Revised LG UltraFine 5K display with enhanced RF shielding ships from Apple online store o...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
The LG UltraFine 5K display is beginning its slow march back to availability, with shipments of the improved model leaving Apple warehouses on March 7 -- but some users with the monitor now are still hitting roadblocks in trying to get the situation rectified.

As recently as Tuesday morning, Apple's page for the UltraFine 5K display said 2-3 weeks for shipment. While both the Mar. 15 and Mar 16 dates given on the outside of delivery windows fall in that range, it is an update with a more specific date for availability than when they were removed from sale on Feb. 13.

The sporadic RF interference problems were first tied to wi-fi networking gear, with some monitors exhibiting connectivity issues with the equipment in close proximity. However, extended AppleInsider testing pointed to about 1 in 4 monitors impacted by the issue, with other powerful radio transmitters also capable interfering with the monitory by "blocking" the frequencies that a wi-fi router uses.

Identifying a monitor afflicted with the problem can be problematic -- AppleInsider's review unit didn't suffer from any connectivity issues when tested in a Washington D.C. suburb in close proximity to wi-fi gear. However, after transferring the monitor to a more thickly settled area in New York City, the problems cropped up even without wi-fi gear nearby.

After obtaining an improved shielding plate from an early run of the improved monitors, known flawed displays retrofitted with the shielding exhibited no problems.

LG's customer support still generally poorly informed about the situation

Users with problematic units are advised to contact LG customer support for assistance. Calls made to LG today by AppleInsider still demonstrate confusion, with us having to wait on hold for nearly 45 minutes before being connected to a fifth person who finally knew what to do about the situation, and even then, we were placed on hold repeatedly to verify some procedural steps.

Even after the extended period of time on the phone, the path forward for a shielding retrofit or monitor replacement isn't clear. AppleInsider will update when we hear back from LG.

AppleInsider has spoken to sources within Apple's retail chain, who all have no idea when the displays will return to store stock. Unaffected displays remain exhibited at demo stations.

The 5120-by-2880 DCI-P3 UltraFine 5K is currently discounted through the end of March to $974 from $1299, and was built specifically to connect to one of the 2016 MacBook Pro's Thunderbolt 3 ports. It also includes features like a trio of USB 3.1 type C ports, a webcam, and stereo speakers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Queue the whining and complaining about Apple not making their own displays....
  • Reply 2 of 24
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    This LG display is ugly as s***.  Apple should be embarrassed shipping it.  It is aweful
    coolfactortedp88
  • Reply 3 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I usually support Apple's decision-making process in many areas.  However, this is one major embarrassment I think for Apple, the other being the rumored discontinuation of their Airport routers.

I still have my "old" Thunderbolt LED display and will most likely continue to keep it.  Apple did a huge, HUGE disservice to the MacBook community by discontinuing their monitor line.  To even think that a 3rd-party vendor can come close to the experience given by an Apple-branded product is an insult to the user community.

LG has shows that it not only cannot compete on that level with Apple on a finished product, but they can't even provide decent customer service as well.  Typical of non-Apple companies.

Embarrassment all around.  Sure, the monitor market must not make Apple much in revenue, but like anything else it does add to the Apple experience and Tim Cook failed on this one in a spectacular fashion. 
    wonkothesanedysamoriapulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 24
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    Maybe Apple can just bring back target display mode to the iMac. 
  • Reply 5 of 24
    macxpress said:
    Queue the whining and complaining about Apple not making their own displays....
    Why, oh, why can't they make their own display!?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    My problems were related to a bad cable (something that many other people reported too). Ever since LG shipped me a new Thunderbolt 3 cable, everything has worked flawlessly. Their support was friendly. They didn't hassle me and they understood the problem. They also quickly shipped the cable to me, which I greatly appreciated. All in all, I'm satisfied and chalk this up to being an early adopter. Apple along with every other company has had their fair share of first versions that have had issues. In fact, Nest is a great example of that. Almost all of their first edition smoke detectors have failed on me, but they replaced them all. If you're an early adopter, you should expect some bumps. In the end, the thing that matters most to me is how well the company rectifies the situation.
    dtb200coolfactorai46
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    henshaw said:
    My problems were related to a bad cable (something that many other people reported too). Ever since LG shipped me a new Thunderbolt 3 cable, everything has worked flawlessly. Their support was friendly. They didn't hassle me and they understood the problem. They also quickly shipped the cable to me, which I greatly appreciated. All in all, I'm satisfied and chalk this up to being an early adopter. Apple along with every other company has had their fair share of first versions that have had issues. In fact, Nest is a great example of that. Almost all of their first edition smoke detectors have failed on me, but they replaced them all. If you're an early adopter, you should expect some bumps. In the end, the thing that matters most to me is how well the company rectifies the situation.
    We can confirm that bad cabling is rectified quickly. 

However, the shell-game that LG support appears to be in the middle of regarding retrofitting shielding is puzzling, and not good for anybody.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I'm glad Apple didn't abandon their pro customers by abandoning pro products
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I did not expect to see my monitor for a couple of weeks, but Apple notified me last week that it is arriving today. I didn't have one before and therefore have no experience with the RF problem to compare with, but I'll see how it performs in my WiFi-rich environment.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    One reason I bought a 27' Mac was the design, this monitor looks really ugly 
    tedp88
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I skipped both the 2016 MBP and this wanna be Thunderbolt.  Perhaps this Fall the product line will look more "Pro" and have all the embarassing wrinkles worked out in general.
    tedp88
  • Reply 12 of 24
    pkissel said:
    I skipped both the 2016 MBP and this wanna be Thunderbolt.  Perhaps this Fall the product line will look more "Pro" and have all the embarassing wrinkles worked out in general.
    TB3 as a technology is here to stay. Whether LG is as a monitor supplier in the long run remains to be seen. 

Out of curiosity, what do you need for "Pro?"
    pulseimages
  • Reply 13 of 24
    cityguide said:
    I did not expect to see my monitor for a couple of weeks, but Apple notified me last week that it is arriving today. I didn't have one before and therefore have no experience with the RF problem to compare with, but I'll see how it performs in my WiFi-rich environment.
    Our testers aren't expecting theirs until the 10th. Let us know what you find out.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should make a brand new Thunderbolt display 24-inch.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 15 of 24
    appex said:
    Apple should make a brand new Thunderbolt display 24-inch.
    If you keep saying this on every topic about displays maybe they will....

/s
    pulseimages
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I requested a replacement Thunderbolt 3 cable from LG on January 20th. Since then I've sent emails and made phone calls to remind them of my request. They assured me they placed my order. It is February 28 and I still don't have a replacement cable. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 17 of 24
    best to login to lg.com and register your monitor (the SN is behind the stand plate on the back of the monitor), then from your account page, click "chat", and tell them you have the shielding issue. they'll send you a shipping label to return it.  if you do not still have the original packaging, be SURE to tell them you need a box and packaging at that time, otherwise you ONLY get a shipping label.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Are LG Monitors in general just hit or miss on quality?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Are LG Monitors in general just hit or miss on quality?
    Good question. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Mine are causing spinning beach balls. Unplug their arse and the MBP'16 magically resumes running (one would expect 'em to instead go deeper into a beach ball coma or crash but they resume just fine).  Nothing connected to the ports on the monitor and minimal RF. I should box 'em up and drag 'em into an AppleStore and ask for the post-Feb models. More likely to involve the credit card companies which can see enough in the Press to know they have us in debt (albeit at i%=0) for garbage.
    pulseimages