Nokia rebrands Withings, launches HealthKit competitor 'Patient Care Platform'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Nokia is making a bigger push into the healthcare market, announcing at Mobile World Congress that the health and fitness accessory maker Withings will rebrand its products under the Nokia name, as well as revealing a "Patient Care Platform" that appears to directly compete against Apple's HealthKit.

The rebrand of Withings, which Nokia acquired for $192 million in April last year, will see all of the company's existing and upcoming products renamed as Nokia devices. The change will be taking place early this summer, with the Nokia-branded devices expected to go on sale in major retailers in the United States and Europe at that time.

Withings is known for its connected devices covering a number of areas in relation to healthcare and fitness. Notable items include the Steel HR smartwatch that provides fitness tracking capabilities on a traditional timepiece, the Body Cardio Scale, a blood pressure monitor, and a smart thermometer, with the rebranded products keeping their existing appearance but adding the Nokia logo.

At the same time as the rebrand, the company's Health Mate app will be receiving a redesign. Used to compile together data from connected devices to offer an all-round view of a person's health, the app's refresh will apparently make it easier to add devices, and share progress with family members.

New in-depth coaching programs will be included within the app, which will take users on an "eight-week journey" to reach a health goal, with personalized experiences said to be provided to users to "better manage health and wellbeing."

The "Patient Care Platform" is described as a way to "transform the relationship between patients and healthcare professionals." The platform will allow doctors and care teams to remotely monitor devices worn by their patients, so timely and targeted care can be provided in order to minimize office visits and hospitalizations.

The HealthKit competitor is already in use in the United Kingdom, with the National Health Service using it to conduct a 69,000-person study into hypertension, and the ways to remotely monitor and lower hypertension rates.

The rebranding and the healthcare announcements arrive as Nokia launches new consumer devices at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, with licensee HMD Global. Three Android smartphones were unveiled at the show, with a global version of the Nokia 6 alongside the Nokia 3 and Nokia 5, as well as the revival of the Nokia 3310 feature phone.

Withings has also branched out into home automation, showing off the HomeKit-compatible Home Plus smart security camera at CES in January before a release this quarter, and it appears it will also go under the same rebranding treatment. While there has yet to be a confirmation for the camera's launch, a recent support query on Twitter advises of a delay for the Home Plus launch, but confirms Withings is still "working on it."

Once released, it is unclear if the Home Plus camera will be available to purchase from Apple stores, like other devices supporting HomeKit. Apple pulled all Withings products from its online and physical stores in December, in response to patent dispute between the iPhone producer and Nokia.

Nokia filed suits against Apple in the U.S. and Germany, accusing Apple of violating 32 patents Nokia acquired in recent years. Apple responded by suing nine patent holdings firms and Nokia, claiming the group were working together to "extract and extort exorbitant revenues" from Apple and other device producers.

Nokia fired back by launching another set of lawsuits, claiming infringement of 40 patents across 11 countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I am collecting bets on who is going to win game of patents. Anywone interested?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have a few Withings products in clouding a smart bathroom scale. I am not sure that change to the Nokia brand adds any value; in fact l think it may be a negative move.
    manfred zorncornchipcaliwatto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Overheard during the first marketing meeting for this:
    "What should we call this new patient care platform we are developing?"
    "I know! How about Patient Care Platform!"
    "Brilliant!"
    cornchipwatto_cobraRayz2016ravnorodom
  • Reply 4 of 18
    dachar said:
    I have a few Withings products in clouding a smart bathroom scale. I am not sure that change to the Nokia brand adds any value; in fact l think it may be a negative move.
    Withings strikes me as sounding "old fashioned", but Nokia is too strongly associated with cell phones. They have an up-hill battle educating consumers.
    cornchipcaliwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Hey, Nokia, maybe you should create a software development platform that works well with hardware before expecting people to depend on your products with their lives, maybe?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This is different I think than when people (Blackberry??) were mocking Apple for going into the phone arena.  Apple was an expert in both hardware and software so they actually could pull off doing an iPhone.

Nokia on the other hand, made semi-shit phones with shitty software.  Whatever PC-based software they have ever created to work with their phones was about on-par with Sony, which is pretty bad to say the least.

Nokia is just trying to stay relevant in today's Apple/Android arena, but without a solid and competent software team and the hardware to work seamlessly with it, they are just going to crash and burn.

Think Samsung and that joke they call Tizen.  I mean seriously, it's like they were asking to be mocked.
    magman1979caliwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Not to pile on...but I remember a Nokia phone i had, (pre-iPhone) and having to buy a third party crap software just sync my contacts with my iBook. I don't think I ever got it to work. Ugh!

When the iPhone came out, syncing and adding contacts (and Visual Voicemail) was worth the "price of admission" for the iPhone.

As a realtor constantly getting new clients and other realtor contacts and being able to keep it organized was a godsend. I loved it. Yeah Apple.

Best of luck to Withers/Nokia. :)
    edited February 2017 caliwatto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 8 of 18
    OMG Apple is going to lose a lot of business!!! They will kill apple! Apple cannot compete anymore!! SJ is gone! Apple is doomed!!!! Ahhhh... Oh Wait you said Nokia?  Never mind! :/
  • Reply 9 of 18
    How are these people still in business?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Well, I have a Withings scale and it works OK with my iPhone app etc...
    The actually sell quite a few gadgets nowadays and they may even get some traction with their friends in Europe

However, Nokia should continue to support Apple HealthKit in addition to their own platform.  Otherwise their gadgets will be restricted to niche markets as other HealthKit compliant gadget makers leave them in the dust.

caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Hmmm, so Nokia wants you to believe "PCP" is a good thing now, got it.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Overheard during the first marketing meeting for this:
    "What should we call this new patient care platform we are developing?"
    "I know! How about Patient Care Platform!"
    "Brilliant!"
    "Hmmm. PCP - synonymous with good health. Create the press release!"
  • Reply 13 of 18
    dachar said:

I too have their scale and it works great and their software interface is nice and just works. But this is what companies do when they can not compete they take someone else's product and put their name on it pretty soon no one has any idea who make what. Look at the who home appliance industry. I am not sure what Withings gets out this, other than a world of hurt trying to support Nokia and all their requirements.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Countdown commences to the disappearance of Withings products in the Apple Store. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Countdown commences to the disappearance of Withings products in the Apple Store. 

Well, if they stop supporting HealthKit to push their own platform then I would fully expect Apple to remove their products from the stores. Folk buying stuff from Apple outlets will expect it to work seamlessly with Apple kit.

Lack of HealthKit support is why Fitbit will eventually lose out. I cannot believe they would rather lose sales than support HealthKit.

pscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    I also have Withings gear. They have an established name in Europe which is automatically associated with gadgetry. Support is pretty good for hardware but software problems (especially with strange data anomalies in the cloud) can be harder to solve.

Unless they plan to rebrand via a massive awareness campaign this is a backwards move from a marketing perspective.

Seems counterproductive for both brands.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Why?  There's no beef or current (meaningful) competition between Apple and Nokia, is there?

edited February 2017
  • Reply 18 of 18
    It's common sense that you do not enter into a market where Apple is already entrenched. Unbelievably dumb. I guess next we'll be seeing a Nokia payment system.