New T-Mobile promo offers three unlimited One lines for $100

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
U.S. carrier T-Mobile on Monday announced a promotion designed to attract new subscibers as well as keep existing ones, offering three lines of the company's unlimited One tier for $100.

The promo will be available to both new and existing subscribers beginning March 1, with the discount coming in the form of bill credits, T-Mobile said. Typically three lines cost $140, essentially making it a 3-for-2 deal.

Along the same lines, any customer with two or more voice lines will be able to add an extra line for free, regardless of whether they have One or a Simple Choice subscription.

The promo is due to run for an unspecified amount of time. People who sign up will of course be able to keep their extra line after the event ends.

T-Mobile's deal is just the latest salvo in an escalating battle between the four major U.S. carriers, all of which are trying to outdo each other in the unlimited arena. In practice, all of the recent plans are capped between 22 and 28 gigabytes, since throttling limits their usefulness beyond that point.

Earlier today AT&T announced revised unlimited plans set to take effect on Thursday. Both appear to address cost complaints about a plan introduced earlier this month, though the cheapest is limited to just 3 megabits per second.

Head over to AppleInsider's unlimited plans guide to see how the carriers' options rate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    So 3 lines for $100. That will save me $50/month over AT&T. Looks like it is finally time to jump ship.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    dipdog3 said:
    So 3 lines for $100. That will save me $50/month over AT&T. Looks like it is finally time to jump ship.
    This particular offer is time-limited. If you're going to go, go soon.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    So, $100 and no extra taxes/fees/etc.? Final bill is $100?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    AI_lias said:
    Well it says taxes and fees include in the line price. Normally its extra. 

dipdog3 said:
    Before jumping I'd make sure T-Mobile has good coverage where you need to go. Otherwise, you're wonderful unlimited data will actually be limited because you can't get proper coverage. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bellsbells Posts: 140member

T-Mobile's deal is just the latest salvo in an escalating battle between the four major U.S. carriers, all of which are trying to outdo each other in the unlimited arena. 
    This is why the Obama administration killing the T-Mobile ATT proposed merger was absolutely the right call.

Compeition benefitting the consumer is alive and well in the carrier arena.

it made the wrong call going after Apple over ebook pricing, but oh well.
    dasanman69dementuschikan
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Anyone looking to switch to T-Mobile — there's a promo called Insider Hookup that'll get you 20% off for life — you just need a code from a T-Mobile employee, so ask around! I was on the fence between Verizon's 80/mo unlimited plan versus T-mobile's 70/mo plan until someone sen me a code which knocked it down to $56/mo for life (obviously this is the single line price). Additionally, after you switch you can also get a $150 prepaid debit card by going to t-mobile.com/promotions and enter "17SWITCHER".

I never thought I'd abandon my grandfathered unlimited plan for something way better AND so much cheaper! Plus now with 10GB of LTE tethering...
    daye
  • Reply 7 of 15

AI_lias said:
    Yes. I confirmed with both Verizon and T-Mobile when I was checking them both out, their unlimited plan prices include all fees and taxes. AT&T does NOT do this with their pricing.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    dipdog3 said:
    I understand T-mobile is the only one of the "big three" that doesn't require you to pay your bill with direct withdrawal from your checking or savings account. They will take automatic payment using a credit card. That's both safer and more convenient. 
  • Reply 9 of 15

AI_lias said:
    Yes. I confirmed with both Verizon and T-Mobile when I was checking them both out, their unlimited plan prices include all fees and taxes. AT&T does NOT do this with their pricing.
    T-mobile is being exceptionally aggressive in growing their subscriber base.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    dipdog3 said:
    I understand T-mobile is the only one of the "big three" that doesn't require you to pay your bill with direct withdrawal from your checking or savings account. They will take automatic payment using a credit card. That's both safer and more convenient. 
    Yes, I set up autopay on my biz credit card. Verizon was going to require auto-debit from a checking account which is a pain.

AI_lias said:
    T-mobile is being exceptionally aggressive in growing their subscriber base.
    Worked on me. :)
    edited February 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I chatted with a T-Mobile rep on their site yesterday asking about this deal.  I have 3 lines with T-Mobile and am considering dropping my grandfathered AT&T line to make it 4 with T-Mobile.  So I asked if this March 1st deal would allow me to add a 4th line for free.  She had to "check because I think only the third line is free" and came back and said, no the fourth line wouldn't be free, but the third line would.  To clarify she specifically pointed out that I would pay for lines 1, 2 and 4, but not 3.  So I _think_ that means I can get 4 unlimited lines for $120 (includes taxes and fees).  Bye bye AT&T.
    edited February 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I chatted with a T-Mobile rep on their site yesterday asking about this deal.  I have 3 lines with T-Mobile and am considering dropping my grandfathered AT&T line to make it 4 with T-Mobile.  So I asked if this March 1st deal would allow me to add a 4th line for free.  She had to "check because I think only the third line is free" and came back and said, no the fourth line wouldn't be free, but the third line would.  To clarify she specifically pointed out that I would pay for lines 1, 2 and 4, but not 3.  So I _think_ that means I can get 4 unlimited lines for $120 (includes taxes and fees).  Bye bye AT&T.
    AT&T is going to have to do a LOT better to retain people under this withering assault on their offerings. Smartest thing T-mo did was say the price we tell you is actually what you'll pay, no extra fees.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 13 of 15
    And, don't forget you can sign up for their Kickback plan, so if you happen to use less than 2GB bandwidth in a month, you get $10 off your rate. So, that makes this plan only $90 (it still includes taxes and fees). It's very easy to use under 2GB a month since many services are linked to the Binge On service, so a lot of streaming doesn't come out of your data allotment. I hit 2.1GB this past month for the first time in about a year or more! (And, yes, you can turn off the Binge On thing if you really need HD video and want to pay for all the music you're streaming ;) ).

The only minus to T-Mobile is spotty coverage out in the boondocks here in Oklahoma, but you have to be pretty far off the main highways (in my experience). I plan to fix it soon by moving to civilization, though ;) .
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ChopChop Posts: 1member
    Anyone looking to switch to T-Mobile — there's a promo called Insider Hookup that'll get you 20% off for life — you just need a code from a T-Mobile employee, so ask around! I was on the fence between Verizon's 80/mo unlimited plan versus T-mobile's 70/mo plan until someone sen me a code which knocked it down to $56/mo for life (obviously this is the single line price). Additionally, after you switch you can also get a $150 prepaid debit card by going to t-mobile.com/promotions and enter "17SWITCHER".

I never thought I'd abandon my grandfathered unlimited plan for something way better AND so much cheaper! Plus now with 10GB of LTE tethering...
    One thing: the Insider Hookup isn't a "promo" - that's an internal employee incentive for us to offer a lifetime discount to family, friends, or whomever we choose (5 total accounts).  I only correct this because that idea has been floated around here and elsewhere online, and we've been getting customers coming in "expecting" 20% for life.  That's not how that works.