YouTube TV to offer live TV from four major networks this spring for $35 per month

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    alphamanalphaman Posts: 17member
    sandor said:
    so why am i supposed to pay $35 a month for OTA channels i get for free?

I'm guessing that you probably don't have to. I, OTOH, live in an area with flat flood plains, save for two "mountains". All the TV companies have their antennas on Mountain #1. I live in the shadow of Mountain #2. Sadly, OTA simply doesn't work for me.

• Reply 42 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    eightzero said:
    Market forces control prices of commodities.
    Not when there are only six companies who make it their business to collude.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    eightzero said:
    Well, now that would be illegal, right?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    wiggin said:
    horvatic said:
    Why would I want to spend $35 on channels you can get over the air for free? Worthless and to expensive!!!! Total rip off!
    How are you going to watch those shows on your iPad? Watch them if you are away from home? Record it to watch later? Or watch last night's episode that you forgot to record?

Sure there are ways around that like setting up a computer based DVR, buy an OTA TiVo, etc. But the only way it's "free" is if you are willing/able to make sure you are sitting on the sofa at home when the show starts and be restricted to real-time viewing only (no pausing, rewind, commercial skipping, etc). Otherwise there is going to be some cost involved and/or it is going to be far less convenient.
    I have set up a Mac mini with EyeTV as a DVR. The EyeTV interface is very easy to use. 

I can easily vpn to my Mac from my iPad anywhere I have network access and watch any episode I want without the monthly subscription. 

It is not inconvenient at all. It does come with a significant upfront costs, but I have a computer and a DVR that I own, not rent. 

I'll pass on the YouTube service. It is a very poor value at $420 a year for over the air stations. 
  • Reply 45 of 48
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    wiggin said:
    horvatic said:
    Why would I want to spend $35 on channels you can get over the air for free? Worthless and to expensive!!!! Total rip off!
    How are you going to watch those shows on your iPad? Watch them if you are away from home? Record it to watch later? Or watch last night's episode that you forgot to record?

Sure there are ways around that like setting up a computer based DVR, buy an OTA TiVo, etc. But the only way it's "free" is if you are willing/able to make sure you are sitting on the sofa at home when the show starts and be restricted to real-time viewing only (no pausing, rewind, commercial skipping, etc). Otherwise there is going to be some cost involved and/or it is going to be far less convenient.

I can easily vpn to my Mac from my iPad anywhere I have network access and watch any episode I want without the monthly subscription. 

This is neat. You run a VPN server on the Mac? Can I ask for the reference on how to do so?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    eightzero said:
    wiggin said:
    horvatic said:

This is neat. You run a VPN server on the Mac? Can I ask for the reference on how to do so?
    Install and configure mac OS server and pay for a static IP address from your ISP (or subscribe to a dynamic DNS service). Google "mac server vpn" should get you several references. Here's one: http://www.macworld.com/article/3127065/networking/how-to-set-up-macos-server-s-vpn-service.html
    eightzero
  • Reply 47 of 48
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    eightzero said:
    and you have the middleman (Comcast) buying one of the six companies.

and the middleman (Comcast) vying to buy another middleman (Time Warner Cable)