YouTube TV to offer live TV from four major networks this spring for $35 per month

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google on Tuesday announced YouTube TV, a live TV service launching this spring that will compete with other internet-only providers like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue.

The base package will cost $35 per month and offer channels from ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, among them affiliated ones like Bravo, Syfy, and ESPN, Recode reported. In all the package is expected to include about three dozen options.

People won't, however, have access to channels from companies that only operate on pay TV, some examples being AMC and Time Warner. Those companies could be included at later date, according to Recode, but Time Warner executives told the site that it won't be offering the likes of HBO until YouTube signs a deal for its Turner networks.

While initial content may be limited, Google says it will be offering cloud DVR functions with unlimited space, something so far reserved for PlayStation Vue. It will also include a recommendation system based on Google AI, and the company is promising "reliability and scalability," likely a jab at services like AT&T's DirecTV Now, which launched with serious glitches.

YouTube TV will be separate from YouTube Red and get its own app. Indeed Google is aiming for a "mobile first" strategy, though people will also be able to watch on computers and TVs, for instance using Google's Cast technology.

A live TV service From YouTube has been rumored for some time. It will likely go head-to-head this season with a Hulu alternative, which has been promised but not officially announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Can't believe Apple is lagging on this.
    noicc1138SpamSandwichrogifan_newtedp88
  • Reply 2 of 48
    markiezyy said:
    Have you tried any of these services? I've used the trial period for pretty much every cord-cutting service out there, and I can tell you that they're all subpar. Apple is, as usual, smart not to get involved yet.
    edited February 2017 wonkothesanelkruppSpamSandwichbrucemclolliver
  • Reply 3 of 48
    sog35 said:
    Will this work on AppleTV?

I like Playstation Vue but the DVR is pretty awful. If I can get a reliable DVR plus ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN, TNT for $35 I would switch

Again why is Apple so friken slow? 

We should have Apple Live TV by now. 
    All this stuff sounds great on paper but is always disappointing in practice. I've used them all. Have you tried DirectTV Now? Garbage. Apple is smart not to get involved while these types of services are in their nascency.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 4 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Lol, few more networks and you guys will have cable all over again. Netflix is the future. People don't want channels, they want shows and films without the bullshit. Apple can give us Shark Tank 2.0. Meanwhile I'll stick with Netflix and €10 a month. Most US TV is utter junk anyway.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 5 of 48
    so why am i supposed to pay $35 a month for OTA channels i get for free?

Plex has a DVR, Channels has a DVR...both are far cheaper than $35 a month, and get me all the 40 odd OTA channels & sub-channels within my broadcast area...
    linkmanzroger73GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 48
    ireland said:
    Lol, few more networks and you guys will have cable all over again. Netflix is the future. People don't want channels, they want shows and films without the bullshit. Apple can give us Shark Tank 2.0. Meanwhile I'll stick with Netflix and €10 a month. Most US TV is utter junk anyway.
    I use Netflix, but most of the stuff on there is pretty old. The offerings on Netflix drops monthly. They used to have so much stuff, but not anymore. Only thing its good for is if you like the Netflix Original content. There is still some good stuff on TV here. For example, the show Black Sails is pretty amazing. Good stuff on National Geographic channel and the Discovery Channel. I don't watch any network shows except for Hawaii Five O. 
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 7 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    There are companies that aggregate all the channels into one easy-to-use service that can be controlled from one device. It's called a cable company. Some may balk at the costs or the company themselves, but for those people who want a lot of choices for programming, it's still the best solution. Has anybody actually replicated the service from their cable company with all these separate services AND saved money???
    Fatmanboltsfan17
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Ironic, remember when the major networks were 'free'(I know, nothing is really free - it is an advertising driven model). Now we are supposed to be excited about getting four commercial laden networks for $35! I'm buying rabbit ears... 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 48
    sog35 said:

I like Playstation Vue but the DVR is pretty awful. If I can get a reliable DVR plus ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN, TNT for $35 I would switch

it does not matter who gives you the content, its all the same, what price you pay for it and who's willing to pay is the situation. abc cbs nbc and those other 
    stations are the same on Directv Now, Playstation Vue and any other OTT, as a consiumer we are just concerned with how much we are will to pay....
  • Reply 10 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ireland said:
    I use Netflix, but most of the stuff on there is pretty old. The offerings on Netflix drops monthly. They used to have so much stuff, but not anymore. Only thing its good for is if you like the Netflix Original content. There is still some good stuff on TV here. For example, the show Black Sails is pretty amazing. Good stuff on National Geographic channel and the Discovery Channel. I don't watch any network shows except for Hawaii Five O. 
    Fair enough but all those channels continually get worse and worse. History and Discovery and SyFy are prime examples. Netflix and YouTube suit me fine.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Oh look, another "bundle" of channels. This is no different than what the cable companies offer.
    lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 48
    This is good news. Competition benefits all consumers. That said, I don't see $35/mo of value to me. YMMV.

An AppleTV 5 with a coax jack and a couple of OTA tuners would be something I'd buy.

• Reply 13 of 48
    ireland said:
    Netflix is pretty good. Amazon Prime video is pretty good. What they can't do provide is live streaming TV, which some people want.
  • Reply 14 of 48

eightzero said:
    This is good news. Competition benefits all consumers. That said, I don't see $35/mo of value to me. YMMV.

An AppleTV 5 with a coax jack and a couple of OTA tuners would be something I'd buy.

No evidence Apple would provide or is interested in providing live streaming network television. They really should get interested in it. AppleTV remains an entertainment silo without access to live streaming.
  • Reply 15 of 48

eightzero said:

No evidence Apple would provide or is interested in providing live streaming network television. They really should get interested in it. AppleTV remains an entertainment silo without access to live streaming.
    it already exists via the app store.
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 48
    sog35 said:

Two words: Eddy Cue.
    kamiltonireland
  • Reply 17 of 48

Oh look, another "bundle" of channels. This is no different than what the cable companies offer.
    Anyone who thinks bundles are going away is just fooling themselves. And by the time you add up all the subscriptions for the different services you have - Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, ESPN, etc. you're close to cable pricing.
    kamilton
  • Reply 18 of 48
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    PlayStation Vue for me. Netflix on my Apple TV. Yeah. I am surprised Apple is lagging on this, but others have quickly filled the void. PlayStation Vue even works on the latest Apple TV, but since I have an older ATV I watch it on my daughter's PS4...
  • Reply 19 of 48
    markiezyy said:
    I can. This is dumb. $35 for network TV? This is the deal you think will change media consumption? $35 a MONTH for network TV? I don't get it. Why is buying ad support tv for $35 a month a great deal? What am I missing?

EDIT: Ok. I see now it's the big 4 networks plus a bunch of other 'networks'. Still not sure delivering through YouTube is the answer. And why Apple isn't doing this - behave I bet youtube is losing money on the deal. But they want to be there. Apple has never sacrificed profit for just being there with a product or service I don't think. Have they?
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 20 of 48
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    It looks like a nice start but it is missing a lot...
    CNN, TBS, and TNT. AMC Networks, Discovery Communications, Time Warner and A+E Networks, HBO  are all missing.

I will stick with my DirecTV Now thank you.
    I wish AT&T would license the rights for DirecTV Now to Apple for the Apple TV so that they can integrate it properly.

Time will tell.