Apple issues fourth beta of tvOS 10.2 for developers with accelerated scrolling, VideoTool...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Tuesday released a fourth developer beta of tvOS 10.2, an update for the fourth-generation Apple TV that should mostly add minor feature enhancements.

To install the new code, developers must connect an Apple TV to a computer via a USB cable, and download and install the beta using iTunes or Apple Configurator. People must, of course, have an official developer account.

While it's unclear what's changed in the latest beta, 10.2 as a whole is due to add things like accelerated scrolling, support for the Device Enrollment Program, and wider mobile device management (MDM) options, according to Apple notes.

It will also implement support for the VideoToolbox framework, which lets people tap directly into hardware-accelerated encoding and decoding functions. The framework is already present in iOS and macOS.

The previous 10.2 beta was released a little over a week ago on Feb. 20.

The last major update of tvOS came with December's 10.1 release, which introduced single sign-on support for TV providers and a dedicated "TV" app. The latter centralizes content from iTunes and some third-party apps, making it easier to keep up with shows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Wonder if Siri will be able to search our iTunes library for music and movies yet? 
    elijahgcali
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I wish Google would update their YouTube app. It doesn't refresh subscriptions unless you navigate back and forth between other sections.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I downloaded a bunch of apps on my Apple TV 4 today and for each app I had to re-enter my iTunes password. What a pain! And spelling the password into Siri was incorrectly interpreted half the time so that was no easy solution. What am I doing wrong?
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jd_in_sb said:
    I downloaded a bunch of apps on my Apple TV 4 today and for each app I had to re-enter my iTunes password. What a pain! And spelling the password into Siri was incorrectly interpreted half the time so that was no easy solution. What am I doing wrong?
    If you have an iPhone, you can enter your password using the Apple TV Remote App.
    You can also change your password settings by going to Settings ➔ Accounts ➔ iTunes and App Store ➔ Password Settings
    You can set Purchases and In-App Purchases to After 15 Minutes to only be prompted for the password once every 15 minutes. Never is also an option.
    You can also set Free Downloads to No if you don't want to be prompted for a password when downloading apps that are free.
    Note:  You will most likely be asked for your iTunes Password at some point during this process. I'm not sure if this changes your password settings universally.

cali
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tomeone said:
    I wish Google would update their YouTube app. It doesn't refresh subscriptions unless you navigate back and forth between other sections.
    Yeah, the YouTube app on Apple TV could be a lot better in several ways. I prefer the YouTube app I used to use on my PS3, but that's less practical for me now that I use Apple TV for everything else. On the PS3 app, it was much easier to see when something was posted and who posted it. Now it's hard for me to tell which episodes of a show are the latest ones to be released, and which versions are the official releases versus something somebody recorded off of their TV at low quality and then uploaded.

I do like the way rewinding and fast forwarding work, though. I wish FilmStruck would adopt something similar.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    jd_in_sb said:
    If you have an iPhone, you can enter your password using the Apple TV Remote App.
    You can also change your password settings by going to Settings ➔ Accounts ➔ iTunes and App Store ➔ Password Settings
    You can set Purchases and In-App Purchases to After 15 Minutes to only be prompted for the password once every 15 minutes. Never is also an option.
    You can also set Free Downloads to No if you don't want to be prompted for a password when downloading apps that are free.
    Note:  You will most likely be asked for your iTunes Password at some point during this process. I'm not sure if this changes your password settings universally.

Thanks a bunch for the tip!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Now if only developers would stop making their content wells so small -- I have to squint to read the text, which is usually surrounded by huge swaths of empty space. Whuuh? Blow it up, guys, use the screen estate!