Apple's 'iPhone 8' using custom fingerprint tech, not starting production until September ...

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is developing a custom fingerprint sensor for its OLED-based "iPhone 8," and as a result might not begin production of the device until September -- well after a July start date for two LCD-based iPhone models, a report claimed on Friday.

The company is planning to use an algorithm from AuthenTec -- the sensor company it acquired in 2012 -- and combine it with glass identification technology from Privaris, sources told DigiTimes. The sensor will allegedly be produced at TSMC's 12-inch line using a 65-nanometer process.

With no physical home button to host a capacitive Touch ID sensor, Apple will instead turn to other concepts such as ultrasound, the sources said.

The idea of an alternate fingerprint sensor is consistent with recent claims by the likes of KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has suggested that Apple could combine something like optical fingerprint technology with 3D facial recognition and/or iris scanning for biometric authentication.

DigiTimes has a mixed track record with regards to Apple products, however, and starting "iPhone 8" production in September would likely imply a launch date in November -- a time when Apple has released other products, but never an iPhone.

Previous rumors had pegged the "iPhone 8" to start production earlier than normal, with the first batch of parts and chips expected to have been delivered to Apple late in the first calendar quarter of 2017.

Apple will sometimes ship its biggest products well after their initial announcements. The original iPhone, for instance, was revealed in Jan. 2007, but only launched in June that year. The first Apple Watch was announced in Sept. 2014, but shipped in Apr. 2015.

The "iPhone 8" has also sometimes been nicknamed the "iPhone X," referring to it being a 10th-anniversary iPhone. Some other features are expected to include wireless charging, and fast cable charging, making use of some form of USB-C technology, though likely integrated into Apple's Lightning standard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    The iPhone 12 has been delayed until October 2024.
    SoliwlymMetriacanthosauruswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    And the guesswork rolls ever on…
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 3 of 11
    What are these rumors based upon? They seem so vague I don't know how they connect to any time factor. Do they even know how far along Apple is on developing this new sensor? I'm sure Apple isn't divulging any information about it, so how would any outsiders know that's happening. It really isn't right for people to make up fictitious stories and try to pass them as being close to true. It sounds like pure misinformation to me that's not worth writing about.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    "The company is planning to use an algorithm from AuthenTec -- the sensor company it acquired in 2012"

Hasn't Apple been using algorithms from AuthenTec since 2012?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    If true, it's a great way to squeeze more monthly payments out of the Apple iPhone Upgrade program.  
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Phooey. Apple isn't missing the December quarter with the iPhone. If a part is not ready by July, they won't be using it this year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jungmark said:
    Phooey. Apple isn't missing the December quarter with the iPhone. If a part is not ready by July, they won't be using it this year. 
    I'd be funny if Apple's plan was actually always  to ship iPhone 8 next year, and the 7s this year, just as their "tick tock" strategy been since 2010. If Kuo guessed wrong about the date, he would simply say Apple "missed the launch window" and the tech media would all write stories about their disappointment that it's another year of the "ancient" iPhone 6 design and if Apple doesn't refresh it for the sake of fashion, they're doomed.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    What are these rumors based upon? They seem so vague I don't know how they connect to any time factor. Do they even know how far along Apple is on developing this new sensor? I'm sure Apple isn't divulging any information about it, so how would any outsiders know that's happening. It really isn't right for people to make up fictitious stories and try to pass them as being close to true. It sounds like pure misinformation to me that's not worth writing about.
    This is just throwing crap at the wall. No one has a clue. Cook has successfully doubled down on secrecy and this nonsense is the result.  
  • Reply 9 of 11
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sog35 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    If true, it's a great way to squeeze more monthly payments out of the Apple iPhone Upgrade program.  
    Tim Cook is truly playing 4D Chess
    The recent fluctuations in apples fortunes (in its share price) has affected you deeply. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Iris scanning or facial recognition are both way more inconvenient than my finger.