Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to speak at April's Global Retailing Conference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2017
Apple retail head Angela Ahrendts will be one of the featured speakers at next month's Global Retailing Conference in Tucson, Ariz., according to the event's website.

The conference is scheduled for Apr. 20 and 21, where Ahrendts will be joined by executives from Macy's, Kendra Scott, Walmart, and other corporations. The only other major tech speaker present will be Alex Komoroske, a lead product manager at Google responsible for the Chrome Web Platform team.

Tickets for the event run between $400 and $695, with the lowest price being reserved for colleges, universities, and non-profits.

The subject of Ahrendts' talk is unknown, but since joining Apple in 2014 the executive has overseen some significant changes, such as new roles among retail workers. New and existing outlets have been adopting a more fashion-oriented aesthetic, combining elements like wooden shelves, tree groves, and oversized video displays.

Prior to Apple the executive was the CEO of Burberry, making her shift an unusual downgrade in job title, though Apple is a vastly bigger company.

One of the larger Apple projects spearheaded by Ahrendts has been manufacturing a "community" around each store. Some examples of this are "Teacher Tuesdays," and classes in which kids can learn to program in the company's Swift language.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I was beginning to wonder if she still worked there. She really should be getting out in front of the media more and putting out a pro-Apple message as she seems to be well liked by the retail workers.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:
    Very overpaid IMO.

Retail is getting less and less important. Brick and Mortar stores? Why bother? 

What has she done to justify her $100 million salary? Not much. 

She messed up the Watch launch. Retail stores look basically the same. China sales has TANKED last year (her calling card was growing China like she did for Burbury) and I have not seen anything spectacular. The retail store experience buying stuff on release day still kind sucks.

Again why is she getting paid $100 million?
    1. Brick and mortar stores are still relevant which is why Apple continues to build them, especially in places outside of the US where shipping online purchases is sometimes problematic and expensive.
    2. Her salary is probably a result of how much Apple had to offer her to leave Burberry.
    3. I think the people who want to stand in line on release day like doing it. People who don't, order online or wait until the rush settles down.

• Reply 3 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:
    China sales has TANKED last year

Not exactly TANKED and a good portion of the revenue decrease was due to currency fluctuations. Read this article.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/02/07/see-how-apples-growth-in-greater-china-could-once-again-top-european-revenue
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 4 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Are Apple stores still making more per square foot than Tiffany's? (Last figures I can find are from May last year, and Apple were substantially ahead of everyone else.)
  • Reply 5 of 25
    anome said:
    Are Apple stores still making more per square foot than Tiffany's? (Last figures I can find are from May last year, and Apple were substantially ahead of everyone else.)
    I believe Apple makes more per square foot at retail than any other company.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    She actually does something? Oh, she gives talks? I've been wondering for the longest time what Tim Cook hired her for, with the exception of buying the ability to drop her name. Kinda like Anand, Marc Newson, Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. 
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 7 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    anome said:
    I believe Apple makes more per square foot at retail than any other company.

That's kind of implied by them beating Tiffany's, who I thought were second (jewellery is a high revenue business), but I see that at least last year, Murphy USA, who apparently operate service stations, were second to Apple, and about US$1000 ahead of Tiffany's.

• Reply 8 of 25
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    sog35 said:
    Very overpaid IMO.

She messed up the Watch launch. Retail stores look basically the same. China sales has TANKED last year (her calling card was growing China like she did for Burbury) and I have not seen anything spectacular. The retail store experience buying stuff on release day still kind sucks.

Horse puckey. There's no way nearly 500 around the world retail stores are irrelevant. Apple would be seriously hurting without them. My Tampa Apple is always busy, friendly, and efficient, and has been for over a decade ago as store #8 (or 9?) to open.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 25
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Topic of her speech: How to alienate your most loyal customer base in three easy steps.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 25
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    sog35 said:
    Very overpaid IMO.

Ms. Ahrendts did get a rather large (what might be thought of as a) signing bonus when she agreed to come to Apple, mostly in the form of RSUs. Those RSUs were to vest over several years and most of them already have.

But beyond the package she got when she joined Apple, she makes more or less the same as the (7) other SVPs and the COO. Depending on how well Apple and AAPL do, they (with some relatively small variation between them) make in the ballpark of $25 million in total compensation per year.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 25
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    sog35 said:
    Very overpaid IMO.

Horse puckey. There's no way nearly 500 around the world retail stores are irrelevant. Apple would be seriously hurting without them. My Tampa Apple is always busy, friendly, and efficient, and has been for over a decade ago as store #8 (or 9?) to open.
    Yeah, Apple's brick and mortar presence is quite substantial and, I think, quite important to what they do and are able to do.

And Ms. Ahrendts is responsible for considerably more than just the physical stores (e.g. Apple's online store and customer contact center).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    sog35 said:
    Very overpaid IMO.

Nonsense. As we told you then, the head of retail can't overcome severe supply constraint -- there were no Watches to sell. Just as there are still no AirPods to sell. 

While I don't think any executives are worth the obscene hundreds-of-times more they are paid than average workers, I also don't think she's in some way underperforming. I'm not her manager so how would I know? 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 13 of 25

mj web said:
    She actually does something? Oh, she gives talks? I've been wondering for the longest time what Tim Cook hired her for, with the exception of buying the ability to drop her name. Kinda like Anand, Marc Newson, Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine. 
    Why wouldn't she? She hasn't been fired by her manager. So unless you're in the executive round tables with Cook, I fail to see how "mj web" has any info to suggest otherwise. Are you a close personal friend?
  • Reply 14 of 25

g-news said:
    Topic of her speech: How to alienate your most loyal customer base in three easy steps.
    Guess you need to stop by my local store -- swamped. Every. Day. 

Here's what I realized long ago -- the vocal whiners on rumor sites aren't as important as they think they are. And despite all the whining, none of them have "switched" after [latest techie injustice!].
    anomeai46jagnut
  • Reply 15 of 25
    The $55 million dollar executive.  Hey Angie, the shopping experience in your stores stinks.  Fix it.  
  • Reply 16 of 25
    carnegie said:
    sog35 said:
    Very overpaid IMO.

Ms. Ahrendts did get a rather large (what might be thought of as a) signing bonus when she agreed to come to Apple, mostly in the form of RSUs. Those RSUs were to vest over several years and most of them already have.

But beyond the package she got when she joined Apple, she makes more or less the same as the (7) other SVPs and the COO. Depending on how well Apple and AAPL do, they (with some relatively small variation between them) make in the ballpark of $25 million in total compensation per year.
    It's my own personal suspicion that Ahrends was brought in as a backup to Tim Cook in case he decides to leave or if he was unable to continue to serve as CEO. Her overly generous compensation tipped me to that conclusion.
  • Reply 17 of 25

The $55 million dollar executive.  Hey Angie, the shopping experience in your stores stinks.  Fix it.  
    In what way does it "stink"?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    She came in with the promise of a major retail re-imagining.
    I haven't seen that happen.
    Retail stores are fine but seem on auto-pilot, no major change.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    The Apple Store was Steve Jobs' vision. I think he was after a library type experience. All due respect to Ms. Ahrends' Hurculean efforts, Apple Stores haven't changed one iota since Parsons designed that table. :)
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Very overpaid IMO.

Fortunately, it's your opinion so it carries very little weight. 

Your inability to see the big picture continues to astound me. The Retail chain has never been about 'Bricks and Mortar'. Jobs signed off on the retail chain when the likes of Gateway and other computer manufacturers were closing up their high street shops and Dell was in its ascendency. Jobs said at the time that the retail chain was more about giving Apple a place where people could go and try out the kit, something that you cannot do with an online store. Something that people want to do when they're dropping a ton of money on a Mac. Seriously, try to look beyond the numbers; the fact you can't is why you miss everything that's right in front of your face.

And going back to your lack of research, Ahrendts is not only responsible for the retail shops (which means she is responsible for the health and happiness of 60% of Apple's employees), but also the online stores, and the integration of these stores with the main web site. Her contacts and savvy made sure that the Apple Watch launch had enough celeb endorsements to garner interest outside the regular Apple customer sphere (which isn't here by the way). She is rebranding the stores and has to navigate the reams of local laws and regulations in dozens of countries when she opens the new ones. The China expansion was fast by anyone's standards, and if China sales have tanked then that's not because they can't buy Apple products. It's because Apple is in a market that is supported by state-sponsored IP theft. They could get out, but then people like you would just whine about the stock hit.

Oh, did I mention that 
    Ahrendts is also the head of Apple's entire customer support operation worldwide? That includes the new chatbots, support and much improved service as a whole is down to her. Basically, anything customer-facing is down to her, so my guess is that she's also responsible for Apple's new focus on regional advertising. (Which other Apple exec spends so much time visiting Apple operations all over the globe?)

I have to laugh at the people who think she does nothing. I bet she wishes she had the time for the amount of ill-informed forum whining that goes on round here.

patchythepirate