Leaks show off Samsung's Galaxy S8 & S8+ ahead of March 29 reveal

Posted:
in General Discussion
Photos and videos posted over the weekend allegedly show the final designs of Samsung's latest answers to the Apple iPhone, the Galaxy S8 and S8+, which should be officially revealed at an event in late March.

Both devices appear to use curved, edge-to-edge displays and omit physical home buttons in favor of virtual ones, as seen in a photo posted to Slashleaks, as well as videos on YouTube. 3.5-millimeter headphone jacks remain, despite the technology being jettisoned by some other Android phones and last fall's iPhone 7.

With the Galaxy S6 and S7, curved OLED screens were only available on more expensive Edge models. And while other Android phones have sometimes ditched physical buttons, the S8 marks the first time Samsung has brought the concept to its flagship line.

The leaks echo rumors about this year's upcoming "iPhone 8," which is expected to use a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED panel -- likely made by Samsung -- with a 5.1-inch practical area, the rest being dedicated to virtual buttons. Last week however a report suggested that Apple may be abandoning the idea of a curved screen, owing to yield problems and poor drop-test results.

It's not yet certain how Apple will deal with the removal of the Touch ID sensors used since the iPhone 5s, but rumors have hinted that it will rely on 3D facial recognition, iris scanning, and/or a different form of fingerprint sensing.

Samsung has meanwhile announced a March 29 press event, to be held at the Lincoln Center in New York City, according to TechCrunch. The invitation includes a silhouette matching recent leaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    "Samsung: We're What's Blowing Up!"
    Roger_Fingasandrewj5790jbdragonboltsfan17caliwatto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 48
    These near bezel-less phones just look weird to me, especially the ones that don't have symmetrical top and bottom bezels. If you're using the device in landscape mode where do you put your thumbs?
    andrewj5790tmayjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 48
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Feels like another product being rushed to market to beat Apple. We'll see how this one pans out for Sammy. 
    peterhartandrewj5790calipatchythepiratespice-boymike1pscooter63watto_cobraredgeminipabadmonk
  • Reply 4 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If I need Plus-Plus size phone than I will buy iPad mini tablet with phone connectivity. Normal phone size at largest end is with screen 5.1-5.2" and for Plus size is 5.5-5.6". Any screen size above is Mega phone and in that range mini tablet with phone connectivity is better choice. Very large phone is prone to get drop from your any size hand breaking screen costing lot. If you put heavy duty case/cover than it adds bulkiness and ugliness. Not sure what was reason for Samsung behind making over 6" Galaxy 8 Plus Plus phone.
    edited February 2017 [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    JinTech said:
    Feels like another product being rushed to market to beat Apple. We'll see how this one pans out for Sammy. 
    I agree. It just seems that's all Samsung does: rush something to market based on Apple rumors - but are the Apple leaks to blame? I admit, I enjoy reading this site to see what may be coming because that's how most of us are, but then I'm not 100% surprised when Apple launches its next product with what we already know. :(
    andrewj5790JinTechwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 48
    The renderings are great, but where's the smoke?
    radarthekatcharlesgreschiaiqatedopscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    There is no built-in phone connectivity on the Mini apart from any Continuity/Wi-Fi Calling support, it should be noted. .
    wood1208 said:
    If I need Plus-Plus size phone than I will buy iPad mini tablet with phone connectivity. Normal phone size at largest end is with screen 5.1-5.2" and for Plus size is 5.5-5.6". Any screen size above is Mega phone and in that range mini tablet with phone connectivity is better choice. Very large phone is prone to get drop from your any size hand breaking screen costing lot. If you put heavy duty case/cover than it adds bulkiness and ugliness.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 48
    peterhart said:
    JinTech said:
    I agree. It just seems that's all Samsung does: rush something to market based on Apple rumors - but are the Apple leaks to blame? I admit, I enjoy reading this site to see what may be coming because that's how most of us are, but then I'm not 100% surprised when Apple launches its next product with what we already know. :(

From where did you get the idea that these phones are rushed? Samsung usually releases their flagship phone by late Feb-early Mar timeframe and make them available for purchase in late Mar. This year, they are delayed by a month.
    bdkennedy1002mobius
  • Reply 9 of 48
    "Unbox your phone"  Uh, ok.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 48
    I sure hope Apple does not use this type of "bezel-less" system. With the curved glass it just does not look very appealing.
    andrewj5790larryapscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 48
    JinTech said:
    I predict lots of cracked displays.
    andrewj5790watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 48
    wood1208 said:
    If I need Plus-Plus size phone than I will buy iPad mini tablet with phone connectivity. Normal phone size at largest end is with screen 5.1-5.2" and for Plus size is 5.5-5.6". Any screen size above is Mega phone and in that range mini tablet with phone connectivity is better choice. Very large phone is prone to get drop from your any size hand breaking screen costing lot. If you put heavy duty case/cover than it adds bulkiness and ugliness. Not sure what was reason for Samsung behind making over 6" Galaxy 8 Plus Plus phone.
    There are a many phones that have a larger screen size than the iPhone Plus but the actual overall phone has a smaller footprint than the iPhone Plus. The iPhone Plus has ridiculously large bezels and would love for Apple to reduce them. Therefore, I can have a smaller overall phone but keep the same screen size. Pretty much the only gripe I have about my Plus. 
    watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 48
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I'll observe about these phones what I observed about the original Galaxy Edge.  No matter how you hold it, how you tilt it in the light to attempt to eliminate glare. There will be glare.  And for what advantage, exactly.  What information is better displayed on a curve than on a flat surface?  
    andrewj5790rich gregorySpamSandwichbdkennedy1002brucemctechprod1gypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 48
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    when will these leakers learn how to hold a phone to make videos....aaaaaaaaargh

StrangeDaysanalogjackmobius
  • Reply 15 of 48
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Its very similar in design to LG's recently released G6...18:9 aspect ratio, curved display corners (a nice design touch on both phones). The main difference being Samsung's trademark curved display edges.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 16 of 48
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    meh.  Nice hardware, but missing iOS, and I'm not sure I trust it not blowing up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48
    What amazes me is that anyone cares about what Samsung does. It's always just a rush job, it's always the easiest solution to whatever problem they encounter. In this case the tech media needs something to talk about and Samsung benefits. But I find it amazing that there are any fans who aren't paid by the South Korean Govt. who are actually excited. As for actual innovation or an inspired design or integration of design and interface - never once has happened. It's like the guy who uses duct tape to fix his car and we are supposed to be amazed at how well the duct tape holds the bumper on. 
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Honestly, this is what the iPhone should look like. The giant bezels on the iPhone (especially the Plus models) is pretty silly these days.
    Roger_Fingas
  • Reply 19 of 48
    mbsmd said:
    Honestly, this is what the iPhone should look like. The giant bezels on the iPhone (especially the Plus models) is pretty silly these days.
    "Giant bezels" prevent obscuring the information on screen and larger areas of damage-preventing materials mean fewer broken glass screens.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 48
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mbsmd said:
    I agree that I hope Apple is able to reduce the top/bottom bezels on the next gen iPhone - but only if the technology is ready to make the design even better & more usable.  Getting the same phone size into a smaller physical package (the +) would great.  Similarly, getting a bit bigger "regular" iPhone in the same size package would be even better (closer to a 5" screen within the same physical size as the current 4.7" iPhone).

I don't care for the look of these phones, so if Apple does have curved screens, I hope they look better than this.  My friend has an S7 Edge, and I just think the more "rectangle" corners and curved screen look weird together.  IMO it is not visually appealing.  Doesn't flow for some reason.
    watto_cobra