rumors. Last November, Apple issued a battery recall for a "very small" batch of iPhone 6s units due to manufacturing issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I thought the iPhone 6 wasn't having that problem? (You know, despite the ones that did, like mine did last year.)
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I guess shutting down is better than catching on fire...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Lewis FroeseLewis Froese Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    My 6s has continued to shut down as soon as it gets cool. Frustrating at the least and potentially dangerous as I use it when out snowmobiling and any other outdoor activities. I have had about seven shutdowns since October. I only take it outside when I need to. Relying on wife's 5. Phone was at London Drugs 17 days in Jan. with no battery coming. Had to pick it up b/c I needed it while my wife was away. Now it will be gone next week minimum of a week at jump.ca. They can't order a battery until the phone is in store...

Contacted Apple in December and walked through all the steps with them - a couple of hours on the phone and following steps they needed me to do despite the fact it was already public knowledge which serial numbers were affected. That's how I knew there was a recall for my phone. I found that to be ridiculous. They said they would contact me and arrange a courier. Here we are, two months later!! Hilarious. Not everyone lives close to an Apple store. Not everyone has the time to call Apple and sit on hold or walk through their required steps. 5.5 hour drive min for me. Local options are 100 kms and you see how that is going. They need to take better care of us to keep us.

edited February 2017
  • Reply 4 of 17
    The random shutdown was a bloody annoying problem with my iPhone 6s. I gave up after dealing with Apple Support, whose diagnosis and advice was plain crap. Useless.

Finally, the sap that I am, I replaced it with an iPhone 7 before I was done fully paying for the 6s. 

Apple customer service was embarrassingly pathetic on this one. 
    edited February 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 17

My 6s has continued to shut down as soon as it gets cool. 

Yes, my girlfriend's "brand new" 6s (purchased in November, winter time) was experiencing shut-downs when it got cooler. And then Apple observed a decrease in shutdowns.... when the temperatures increased? Are they factoring in ambient temperatures?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I didn't have the shutdown problem, but ever since updating to 10.2.1 I lose about 40-50% of battery over night. during the day it's fine. Anyone has any idea what to do? iPhone 6, tried fresh install an going to 10.3 beta, so far nothing worked.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 7 of 17
    My 6s has continued to shut down as soon as it gets cool. Frustrating at the least and potentially dangerous as I use it when out snowmobiling and any other outdoor activities. I have had about seven shutdowns since October. I only take it outside when I need to. Relying on wife's 5. Phone was at London Drugs 17 days in Jan. with no battery coming. Had to pick it up b/c I needed it while my wife was away. Now it will be gone next week minimum of a week at jump.ca. They can't order a battery until the phone is in store...

Contacted Apple in December and walked through all the steps with them - a couple of hours on the phone and following steps they needed me to do despite the fact it was already public knowledge which serial numbers were affected. That's how I knew there was a recall for my phone. I found that to be ridiculous. They said they would contact me and arrange a courier. Here we are, two months later!! Hilarious. Not everyone lives close to an Apple store. Not everyone has the time to call Apple and sit on hold or walk through their required steps. 5.5 hour drive min for me. Local options are 100 kms and you see how that is going. They need to take better care of us to keep us.
    only 7 shutdowns since october?! a little over one per month. try 7 shutdowns per week, thats what my wife's 6S gets - even with this update. My 6S since updating is definitely doing it less but still happens about once a week - 9/10 its when I try to take a photo or go to make a call. 

I'm in same boat with the "not living near an apple store", I can't afford to take time off work (2 days) to make 2 round trips (4hrs each) to get my phone fixed. I was offered the mail-in service but i'd be without phone for "approx. 2 weeks" with no replacement during that time. We're just going to try and hold out till september and get them fixed once we have the new iphones.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 8 of 17
    I faced these shutdowns several times. And each time, when I connected the charger, the phone would come back on, showing 30% battery. After a point, I didn't want to take chances and spent Rs 4200 replacing my battery! I thought about buying the iPhone 7, but then felt it was better to wait for the anniversary edition phone to be released in a few months! In any case, I want to give my phone to someone else, so it would not be usable if it was shutting down randomly!

And now I find out that this has nothing to do with my battery, it is a problem with the OS!! So effectively I wasted Rs 4200 on a battery change that was not needed at all!

This is the sort of crap that really angers customers about Apple. Why should we fork out serious money on lightning cables just because Apple doesn't know how to make good quality cables? And why would there be third party chargers and cables that cause problems if Apple charged a reasonable amount for their own products?

I will be one of those rubbing their hands in glee when karma catches up to this company, and its hit with a massive massive problem! Something so big, it wipes out all the stashes of wealth they have acquired by ripping off their own customers in multifarious ways.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 17
    IMHO, this is utter BS. Apple is releasing "something" that doesn't even make sense to begin with only to keep the masses quiet. I had my iPhone 6 completely replaced for a new unit in the Apple Store only weeks ago because of this very problem after battling it for months. Ironically my other phone which is a 6S works just fine. So no Apple, it's not about apps using excessive battery or whatever nonsense you want us to believe, I can kill all apps and still easily simulate the problem out in cold weather. It's about some percentage of iPhones having faulty batteries, nothing more, nothing less. This problem only seems to develop after certain time so you better hope your iPhone is still covered by warranty, otherwise you're out of luck. They just don't want to acknowledge such problem exists because it would result in a mass recall, so they handle it on a case by case basis. And yes, my battery mostly suffered in low temperatures, it went down from 40-50% to 1% within minutes for no apparent reason and then back up to 30% once I plugged it into the charger. And btw my wife has a 5S and experiences exactly the same problems, it's way more widespread than Apple would ever like to publicly admit. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Yes, my girlfriend's "brand new" 6s (purchased in November, winter time) was experiencing shut-downs when it got cooler. And then Apple observed a decrease in shutdowns.... when the temperatures increased? Are they factoring in ambient temperatures?
    It happened mostly as batteries approached zero charge -- and cold temperatures will tend to trigger that.   It's not really a temperature issue.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    The random shutdown was a bloody annoying problem with my iPhone 6s. I gave up after dealing with Apple Support, whose diagnosis and advice was plain crap. Useless.

Finally, the sap that I am, I replaced it with an iPhone 7 before I was done fully paying for the 6s. 

Apple customer service was embarrassingly pathetic on this one. 
    I had the same experience.   I ended up replacing the battery last week!  

Thanks, you made me feel better about the $50 cost -- I too could have gone for a new phone instead!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mygig said:
    I didn't have the shutdown problem, but ever since updating to 10.2.1 I lose about 40-50% of battery over night. during the day it's fine. Anyone has any idea what to do? iPhone 6, tried fresh install an going to 10.3 beta, so far nothing worked.
    Go to "Battery" in the Settings app.   That will show which apps have used how much battery over the last 24 hours.

Another possibility is WiFi.   Sometimes bedrooms get a poor WiFi signal and the phone keeps searching for the WiFi and switching back and forth between broadband and WiFi.

Or, do what I do -- just plug it in to charge overnight.  
  • Reply 13 of 17
    macarena said:
    I faced these shutdowns several times. And each time, when I connected the charger, the phone would come back on, showing 30% battery. After a point, I didn't want to take chances and spent Rs 4200 replacing my battery! I thought about buying the iPhone 7, but then felt it was better to wait for the anniversary edition phone to be released in a few months! In any case, I want to give my phone to someone else, so it would not be usable if it was shutting down randomly!

And now I find out that this has nothing to do with my battery, it is a problem with the OS!! So effectively I wasted Rs 4200 on a battery change that was not needed at all!

This is the sort of crap that really angers customers about Apple. Why should we fork out serious money on lightning cables just because Apple doesn't know how to make good quality cables? And why would there be third party chargers and cables that cause problems if Apple charged a reasonable amount for their own products?

I will be one of those rubbing their hands in glee when karma catches up to this company, and its hit with a massive massive problem! Something so big, it wipes out all the stashes of wealth they have acquired by ripping off their own customers in multifarious ways.
    Console yourself that the problem happened as batteries got old and weak -- so you were probably due for a new battery anyway.

And, as for Apple:  Yes, it was a shame so many people (like me) spent money unnecessarily to fix a software problem   But, at least Apple diagnosed and fixed the problem.   That would not have happened if you had a Samsung phone.   Apple does stand behind its products.   Maybe not to the degree everybody would like.  But they do stand behind them.

In this case, they could have given their support teams a heads up a few months ago that they suspected a software problem and that they might be coming out with a fix soon.  That would have let people make better decisions.   (And, I suspect that they maybe could have released the fix sooner than they did.  They may have taken the problem too lightly.)
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mygig said:
    Go to "Battery" in the Settings app.   That will show which apps have used how much battery over the last 24 hours.

Another possibility is WiFi.   Sometimes bedrooms get a poor WiFi signal and the phone keeps searching for the WiFi and switching back and forth between broadband and WiFi.

Or, do what I do -- just plug it in to charge overnight.  
    Oh really? So what if I told you that my iPad, my windows phone and my android phone didn't lose that much battery overnight while lying next to my iPhone? Because I had similar problems with my iPhone 6 before they finally replaced it at the Apple Store due to faulty battery. The battery usage history will not reveal anything unusual either just by the way.
  • Reply 15 of 17

It happened mostly as batteries approached zero charge -- and cold temperatures will tend to trigger that.   It's not really a temperature issue.
    You have clearly no idea what you're talking about. I have heard about this very problem from a number of my friends, relatives and colleagues who have 5S/6/6S and I have been fighting this problem myself as I already described in my post above. You can have a fully charged phone and it'll die out in cold, that's how serious this problem is. I can send you footage of this if you're too stubborn to believe that iPhones do have a temperature related problem. And I'm not even speaking of freezing temperatures, my wife recently tried to shoot a video with her 5S in an ice hockey stadium and the phone just died because of the low temperature. And the best part? You warm the device up a little and it's back to normal. I have yet to experience this with any other smartphone, for those who would try to argue that this is normal battery behavior, because no, it's definitely not. And I'm truly shocked that those Apple geniuses will pretend they've never even heard about this before. So this is how the company stands behind their products and their problems? Well here's the real problem my friend - if my iPhone 6 wasn't still under warranty at the time I took it to the Apple Store, I would only have two options - buy a new battery or a new phone. That's what the genius person told me right away. So how different is this from Samsung or any other company?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    pepe779 said:

You have clearly no idea what you're talking about. I have heard about this very problem from a number of my friends, relatives and colleagues who have 5S/6/6S and I have been fighting this problem myself as I already described in my post above. You can have a fully charged phone and it'll die out in cold, that's how serious this problem is. I can send you footage of this if you're too stubborn to believe that iPhones do have a temperature related problem. And I'm not even speaking of freezing temperatures, my wife recently tried to shoot a video with her 5S in an ice hockey stadium and the phone just died because of the low temperature. And the best part? You warm the device up a little and it's back to normal. I have yet to experience this with any other smartphone, for those who would try to argue that this is normal battery behavior, because no, it's definitely not. And I'm truly shocked that those Apple geniuses will pretend they've never even heard about this before. So this is how the company stands behind their products and their problems? Well here's the real problem my friend - if my iPhone 6 wasn't still under warranty at the time I took it to the Apple Store, I would only have two options - buy a new battery or a new phone. That's what the genius person told me right away. So how different is this from Samsung or any other company?
    Batteries are do what batteries tend to do:   Weaken and even die when exposed to cold.   Deal with it.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Lewis FroeseLewis Froese Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    "It is important to note that these unexpected shutdowns are not a safety issue, but we understand it can be an inconvenience..." from Apple. I feel it is an issue of safety when I no longer use it outdoors because it shuts down every time it gets cool. No phone equals no access to GPS, emergency services, online fixes for snowmobile breakdowns, or even as an emergency light source. 

It might not be a problem for most users, but not every 6s user is in the same circumstances. People are only going to use the phones more outdoors as they become more rugged and waterproof. They need to work for everyone they sell to.