New Galaxy S8 leak shows high-quality render of Samsung's iPhone competitor

Posted:
in General Discussion
The latest leak of the Samsung Galaxy S8 offers what may be the clearest view yet of the phone, which will apparently beat Apple's "iPhone 8" to the punch in combining a curved edge-to-edge OLED display with no physical home button.

The image, seemingly an official product render, was shared by well-known leak source Evan Blass. Front-facing cameras and sensors are pushed to the very top of the phone, though there are still physical buttons on the sides for volume and sleep/wake functions.

The render is consistent with leaks of alleged real-world hardware, down to the presence of a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. Apple and some other smartphone makers have been removing such jacks in favor of Bluetooth as well as data port audio connections, namely Lightning and USB-C.

Samsung is due to announce the S8 at a March 29 event in New York City -- that date can be seen in the Blass image.

The phone is rumored to use a 5.8-inch AMOLED screen, and should be joined by an even bigger S8+ model with a 6.2-inch, Quad HD+ (3200-by-1800 pixel) display. The iPhone 7 Plus, in contrast, uses a 5.5-inch 1080p panel.

Other S8/S8+ technologies may include USB-C, iris scanning, 4 gigabytes of RAM, and 64 gigabytes of internal storage, as well as a 12-megapixel rear camera paired with an 8-megapixel unit on the front.

The "iPhone 8" due later this year is expected to share some of these qualities, like wireless charging, the 64-gigabyte baseline, and possibly the iris scanner. Even its display should measure 5.8 inches, with 0.7 of that being dedicated to virtual buttons.

One recent report claimed that the "iPhone 8" will
switch from Lightning to USB-C, despite a growing number of Lightning-equipped accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Looks like they're trying to make this a reality... http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/20120913-iphone-01.jpg
    boredumb
  • Reply 2 of 27
    GrimzahnGrimzahn Posts: 64member
    Intentional "leaks" to keep the fans of the brand thrilled. zzzZZZ
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    igorsky said:
    Looks like they're trying to make this a reality... http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/20120913-iphone-01.jpg
    It's the next Apple TV remote....
    1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    With Note 7 fiasco, Samsung had to add kitchen-sink into Galaxy 8. Hope this doesn't explode.Samsung deliberately trying to keep potential customers of buying new LG,Sony and other phones wait till April.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    damn, pretty much looks like what the iPhone 8 is likely to look like...how is apple going to keep its hardware bleeding edge when their suppliers are making phones and will always have first access to the latest hardware (screens/batteries/modems/etc.).
    Roger_Fingascalidoozydozenbrian green
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    As everybody evolves toward a phone where the front is all screen, the ID of the front becomes meaningless. Things like material selection and fit & finish will become the determining factor. Would be nice to see some side and back views too.
    randominternetpersonchiadoozydozen1983watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Those bottom corners look awful. I'm assuming this is just a crappy render? If not, LMAO Samsung.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    schlack said:
    damn, pretty much looks like what the iPhone 8 is likely to look like...how is apple going to keep its hardware bleeding edge when their suppliers are making phones and will always have first access to the latest hardware (screens/batteries/modems/etc.).
    Actually, Apple has first access to many key technologies, the most important being their cutting-edge SOC designs which nobody else ever gets access to (they can only try and copy). The A# SOCs are the most visible example, but Apple owns a great deal of the IP in the iPhone and Macs. Another example is the W1. One little sample is laptop trackpads -- it is not just some random quirk that Apple has consistently had the best trackpads year after year. Apple has original IP on that and they don't share. 

The screen is one big exception to that, and it's certainly a visible exception. That's the area where Samsung can consistently stay ahead of Apple. 

Apple certainly has the money to make a big investment in screen tech and manufacturing capacity, but I can understand why they don't -- the costs and benefits just don't make sense. Apple was the first to go super high DPI (aka, retina) in phones, but since then, Apple has apparently concluded that the returns to screen innovations just isn't that great. Apple seems content to lag Sammy on screens while leading on just about everything else. I think that's probably the right call. 

radarthekatdoozydozenlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    hexclock said:
    igorsky said:
    It's the next Apple TV remote....
    I do recall Samsung having a TV remote that looked exactly like an iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Why is editing removed from these forums?

2) This would be my edit, Hexclock.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/05/30/samsung-apple-lawsuit/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Those bottom corners look awful. I'm assuming this is just a crappy render? If not, LMAO Samsung.
    Two different radii on the same corner phew.

Also looks like the first time there is no SAMSUNG written all over the front.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    blastdoor said:
    schlack said:
    Actually, Apple has first access to many key technologies, the most important being their cutting-edge SOC designs which nobody else ever gets access to (they can only try and copy). The A# SOCs are the most visible example, but Apple owns a great deal of the IP in the iPhone and Macs. Another example is the W1. One little sample is laptop trackpads -- it is not just some random quirk that Apple has consistently had the best trackpads year after year. Apple has original IP on that and they don't share. 

The screen is one big exception to that, and it's certainly a visible exception. That's the area where Samsung can consistently stay ahead of Apple. 

Apple certainly has the money to make a big investment in screen tech and manufacturing capacity, but I can understand why they don't -- the costs and benefits just don't make sense. Apple was the first to go super high DPI (aka, retina) in phones, but since then, Apple has apparently concluded that the returns to screen innovations just isn't that great. Apple seems content to lag Sammy on screens while leading on just about everything else. I think that's probably the right call. 

I don't think there has been enough capacity to handle an iPhone rollout on the cutting edge screens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    schlack said:
    Well, this has been the case from the beginning in a way - Apple has always had Samsung as a supplier - and Apple has continued to build its iPhone sales.  Samsung Mobile does have access to products made in other divisions, but at the end of the day, each division has its own P&L to look after.  Apple is one of Samsung's largest customers, and they don't want to lose that either. 

Think about this though - while Samsung has been providing OLED screens on their high end phones for years, when it came time that Apple wanted to take this route, it turns out that global supply was not enough.  Samsung and others were not producing nearly enough last year for what Apple required (hence the investments noted to increase supply in 2017).  So is Samsung Mobile driving the investments in Samsung display, or is it Apple?

Apple doesn't rely on any one piece to make their differentiated product.  
    Solipatchythepirateradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Hey at least this rendering doesn't say "Touch any key to unlock" like that next-gen iPhone image that AI always shows.
    Solidoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 27
    So they both have nice screens, not sure why this is a big deal.  

• Reply 16 of 27
    CelTanCelTan Posts: 46member
    smiffy31 said:
    Two different radii on the same corner phew.

I think it is part crappy render and part bad design, with the radii bend over the edge, the impression is that they are not properly round. I bet if you would flatten the screen, they would be properly rounded. 
    Question is why do you need rounded edges on the actual display there - it just takes away screen real estate.
    radarthekatdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    When people talk about phone design, I usually feel that most phones today look largely alike (largely stolen from Apple's designs), but in this particular case (and I can't put my finger upon why), that phone is UGLY (IMO).  I'd actually be surprised if that's what the final Samsung phone looks like.  
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Next year: "The new Samsung S9+ has a 6.7" display running at a whopping 2160x3840 true 4K resolution. Amazing!"

No, no it's not because it makes no damn sense. Your freaking eyes can only see and focus so much information at once so all those extra pixels are worthless and only slow down the phone for no perceivable benefit.  I'm so sick of morons vying for attention over specs to declare a phone superior.
    jdunysdoozydozenlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    wood1208 said:
    With Note 7 fiasco, Samsung had to add kitchen-sink into Galaxy 8. Hope this doesn't explode.Samsung deliberately trying to keep potential customers of buying new LG,Sony and other phones wait till April.
    Hopefully they didn't pack it "full of innovation". 

I wonder if the false Apple rumors are to push people to Sammy's phone. I wouldn't put it past Sammy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Soli said:
    1) Why is editing removed from these forums?

2) This would be my edit, Hexclock.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/05/30/samsung-apple-lawsuit/
    Thanks for that link, I've never seen that before. Man, six years went by in a flash!
    Soli