Jeep & Porsche reveal new vehicles equipped for Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Two major automakers, Jeep and Porsche, this week announced early details on new vehicles supporting Apple's CarPlay -- the latter company offering the platform on an unusually large 12.3-inch touchscreen.

Jeep's 2017 Compass, a compact SUV, will offer both CarPlay and Android Auto on 7- and 8.4-inch configurations of the Uconnect dash interface. A 5-inch screen will be available, but lack support.

The new Porsche is the 2018 Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, which the German company describes as the first plug-in hybrid to become a flagship in the Panamera line. Its touchscreen will be among the largest of any supporting CarPlay, whether built-in or aftermarket. It's in fact just 0.6 inches short of Apple's biggest iPad Pro, drawing a closer comparison to the 17-inch display in the Tesla Model S.

The new Panamera model will also support control of charging functions through the Porsche Connect app, which supports both the iPhone and the Apple Watch.

Neither Jeep nor Porsche have provided firm release dates, and pricing for the 2017 Compass is unavailable. The Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, though, will start at $184,400, plus $1,050 for delivery. An even more expensive version, the Turbo S E-Hybrid Executive, will run upwards of $194,800.

Both implementations of CarPlay are likely to require wired connections to an iPhone. Wireless support, promised by Apple a long time ago, is only due to make its real debut through 2017 BMW models, as well as an upcoming Alpine receiver.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Good for Porsche's rich customers base. We need Carplay in cars that average people buys and make best use of it on a daily basis. Toyota and others, give up your stupid pride and join carplay for your loyal customers.
    Roger_Fingaswatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Jeep announced this for the 2017 Compass months ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    The Compass is a joke. Who cares?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    dougd said:
    Well a lot of people do since this is a totally brand new Jeep Compass from the ground up. I assume you're thinking of the old Compass which was discontinued in December. You can see by the picture that its not the same Compass, but then again you probably just read the headline and posted. 
    edited February 2017 watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 5 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    macxpress said:
    dougd said:
    Well a lot of people do since this is a totally brand new Jeep Compass from the ground up. I assume you're thinking of the old Compass which was discontinued in December. You can see by the picture that its not the same Compass, but then again you probably just read the headline and posted. 
    You good. More power to you for details.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sog35 said:
    Is this wireless Carplay?  Or you do need to akwardly plug in?

No, you can plug it in gracefully, tho...
    mpantoneroundaboutnowwatto_cobrakuducornchip
  • Reply 7 of 19
    sog35 said:

It's not so awkward. Probably supports bluetooth audio anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Plus the cable charges the phone. 

I don't have CarPlay in my old Toyota, but I do have a Pioneer after-market car stereo with USB input and I don't have any problems with plugging my phone with a cable.

I might as well take advantage of the power that my car's engine is generating while I'm behind the wheel. The phone isn't going to charge itself.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 9 of 19
    My wife's new car has CarPlay but the display is not a touchscreen. I have to use the controls that are built into the car, and I find that mildly obnoxious. Making matters worse, some of the controls are not supported at all (the steering wheel, though they work for the radio and other things), and some are only partially supported (the touch pad on the console will let me "click" on an icon but not select different icons). The only control that works for everything is the little wheel on the console and it's not particularly good at its CarPlay job. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    Wireless connection and charging, please 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    sog35 said:

I'd rather plug it in because then it also charges your phone while you're using CarPlay. I wonder how much battery wireless CarPlay uses? I guess maybe it depends on what you're doing. 
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 12 of 19
    wood1208 said:
    Good for Porsche's rich customers base. We need Carplay in cars that average people buys and make best use of it on a daily basis. Toyota and others, give up your stupid pride and join carplay for your loyal customers.
    There are plenty of much cheaper options to choose from than a Porsche that have CarPlay. You can use your wallet wisely and just not buy a car if it does't have CarPlay. If Toyota sees that people are moving away from their brand because of the lack of CarPlay/Android Auto support they'll change their tune. Its only a matter of time. 
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 13 of 19
    My wife's new car has CarPlay but the display is not a touchscreen. I have to use the controls that are built into the car, and I find that mildly obnoxious. Making matters worse, some of the controls are not supported at all (the steering wheel, though they work for the radio and other things), and some are only partially supported (the touch pad on the console will let me "click" on an icon but not select different icons). The only control that works for everything is the little wheel on the console and it's not particularly good at its CarPlay job. 
    That does not sound like a very good implementation of CarPlay. I didn't realize that a car manufacturer had that much leeway. What car?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    That does not sound like a very good implementation of CarPlay. I didn't realize that a car manufacturer had that much leeway. What car?
    It's a 2017 Mercedes-Benz E300. Don't get me wrong, I like having CarPlay (and, no, it isn't wireless) but using the wheel just makes it clunky. 

For instance, say I'm listening to music and have the Now Playing screen up but I want to go to the home screen. First, I have to "scroll" left from the Play/Pause button to the Last Track button. Then another turn of the wheel to the left (I can also nudge the wheel side to side to get the same action on screen) takes me to the top row of controls, even though the Home button is left of the Last Track button. Then I have to scroll through all of the buttons on the top row before the selection will get to the Home button. 

Obviously, if it was a touch screen I could touch the Home button and be done. 

One thing that surprised me is that "Hey, Siri" works for pretty much everything you'd expect; changing music, initiating calls, sending texts, checking the weather or sports scores, etc. I haven't tried asking it to do any HomeKit actions yet, but I'll give it a shot. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 15 of 19
    wood1208 said:
    you can buy an aftermarket head unit and use it in about any car.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    sog35 said:

No, you can plug it in gracefully, tho...
    When plugging my cables in, I always strive for finesse.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    In Europe, Porsche has been supplying all of its cars with Carplay as an option since early 2016.
    This article references to the fact the Panamera will come with the largest screen ever supporting carpal, nothing else.
    Now, Wireless Carplay is supposedly coming in 2017 in Europe on selected models.
    My Boxster 718 is being delivered in June and I am hoping it comes with wireless carpal ...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    o/t but the nearest related thread.

Anyone know if the iOS 10.3 beta addresses the annoying autoplay bug in CarPlay? Plug your iPhone into a CarPlay receiver and it autoplays music from it. Maybe Apple can put a master autoplay on/off switch on CarPlay.