Contradictory report cites 5 Apple wireless charging teams on 'iPhone 8,' no tech breakthr...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    wizard69 said:
    The media in general seems to have a considerable amount of hate for Apple lately.    I really don't know why.    Sure Apple does things that are absolutely stupid but on a balance they still are on the good side or respectability.   

What is more funny is that Apple is a very left leaning company yet it is attacked by the left leaning media.   Makes no sense really.   There does seem to be a general trend of the last few months though for the media to print articles obviously issued from their asses.   This is probably due to the fact that once you burn credibility no amount of garbage matters anymore.    It is a strange time we live in where the make believe is given more worth than reality.
    Yes, spawning such nonsensical claims such as "alternative facts". 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    wizard69 said:

anome said:
    levi said:
    So in short, the phone is rumored to have a radical redesign and many new features, but isn't expected to be a radical redesign or include many new features...
    I think it is entirely safe to say that the phone will have a radical redesign and many new features, and the fraudulent tech media will do its duty in reporting it as NOT a radical redesign and NOT new features.

...following which, the product will sell very well anyway, suggesting that media hocus-pocus isn't fooling anyone — either because consumers see through it or because their passion drowns it out.

Despite everything, the tech punditry continue to play the same hand. Why? Are they compensated by competitors? Are they fearful of being reviled as fanboys? Are they blinded by resentment? Or do readership analytics favour negative reporting? Damn, deception and bias seem to be everywhere.

I think it's more that they're sure they're going to be right eventually, and then they can claim to have called it in advance. They don't change their line, because if this time is the time they're right, they don't want to look stupid for having changed their mind just beforehand. Besides, it's not like they ever have to face any consequences for being wrong.

So, for what it's worth, I predict the 10th Anniversary iPhone 8 X will include totally wireless charging, by tapping into the Earth's magnetic field requiring no external power source, have an internal hologram projector for 3D Facetime, and come with a personal protection Force Field that will protect not only the phone, but also the user in the case of sudden impacts or accidents.

Despite all this, it will look exactly like the iPhone 7, and therefore Apple clearly can't innovate anymore, and they are obviously doomed.

Ah yes the personal defense shield model!    What is sad is that we might see your projections here actually trumpeted by one of these rumor mongers in a couple of weeks.   of course the text will be obfuscated to make the source hard to verify.   Ticks of the trade of being an analyst.
    That's what I'm hoping for. Finally made it in the world of tech punditry!
  • Reply 23 of 32
    wizard69 said:
    The media in general seems to have a considerable amount of hate for Apple lately.    I really don't know why.    Sure Apple does things that are absolutely stupid but on a balance they still are on the good side or respectability.   

What is more funny is that Apple is a very left leaning company yet it is attacked by the left leaning media.   Makes no sense really.   There does seem to be a general trend of the last few months though for the media to print articles obviously issued from their asses.   This is probably due to the fact that once you burn credibility no amount of garbage matters anymore.    It is a strange time we live in where the make believe is given more worth than reality.
    Yes, spawning such nonsensical claims such as "alternative facts". 

Whenever I hear the phrase "alternative facts" I can't help but think of Todd Snider's "Talking Seattle Grunge Rock Blues" - "Silence: Music's original alternative."

With my background in Philosophy of Science (I did a unit in it at University), I prefer "Counterfactuals", although it's not clear the strict definitions apply in this instance.

• Reply 24 of 32
    Pad charging is pointless and even more inconvenient.... now i have to make room for another device on my table, night stand, desk..etc......which is plugged it the wall And place my other device on top of it to charge... why? Much simpler to just plug the wire in directly in my iPhone .. without the need of the charging pad. One thing i always wonder... why not incorporate magsafe type portS on iPhones and iPads?? (But hey.. me and my wishes,lol........... they just got rid of magsafes on macbooks...stupid )
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Will we ever stop hearing that Apple is doomed?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    bluefire1 said:
    Will we ever stop hearing that Apple is doomed?

Only when it does eventually cease operations, or the heat-death of the Universe. Whichever comes first.
    bigpicswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    frantisek said:
    I think Apple advantage in this field can be their efficiency and elegance of their inductive charging solution based on patent that relaxes need for strict positioning as mentioned earlier here:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/25/apple-invention-uses-ferrofluids-to-enhance-induction-charging-performance
    Apple isn't doing inductive charging with the iPhone. Apple is doing RF-based wireless charging. Even if they didn't get distance-based RF charging, the RF contact charging via Energous chip integration directly into the Dialog power management chips that Apple currently uses is by far the best thing to do. It adds no thickness to the device and the chip is absolutely tiny compared to the coil required for inductive charging. 

Apple is likely working with Energous to revolutionize wireless charging via distance. It uses 1 tiny chip that is capable of contact clear up to 15 feet of distance charging. Everyone will get contact charging for very cheap and those who want distance will need to buy the transmitter device which I predict is a Siri home device. 
    You seem to have signed up just to promote the idea of a big Apple-Energous collaboration, despite other reports that that's likely not a thing. Did you buy some Energous stock or something?
    I have not bought Energous stock, but I'm strongly considering it. I'm merely promoting evidence as opposed to analyst reports which by definition could be specifically designed to get the stock price to fall because they are shorting it. I'm most interested in wireless distance charging coming to future Apple devices because that is absolutely the most revolutionary thing in smartphones since iPhone's inception. I like technological leaps. Inductive is too boring and borderline useless to draw anything but sighing at Apple's lack of innovation if they do that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    bigpics said:
    I don't enjoy being the skunk at the perfume party, but among all the technorati, who are supposedly among the most scientifically literate segment of the population, when this (wireless charging) is brought up, the inefficiency of the process (i.e., all the generated electricity just pissed out into the "ether") is seldom if ever mentioned.  

You might say we're only talking about a few thousand milliamps, but take that times 2 or 3 billion devices mostly charged everyday, and hello more global climate change.

I will stick with wired charging for as long as it's available.

OK, you may now return to your wish-listing as Gaia weeps..... 

What you said reminded me of this group of pundits who want the Apple Watch to function independently of the iPhone without thoughts of the battery life of the device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Pad charging is pointless and even more inconvenient.... now i have to make room for another device on my table, night stand, desk..etc......which is plugged it the wall And place my other device on top of it to charge... why? Much simpler to just plug the wire in directly in my iPhone .. without the need of the charging pad. One thing i always wonder... why not incorporate magsafe type portS on iPhones and iPads?? (But hey.. me and my wishes,lol........... they just got rid of magsafes on macbooks...stupid )
    Magsafe has a couple problems on iOS devices:

- plug bulk
    - data interruption 
    - devices with good battery life that arent often being used in a ported, stationary position anyway
    - lightness of device as anchor
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32

AppleZulu said:
    frantisek said:
    I think Apple advantage in this field can be their efficiency and elegance of their inductive charging solution based on patent that relaxes need for strict positioning as mentioned earlier here:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/25/apple-invention-uses-ferrofluids-to-enhance-induction-charging-performance
    Apple isn't doing inductive charging with the iPhone. Apple is doing RF-based wireless charging. Even if they didn't get distance-based RF charging, the RF contact charging via Energous chip integration directly into the Dialog power management chips that Apple currently uses is by far the best thing to do. It adds no thickness to the device and the chip is absolutely tiny compared to the coil required for inductive charging. 

Apple is likely working with Energous to revolutionize wireless charging via distance. It uses 1 tiny chip that is capable of contact clear up to 15 feet of distance charging. Everyone will get contact charging for very cheap and those who want distance will need to buy the transmitter device which I predict is a Siri home device. 
    You seem to have signed up just to promote the idea of a big Apple-Energous collaboration, despite other reports that that's likely not a thing. Did you buy some Energous stock or something?
    I have not bought Energous stock, but I'm strongly considering it. I'm merely promoting evidence as opposed to analyst reports which by definition could be specifically designed to get the stock price to fall because they are shorting it. I'm most interested in wireless distance charging coming to future Apple devices because that is absolutely the most revolutionary thing in smartphones since iPhone's inception. I like technological leaps. Inductive is too boring and borderline useless to draw anything but sighing at Apple's lack of innovation if they do that. 
    There's that trope again. Look, even if Apple did incorporate pad charging, which i doubt, it wouldnt mean "Apple can't innovate!". They're one of the prime movers in multiple sectors and are constantly innovating. What many people dont realize is innovation doesn't mean brand new Feature X -- it is often unsung, such as the various improvements to display tech. etc.... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    levi said:
    So in short, the phone is rumored to have a radical redesign and many new features, but isn't expected to be a radical redesign or include many new features...
    I think it is entirely safe to say that the phone will have a radical redesign and many new features, and the fraudulent tech media will do its duty in reporting it as NOT a radical redesign and NOT new features.

...following which, the product will sell very well anyway, suggesting that media hocus-pocus isn't fooling anyone — either because consumers see through it or because their passion drowns it out.

Despite everything, the tech punditry continue to play the same hand. Why? Are they compensated by competitors? Are they fearful of being reviled as fanboys? Are they blinded by resentment? Or do readership analytics favour negative reporting? Damn, deception and bias seem to be everywhere.

I believe there are multiple reasons for the tech press' consistent, negative coverage of Apple. First, is not understanding Apple. They don't operate in the same way as most technology companies, from its design ethos to its org operating structure. Second, I believe they're uneasy with the imbalance of power between Apple and the media. Media outlets needs Apple much more than Apple needs most media outlets, at least compared to other companies. Apple doesn't run banner ads, and they've shown that they are willing to remove media invites from their events at will. Lastly, I think there is a tendency to attempt to knock those at the top down from their perceived pedestals. this is why media will build up an underdog, but then pivot the narrative and work on bringing that success story back down. 

Put out those all together and you have a hostile narrative.
    This is exactly why Apple needs to start advertising the company itself (not just the products), because the negative narrative is winning by a landslide. Apple has the credibility to back up its many fantastic qualities: design ethos and integrity (e.g. build quality, lack of gimmicks), environment (so many examples, but one that's less obvious but still very significant is how long Apple devices last vs others), worker ethics, security/privacy, etc. (Also, I don't think Tim's unsolicited forays into political topics is doing Apple any favors.)

google is still coasting off their douchey 'don't be evil' tagline

Apple can easily promote its qualities without the doucheyness.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 32
    My thing that makes me think wireless charging could work is this: When I wake up from being plugged into the lightning cable, I am at 100%. After about 4 hours I am at about 99 or 98%. Then at night I am about at 97 or 96 when I goto bed. So here is the catch and why I feel it may work. I work from home, so if I had the charger in my front room, wirelessly charging, MY GOSH it only loses like 1% every 4 hours. If the wireless charging wants to keep my phone at 100% it "REALLY" wouldn't be that hard to do. This is with Watch and AirPods and I don't really use my phone that much at all, I often get the 48 hours warning for my PIN...
    watto_cobra