Rumor: Apple to launch 'iPad Pro 2,' red iPhone 7, 128GB iPhone SE at March event

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    Obviously, greedily, the introduction of a 128 GB SE sees Schiller can (I'm dyslexic; 'can'?) the 64 GB model and the $449 price point. His nickname should not be mini-Steve, but rather Mr. upsell. 
    I disagree on the greed.  The SE is a low cost base model.  As such, its buyers are less likely to take on a $120/yr Apple Music payment and instead download songs as wanted.  That increases the need for additional storage.
    Because it couldn't possibly have anything to do with a 12MP camera, Live photos, and the ability to shoot 4K video?
    baconstang
  • Reply 62 of 79
    It would be a win for Apple to create a 4 inch iPhone 7 to replace the SE models.  Also, slow the iPhone hardware cycle to 2 years.
    williamlondondtb200cornchip
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Amy28 said:
    I've got my fingers crossed for a USB port on the iPad, but haven't heard anything yet that hints at that being a possibility.
    Why?

Would one of these things do what you need?: Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

From the product page:
    "Add even greater capability and versatility to your iPad Pro by powering the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter with a USB Power Adapter. Then you can connect USB peripherals like hubs, Ethernet adapters, audio/MIDI interfaces, and card readers for CompactFlash, SD, microSD, and more."
  • Reply 64 of 79
    ireland said:
    Amy28 said:
    I've got my fingers crossed for a USB port on the iPad, but haven't heard anything yet that hints at that being a possibility.
    It likely won't happen, but it would be very interesting. Of course only a USBc port would make sense (as opposed to another type of USB port). And were it included Lightning would have to go. Jony Ive wouldn't sleep with two of those ports in there and consumers would be confused.
    I seriously doubt the consumer would be confused between USB-C and Lightning. They look completely different and are different sizes. Consumers have been dealing with far more confusing standards like micro USB, mini USB, et al. Besides, they're not going to be anymore confused than with a MBP in which some of the USB-c ports are Thunderbolt and others are just 3.1, which Apple seemed to think was just fine to release like that.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    What the iPad range needs is handwriting recognition built in. Apple owns all the patents (from the days of Newton) so no one else can do it. We have the stylus and the screen, we just need the killer app - HWR!
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Got my new MBPwTB15i.
    Took me a while to process that!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 67 of 79
    It would be a win for Apple to create a 4 inch iPhone 7 to replace the SE models.  Also, slow the iPhone hardware cycle to 2 years.

The iPhone hardware cycle is already 2 years. It's just that there are 2 hardware cycles alternating.
    sphericradarthekatdtb200
  • Reply 68 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Amy28 said:
    It likely won't happen, but it would be very interesting. Of course only a USBc port would make sense (as opposed to another type of USB port). And were it included Lightning would have to go. Jony Ive wouldn't sleep with two of those ports in there and consumers would be confused.
    I seriously doubt the consumer would be confused between USB-C and Lightning. They look completely different and are different sizes. Consumers have been dealing with far more confusing standards like micro USB, mini USB, et al. Besides, they're not going to be anymore confused than with a MBP in which some of the USB-c ports are Thunderbolt and others are just 3.1, which Apple seemed to think was just fine to release like that.
    Judging by the tech specs page your information seems to be inaccurate.
    chia
  • Reply 69 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

That'd be death rep-wise.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    I am wishing for an iPad mini Pro. I prefer it to iPhone for reading and gaming, and with my large hands, is much better for mobile work and study than Pro/Air or mega Pro. Fingers crossed!
  • Reply 71 of 79
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ireland said:
    Amy28 said:
    Interesting thought.   But, if it happens, I suspect that that will be somewhere down the road.
    Right now two things involved appear to be in flux: 
    -  Connectors/Ports:  Do we need a lightening port (Iphone)?   Or maybe a USB-C (MBP)?  Or, maybe nothing (Apple Watch).
    -  How close will the IPad Pro come to be being a laptop and when?  I see an external mouse/trackpad as being a logical extension of the external keyboard.   But putting in a USB-C...   Ummm...   That would be serious laptop competition.  I suspect that more than a few commenters here would self-implode.
    Being fixated on this mouse cursor thing—stop.
    Sorry!
    But I want to see Apple survive.   Locking the MacBook line into being strictly a laptop form factor while locking the IPad line into being strictly a tablet form factor is locking Apple into the past; using old, soon to be obsolete technology.   Steve would NOT approve.  At all.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Obviously, greedily, the introduction of a 128 GB SE sees Schiller can (I'm dyslexic; 'can'?) the 64 GB model and the $449 price point. His nickname should not be mini-Steve, but rather Mr. upsell. 
    I disagree on the greed.  The SE is a low cost base model.  As such, its buyers are less likely to take on a $120/yr Apple Music payment and instead download songs as wanted.  That increases the need for additional storage.
    Because it couldn't possibly have anything to do with a 12MP camera, Live photos, and the ability to shoot 4K video?
    You can store them in the ICloud either for free or $0.99 a month.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    From a strictly form factor viewpoint that makes sense.   But, it would take Apple out of any but the upper end lines.   As smart phone technology matures, that would shrink Apple's base much the way a $2,500 Macintosh restricted its marketability.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    steveau said:
    What the iPad range needs is handwriting recognition built in. Apple owns all the patents (from the days of Newton) so no one else can do it. We have the stylus and the screen, we just need the killer app - HWR!
    Use your Apple Watch.  It works well.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    brakken said:
    I am wishing for an iPad mini Pro. I prefer it to iPhone for reading and gaming, and with my large hands, is much better for mobile work and study than Pro/Air or mega Pro. Fingers crossed!
    I too prefer the IPad Mini to the IPad.   It's just easier to handle, doesn't feel as clunky.

But, converting the IPad Mini from a mid-tier to an upper-tier device would mean Apple has no mid-tier tablets in the market.

Plus, why would you need a Pro level tablet for reading and gaming?   Even the Mini 2 which is almost 4 years old does those things pretty well.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    New iPhone line up:

4.7" budget iPhone $600
    5.5" phablet iPhone $700
    4" premium iPhone. $850
    5.8" borderless iPhone 8 cutting edge $1,000
  • Reply 77 of 79
    I would like to see Apple put in a better facetime camera and the capacitive home button on the SE. Everything else can stay the same for me.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    If this is true, explain to me why I need to use iTunes on the desktop to get my personal video library saved to my iPad Pro? I love my iPad but until I don't need to use desktop iTunes it will never be a complete PC replacement.
    Why not use the Apple camera connection cable, lightning thumb drive or a WiFi hard drive?
  • Reply 79 of 79
    ireland said:
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    Amy28 said:
    Judging by the tech specs page your information seems to be inaccurate.

This is what I was referring to:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207256

Thunderbolt 3 data speeds per MacBook Pro port

MacBook Pro models introduced in 2016 vary slightly in the data speeds they provide to each Thunderbolt 3 port.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) supports Thunderbolt 3 at full performance using the two left-hand ports. The two right-hand ports deliver Thunderbolt 3 functionality, but have reduced PCI Express bandwidth.

Always plug higher-performance devices into the left-hand ports on MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) for maximum data throughput.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/29/two-of-four-thunderbolt-3-ports-in-new-13-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-have-reduced-speeds

Regardless of the actual throughput, the four ports differ in capability, without any clear indication of which does what.
    edited March 2017