Cook pledges support to pro users, talks Trump at Apple's annual shareholder meeting in Cu...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 132
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    appex said:
    I cannot edit my post, so... Get the facts: Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'You Will See Us Do More in the Pro Area' https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/28/apple-ceo-tim-cook-pro-creative-area-important
    1) I believe they removed the edit feature yesterday. As to why, I can't think of a single reason why that's a benefit. I think the 4 hour edit window is a good idea.

2) Tim Cook's most poignant quote is "You will see us do more in the pro area. The pro area is very important to us. The creative area is very important to us in particular." Some claiming he's lying, but we'll see soon enough. I hope that when the next Mac desktops are updated—hopefully as early as this month—that we'll also see wireless keyboards that include the Touch Bar with Apple Pay and Touch ID. That means including the T1 chip and the keyboard running a version of OS X that is idealized from watchOS.

While all that is very complex, I'd say it's much simpler to do in a notebook than in a wireless keyboard. Can they even use Bluetooth for this setup when there's a display that needs to pair up with any app in use or is WiFi now required? How does this affect security (which I think is doable since you can use your Watch or iPhone with Apple Pay on Macs running Sierra? Would this hold up new Mac desktop event/release dates? Would they just not include the Touch Bar but still use the T1 chip for Touch ID and Apple Pay? How much power would this require, which would translate into a thicker, heaver, and more expensive keyboard, as well the additional cost for a keyboard with a Touch Bar and its other features?

StrangeDays
  • Reply 82 of 132
    altivec88altivec88 Posts: 135member
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    Personally, I don't care if the Mac Pro is ever updated, but I lean toward updating it or getting rid of it altogether just to shut people up. Clearly the sales aren't high enough to warrant annual updates, so the people bitching about that on here are either in a very small group of Mac Pro buyers are bitching about a product they've never owned.

I've never once had a product from Apple that had exactly what I wanted, but I weigh the pros and cons and then make a decision based on what will benefit me the most. Apple owes you nothing and you owe them nothing. Buy what suits your needs and leave it at that. If that means not choosing an Apple product then that's how you let Apple know they're not getting your business. It's that fucking simple.
    So let me get this straight.  You don't own or need a MacPro.  You don't care if the Mac Pro ever gets updated but at the same time, those that do need and require them are not allowed to voice their displeasure with out the Soli Internet police coming out and saying "I don't need it updated so therefor it doesn't need updating".  Look sir,  I don't really care about you myopic view of life.   This topic is about Pro's.  If you "don't care" or want to hear pro's bitch about the state of the Mac, I suggest you stay away from those articles and more importantly don't post on a topic you clearly know nothing about and from your own words don't even care about.

Apple is free to do what ever they want.  If they want to kill the MacPro, then that is their prerogative.  Tim should just say we are going in a different direction and we are not getting enough sales in the pro market to justify our involvement.  End of storey.  Instead, we get continuous pathetic words that say "Desktops are very important to us, they're in our road map" and "Pro's are very important to us" followed by actions that are polar opposite (leading us to 4 year update cycles. products well behind competitors in every way).  I call those lies, you can call them what ever you want.  Then you state that one of those new MacBook Pro's should solve all the pro's problem.  LOL.   Don't get me wrong, the MacBook Pro is an excellent machine but a lot of Pro's need power much greater than what can be had from a Mobile GPU and a few cores of mobile CPU.   Even the current MacPro is a great machine if the year was 2013 and the world sat still.  As I mentioned, both Dell and HP have updated their desktop workstations twice in that time and currently offer 44core systems, with 2017 graphic cards, the latest ram specs, etc. so that is what I have to compare it to.  For the same price as a 12 core mac with ancient graphics, I can get a 36 core Dell with high end Dual Nvidia Quadro's and DDR4 that will make the MacPro look like its 2013 all over again.

To be clear this whole discussion is not whether Apple should or should not update the MacPro.  Its about Tim spewing his words around as if they mean anything to the pro community.  His words don't make me any money,  a new MacPro will.  So put out or shut up.
    Regardless of your Mac Pro needs—which is questionable based on your comments—you've repeatedly claimed that Tim Cook has no interest in any professional user whereby you called him a liar for saying there are road maps and products in the pipeline because you don't consider anything else a professional-grade product. That makes your entire argument bull-fucking-shit.
    So now you want to change it to "my needs are questionable".  Get a clue on how to communicate punk, as you either have trouble comprehending or you are just a simple troll out to get a rise from people by spewing out stupidity.   Where did I say I didn't consider anything else a Pro product?  I've stated the contrary several times.   You keep bringing up other products to justify they are serious about the pro market.  If Apple started selling a "Pro" paperclip and thats all they ever updated in the pro line,  your conclusion would be, they have the best paperclip so therefor they are serious about pros.  Just replace your mac with the Apple paperclip.

I did not say every Pro requires the power of the MacPro or that you can't do Pro work on other products.  I am sure some are doing pro work on an iPhone.  As most intelligent people are able to comprehend, we are not talking about specific cases, we are talking about the Pro industry as a whole.  Most larger companies have a combination of products.  We have MacBook Pros, we have iPad Pros, we have iPhones etc....  But our heavy lifting comes from the MacPros.  Those are the centre of the universe to us when it comes to the grunt work.  If our heavy lifting machines are the weak link is this product line up and 4 year update cycle equals "Pro's are very important to us" I am going to call a spade a spade and state Tim's words are blatant lies.

If you think lopping off the MacPro's is a good idea, you just made a niche market even smaller which translates to developers no longer making pro software for the mac, which translates to even lower mac sales because now even the MacBook Pro is not a viable product because pro software is no longer available.  As I mentioned, they are way better off saying we are no longer catering to pros instead of tarnishing their name and frustrating a lot of people.

Unlike you, who doesn't care about the MacPro,  My life revolves around them so having a punk troll telling me that I am not justified saying Apple is full of crap when they say "pros are very important to us" does actually piss me off.   So as a troll, you did your job.   Congratulations.
  • Reply 83 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    appex said:
    I cannot edit my post, so... Get the facts: Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'You Will See Us Do More in the Pro Area' https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/28/apple-ceo-tim-cook-pro-creative-area-important
    Some very angry comments at the end of that article.
  • Reply 84 of 132
    altivec88 said:
    So now you want to change it to "my needs are questionable".
    Your actual needs are your needs, but I question the authenticity of your stated needs based on your statements that Tim Cook is a baldfaced liar for stating that there is a road map and products in the pipeline. If you really believe that Apple has neither a roadmap nor a pipeline then you're either delusional or full of shit.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 85 of 132
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    There's only one verifiable liar here.
  • Reply 86 of 132
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I'm a huge Mac guy.  We have two MacBooks, two iPhones and an iPad in my household.  But I just built a new PC workstation for my video editing business.  I don't mind paying the Apple tax, but what I do mind is paying it for years old technology that was already a generation old when it debuted.  Core i7 6850k and 6850x's would've been just find in upgraded Mac Pro with updated ports.  I don't buy this notion that it has to be Xenon's or nothing.
  • Reply 87 of 132
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

So we can have a mac book pro with upgrade-able parts, ports that are useful today and more than 16GB ram? that would be a start.
    Get real, upgradable ports sucks for the same reason modular phones suck -- limits weight and power efficiency. 
  • Reply 88 of 132

sog35 said:
    MacPro said:
    I'll be happy with my 2013  6 core Mac Pro for a few more years for sure, it is a fabulous Mac, probably the best ever and I've owned every one from the Mac II fx on,  but darn it, I wish Apple hadn't abandoned the 'professional software' I still use daily, namely Aperture.
    I find the abandonment of Aperture particularly puzzling. It's difficult to believe they could not maintain that app with a small, focused team completely zeroed in on improving that product.
    its about FOCUS

Apple can't be distracted by some stuff like Aperture
    Right because Planet of the Apps is something Apple should be focusing on. Screw pro consumers when there's a Shark Tank rip off to be produced.
    Complete troll nonsense to claim that the video content team has any way of slowing down hardware.
    Soli
  • Reply 89 of 132

So we can have a mac book pro with upgrade-able parts, ports that are useful today and more than 16GB ram? that would be a start.
    Get real, upgradable ports sucks for the same reason modular phones suck -- limits weight and power efficiency. 
    1) There's a reason that Project Ara failed.

2) Why are people still bitching about more than 16 GiB in a mobile device with a mobile Intel chip? I get it when people didn't know that it wasn't possible without foregoing LP RAM, but this should be common knowledge on tech forums for most posters. From what I've read we're two generations away before Intel's mobile architecture will natively support 32 GiB or more in their mobile processors.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 90 of 132
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Sorry Timmy, your continued lies about "road maps, pipelines, and pros are important to us" don't match your actions.
    You're claiming has no plans about future products (road maps) or products that will be ready to be released in the near future (pipeline)?
    Your definition of near future?

[irrelevant image]
    So because the Mac Pro hasn't been updated in a ridiculously long time that means that Apple is doing absolutely NOTHING? You're also claiming Apple has zero plans for any future products and will have no products coming out this year that will be used a single professional? Do you really want to make such a stupid claim? How about giving Tim Cook some help by saying that he should take people off landscaping duty at Apple Park so they can get back to working on the next Mac Pro?¡
    What are you even talking about.  I don't care if Apple is making iPhones, doing a lot of great things, landscaping their campus or what ever.   All I care about is what affects my company.  We are talking about Pro Desktops and only about Pro Desktops.  HP and Dell have updated their workstations twice in that time which means my competitors using PC are far ahead of what we have.  44 core Xeon E5's, modern graphic cards, DDR4 Ram, tons of expansion....  

Did I say Apple is a bad company.  NO, I didn't.  They are doing fantastic in many areas.  Unfortunately for me, they are not in the areas that I need.  Apple is not catering to the Pro market so Tim's words are complete crap to me.  HP and Dell will be releasing their 3rd update soon.  I can not afford to have my company die waiting for Apple.  We badly require additional machines and have machines that need to be replaced It will be hell in high water before I buy their current joke of machine at the prices they are asking.  I don't really care what your opinion is, bottom line is Apple will soon be loosing another long time Mac using company.
    I'm talking about your exact words. You stated quite clearly that Tim Cook has been LYING about having an road maps for the company and LYING about there being pipeline. All of these things are clearly false, yet you still made the claim.

Even if you were making unsubstantiated claims that Tim Cook is making promises to you, you're current reasoning that "HP created a machine that had this and that" is not a reasonable argument that Apple should be copying everything HP is doing. Just because they bought HP's HQ doesn't mean they need to become HP.

I get it, you want something specific and you're not getting your exact needs met. You may even want 64 GiB of non-LPDDR RAM in a Mac notebook that uses a desktop CPU and brings back the HDD because you like the higher capacity for less money over the reliability, size and performance of an SSD. That's fine! You can "wish for" whatever you want, but when you start making claims that a CEO is LYING to you and then trying making silly claims that there are no road maps or products in the pipeline, you sound like a deranged child.

My suggestion to you—and with everyone else not happy with how a corporation chooses to conduct business legally—is to choose another company that best suits your needs. For example, I'd love to use this app with my Mac but Apple has removed SNMP support from their latest AEBS for reasons I can't begin to understand. That means I have to deal with the current AEBS or buy a router from a different vendor—but there is no crying on a fucking message board about how Tim Cook has forsaken you.
    To be extra clear:

Tim Cook = "The pro area is very important to us. The creative area is very important to us in particular."
    MacPro = 1167 Days
    Translation = Lies.
    That's such myopic nonsense. You, like everyone on this forum, are completely ignorant as to what the exact causes are for the MP stagnation. To claim out of this ignorance that it is in fact a conspiracy of lies, is idiotic and childish.
    Soli
  • Reply 91 of 132
    Complete troll nonsense to claim that the video content team has any way of slowing down hardware.
    I still can't wrap my mind around these asshat comments that imply that the same people that would work on SW or HW are the same people who would writing, producing, directing, or any other number of job titles for a TV show. They do that Apple isn't being run by 2 guys our of a garage, right?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 92 of 132
    Soli said:

I've never once had a product from Apple that had exactly what I wanted, but I weigh the pros and cons and then make a decision based on what will benefit me the most. Apple owes you nothing and you owe them nothing. Buy what suits your needs and leave it at that. If that means not choosing an Apple product then that's how you let Apple know they're not getting your business. It's that fucking simple.
    Yeah sounds pretty simple to me as well. Not sure why the children can't get this into their heads. It's like they feel the world owes them something. That Apple owes them the dream product which exists in their own heads. I have to wonder if these people have ever run a business.
    Soli
  • Reply 93 of 132

crowley said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    Personally, I don't care if the Mac Pro is ever updated, but I lean toward updating it or getting rid of it altogether just to shut people up. Clearly the sales aren't high enough to warrant annual updates, so the people bitching about that on here are either in a very small group of Mac Pro buyers are bitching about a product they've never owned.

So let me get this straight.  You don't own or need a MacPro.  You don't care if the Mac Pro ever gets updated but at the same time, those that do need and require them are not allowed to voice their displeasure with out the Soli Internet police coming out and saying "I don't need it updated so therefor it doesn't need updating".  Look sir,  I don't really care about you myopic view of life.   This topic is about Pro's.  If you "don't care" or want to hear pro's bitch about the state of the Mac, I suggest you stay away from those articles and more importantly don't post on a topic you clearly know nothing about and from your own words don't even care about.

Apple is free to do what ever they want.  If they want to kill the MacPro, then that is their prerogative.  Tim should just say we are going in a different direction and we are not getting enough sales in the pro market to justify our involvement.  End of storey.  Instead, we get continuous pathetic words that say "Desktops are very important to us, they're in our road map" and "Pro's are very important to us" followed by actions that are polar opposite (leading us to 4 year update cycles. products well behind competitors in every way).  I call those lies, you can call them what ever you want.  Then you state that one of those new MacBook Pro's should solve all the pro's problem.  LOL.   Don't get me wrong, the MacBook Pro is an excellent machine but a lot of Pro's need power much greater than what can be had from a Mobile GPU and a few cores of mobile CPU.   Even the current MacPro is a great machine if the year was 2013 and the world sat still.  As I mentioned, both Dell and HP have updated their desktop workstations twice in that time and currently offer 44core systems, with 2017 graphic cards, the latest ram specs, etc. so that is what I have to compare it to.  For the same price as a 12 core mac with ancient graphics, I can get a 36 core Dell with high end Dual Nvidia Quadro's and DDR4 that will make the MacPro look like its 2013 all over again.

To be clear this whole discussion is not whether Apple should or should not update the MacPro.  Its about Tim spewing his words around as if they mean anything to the pro community.  His words don't make me any money,  a new MacPro will.  So put out or shut up.
    Regardless of your Mac Pro needs—which is questionable based on your comments—you've repeatedly claimed that Tim Cook has no interest in any professional user whereby you called him a liar for saying there are road maps and products in the pipeline because you don't consider anything else a professional-grade product. That makes your entire argument bull-fucking-shit.
    Some people used language that was a bit too spicy for you so you start mouthing off?  Cry me a fucking river; you've made a complete ass of yourself in this thread.
    Nonsense. He's continued to hammer the same point into deaf ears -- the nMP is not the only Pro series product Apple makes. To say that because it hasn't been updated for reasons we know nothing about means Cook is lying to you is simply idiotic. 
    Soli
  • Reply 94 of 132
    crowley said:
    I don't see any liars -- just those ignorant to the reality of markets, choices, and responsibility. And some tinfoil hat nonsense about Cook lying to the stockholders, despite that being illegal.
    Soli
  • Reply 95 of 132
    altivec88altivec88 Posts: 135member
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Sorry Timmy, your continued lies about "road maps, pipelines, and pros are important to us" don't match your actions.
    You're claiming has no plans about future products (road maps) or products that will be ready to be released in the near future (pipeline)?

[irrelevant image]
    So because the Mac Pro hasn't been updated in a ridiculously long time that means that Apple is doing absolutely NOTHING? You're also claiming Apple has zero plans for any future products and will have no products coming out this year that will be used a single professional? Do you really want to make such a stupid claim? How about giving Tim Cook some help by saying that he should take people off landscaping duty at Apple Park so they can get back to working on the next Mac Pro?¡
    What are you even talking about.  I don't care if Apple is making iPhones, doing a lot of great things, landscaping their campus or what ever.   All I care about is what affects my company.  We are talking about Pro Desktops and only about Pro Desktops.  HP and Dell have updated their workstations twice in that time which means my competitors using PC are far ahead of what we have.  44 core Xeon E5's, modern graphic cards, DDR4 Ram, tons of expansion....  

Did I say Apple is a bad company.  NO, I didn't.  They are doing fantastic in many areas.  Unfortunately for me, they are not in the areas that I need.  Apple is not catering to the Pro market so Tim's words are complete crap to me.  HP and Dell will be releasing their 3rd update soon.  I can not afford to have my company die waiting for Apple.  We badly require additional machines and have machines that need to be replaced It will be hell in high water before I buy their current joke of machine at the prices they are asking.  I don't really care what your opinion is, bottom line is Apple will soon be loosing another long time Mac using company.
    I'm talking about your exact words. You stated quite clearly that Tim Cook has been LYING about having an road maps for the company and LYING about there being pipeline. All of these things are clearly false, yet you still made the claim.

Even if you were making unsubstantiated claims that Tim Cook is making promises to you, you're current reasoning that "HP created a machine that had this and that" is not a reasonable argument that Apple should be copying everything HP is doing. Just because they bought HP's HQ doesn't mean they need to become HP.

I get it, you want something specific and you're not getting your exact needs met. You may even want 64 GiB of non-LPDDR RAM in a Mac notebook that uses a desktop CPU and brings back the HDD because you like the higher capacity for less money over the reliability, size and performance of an SSD. That's fine! You can "wish for" whatever you want, but when you start making claims that a CEO is LYING to you and then trying making silly claims that there are no road maps or products in the pipeline, you sound like a deranged child.

My suggestion to you—and with everyone else not happy with how a corporation chooses to conduct business legally—is to choose another company that best suits your needs. For example, I'd love to use this app with my Mac but Apple has removed SNMP support from their latest AEBS for reasons I can't begin to understand. That means I have to deal with the current AEBS or buy a router from a different vendor—but there is no crying on a fucking message board about how Tim Cook has forsaken you.
    To be extra clear:

Tim Cook = "The pro area is very important to us. The creative area is very important to us in particular."
    MacPro = 1167 Days
    Translation = Lies.
    That's such myopic nonsense. You, like everyone on this forum, are completely ignorant as to what the exact causes are for the MP stagnation. To claim out of this ignorance that it is in fact a conspiracy of lies, is idiotic and childish.
    I was wondering where you were.  Look, I respect your opinion of how I feel or more so how you think I should feel but the realities is you and I just don't see eye to eye.   Instead of getting into our continued battles that so far has done nothing to sway either of us into understanding each others position, I have chosen to ignore you.  I suggest you do the same for me.
  • Reply 96 of 132

crowley said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:

Some people used language that was a bit too spicy for you so you start mouthing off?  Cry me a fucking river; you've made a complete ass of yourself in this thread.
    Nonsense. He's continued to hammer the same point into deaf ears -- the nMP is not the only Pro series product Apple makes. To say that because it hasn't been updated for reasons we know nothing about means Cook is lying to you is simply idiotic. 
    No one said it was the only one.  It is, however, an important one.  And it's been over three years.  

Cook's rhetoric is consistent, but the actions of Apple of the past years regarding professional customers has been lacking.  Software has been retired (Aperture, Color, Shake), or suffered clumsy releases (FCPX), and hardware has gone without updates (MP), or problematic updates (MBP).  And momentum all round seems to have slowed.

Soli, in between his lies about me, accused me of distorting the truth by only posting a Mac Pro screenshot from the Buyers Guide.  Let's remedy that...

Look at that trend.  And Soli implied that the MBP was some kind of counter to the MP example.

There's a lot of reason to be sceptical about the depth of Apple's sincerity here.  I have no doubt that they have some roadmap for future pro hardware and software (contrary to Soli's lies, I have never claimed otherwise), but the current pace is not something to get excited about, and words are just words.

I don't see any reason to get tetchy with people who are unhappy about this.  If you don't care about the pro segment then go hang out in other threads, Soli and others getting defensive just seems like the fanboys rallying and not brooking any criticism. 
    singularity
  • Reply 97 of 132
    crowley said:
    I don't see any liars -- just those ignorant to the reality of markets, choices, and responsibility. And some tinfoil hat nonsense about Cook lying to the stockholders, despite that being illegal.
    You don't see how Soli claiming I said things that I categorically did not say is lying?

Soli - "You're also claiming Apple has zero plans for any future products and will have no products coming out this year that will be used a single professional?"
    Me - "I didn't say or claim any of those things"
    Soli - "
    You did, hence my quoting your comments and replying directly to your comments."

Soli cannot point to any comment I made where I say those things, because one does not exist.  He is a liar.
  • Reply 98 of 132
    Sorry, Tim… we don't need you to tell us that you're "…not abandoning" us – we need you to build us a killer MacPro that can handle raw RED 8K files!
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 99 of 132
    crowley said:

crowley said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:
    Soli said:

No one said it was the only one.  It is, however, an important one.  And it's been over three years.  

Cook's rhetoric is consistent, but the actions of Apple of the past years regarding professional customers has been lacking.  Software has been retired (Aperture, Color, Shake), or suffered clumsy releases (FCPX), and hardware has gone without updates (MP), or problematic updates (MBP).  And momentum all round seems to have slowed.

Soli, in between his lies about me, accused me of distorting the truth by only posting a Mac Pro screenshot from the Buyers Guide.  Let's remedy that...

Look at that trend.  And Soli implied that the MBP was some kind of counter to the MP example.

There's a lot of reason to be sceptical about the depth of Apple's sincerity here.  I have no doubt that they have some roadmap for future pro hardware and software (contrary to Soli's lies, I have never claimed otherwise), but the current pace is not something to get excited about, and words are just words.

I don't see any reason to get tetchy with people who are unhappy about this.  If you don't care about the pro segment then go hang out in other threads, Soli and others getting defensive just seems like the fanboys rallying and not brooking any criticism. 
    1) You and altivec88 are the ones who are upset about the Mac Pro and you're the one that backed up his claim that Cook is lying when he said there are road maps and products in the pipeline. I said the Mac Pro is irrelevant to Cook's comment, and you took offense, even as I stated that I don't think you actually believe what altivec88 stated about there being no products in the pipeline or no roadmap. There clearly aren't enough Mac Pro buyers for Apple to feel a need to update the machine more frequently, but if you want to take it as a personal slight against you, go right ahead but you're just going to make yourself miserable.

2) Yes, the MBP, iPad Pro, and every other product Apple makes that are used by professionals are a counter to the claim that Apple has nothing in the pipeline and no roadmap for professional users, a comment that you clearly supported and are now walking back from with your "I have no doubt that they have some roadmap for future pro hardware and software" comment in your latest post.

3) You said you wouldn't reply anymore, yet you're still bullshitting.
  • Reply 100 of 132
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    altivec88 said:

Most software pros I know use MBP and iMacs.  The ones jumping ship are video pros.
    Soli