Google's second-gen Pixel due in 2017, will tackle Apple iPhone in 'premium' segment

Posted:
in General Discussion
Riding off the success of its first self-designed phone, the Pixel, Google is at work on a second-generation model that will continue to challenge Apple's iPhone in the "premium" smartphone market, the company's hardware chief revealed on Friday.

Google's original Pixel.
Google's original Pixel.

"There is an annual rhythm in the industry. So, you can count on us to follow it," said Rick Osterloh in an interview with AndroidPIT. "You can count on a successor this year, even if you don't hear a date from me now."

Many smartphones, Apple's iPhones included, are released in the fall if not in the current post-Mobile World Congress season. The first Pixel was launched in Oct. 2016, roughly a month after Apple debuted the iPhone 7, and less than two months after Samsung shipped its ill-fated Galaxy Note 7.

"Pixel stays premium," Osterloh commented. Some of Google's earlier Nexus phones were popular for offering high-end specifications at medium-range prices, but the devices weren't intended to generate much revenue. Instead they were meant for developers and diehard Android fans, as well as leading the Android industry by example.

The Pixel represents Google's first serious attempt at turning a profit through smartphones. Though it already controls a small portion of U.S. marketshare, the company faces an uphill battle, given that in recent quarters Apple has regularly taken a majority of industry profits despite representing holding a minority of sales.

In one quarter Apple is even estimated to have taken 103.6 percent of operating profits, something made possible by losses at rival vendors. Apple has seized the majority of the operating profits in the smartphone industry for the last four years.

A fall release date would pit a "Pixel 2" head-to-head with Apple's rumored "iPhone 7s" models, as well as the "iPhone 8," which is expected to be the first OLED-based iPhone, using a 5.8-inch display with roughly 0.7 inches being set aside for virtual buttons. It may also sport wireless charging, some form of USB-C technology, and different biometric technologies including 3D facial recognition, iris scanning, and/or an alternate form of fingerprint detection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    "Riding off the success..."? Oh c'mon. Prove it. With even one iota of a data point. (No, the "1.3% market share" quoted in some shady article does not count, and even if it did, 1.3% is not "success").

Prediction: The second Pixel will be as DOA as the first one.
    edited March 2017 tmayslprescottandrewj5790fotoformatStrangeDaysMacProbaconstangstardustaglmagoofrac
  • Reply 2 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    While I'm certain there are some millions of potential buyers of the Pixel, aspiring to beat the iPhone is such BS. No matter what you think about the Pixel, iOS and Android OS are almost entirely separate ecosystems. It's wonderful that Google aspires to meet or exceed the iPhone, but in the premium segment for iOS, there is only Apple. In Android OS, there are many, many brands that seek the same premium segment. The Android OS Premium segment looks to me like yet another round of "Race to the Bottom" in profits.
    andrewj5790StrangeDayslmagooalbegarcwatto_cobracornchipmagman1979horvatic
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Google only really did one thing interesting with the Pixel. They added inline hardware encryption, no doubt to improve performance with encryption enabled. To my knowledge, it's the only Android vendor to have ever done so.

Finally caught up with the iPhone 3GS.
    bdkennedy1002andrewj5790lmagooshikotsumyakualbegarcpatchythepiratebrakkenwatto_cobradoozydozenredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 48
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    A friend had to replace a Samsung Note 7 and considered Pixel Phone since it came out around the time of the Note 7 recall.

He did not buy the Pixel Phone: "No waterproofing, whereas I can get that with other phones."

I don't see Pixel Phone surviving any more than the recently cancelled Chromebook Pixel.
    andrewj5790lmagoowatto_cobradoozydozencornchiplollivermagman1979horvatic
  • Reply 5 of 48
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Will it have a wide color gamut display? Haptic feedback? Will it be waterproof? Or have a quality (i.e. not plastic) case? They kicked so many features down the road with their last model that it should have been called the "Google Punt".
    andrewj5790rotateleftbytelmagoopatchythepiratebrakkenwatto_cobradoozydozenpscooter63cornchipmagman1979
  • Reply 6 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I think the only thing the Pixel really does is take sales away from other Android manufacturers. I'd like to see a no BS comparison sheet that shows the potential iPhone buyers (or current iPhone owners) who bought a Pixel instead. 
    andrewj5790watto_cobraredgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 7 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    :sigh: I'm glad they are going to build a better quality phone, but it's silly to present as being some upset to the iPhone when their Android-based devices have never had decent marketshare. How about Google first try to take a decent position amongst the higher-end Android-based devices that Samsung currently controls. After that I'd understand setting sights on trying to usurp the iPhone for best smartphone on the market.
    StrangeDaysbrakkenwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 8 of 48
    john.b said:
    Will it have a wide color gamut display? Haptic feedback? Will it be waterproof? Or have a quality (i.e. not plastic) case? They kicked so many features down the road with their last model that it should have been called the "Google Punt".
    Of all those, I'd say that waterproof is the only likely one since that's the most marketable feature. If it's not easily understood or can't be put on 3"×5" spec sheet then it's usually not a priority for a vendor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 48
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    That's a good one, file it under YAWN. What did one of the carriers say on record...interest in the Pixel is "1/10th" of the iPhone?
    andrewj5790watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 10 of 48
    john.b said:

Lots of phones have wide gamut displays. The problem with Android is it lacks color management and therefore the ability to properly render content accurately. Lots of Android fans confuse color management with gamut and assume because phones like the S7 have wide gamut that they automatically display content properly.
    andrewj5790StrangeDayspatchythepiratewatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 11 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Soli said:
    :sigh: I'm glad they are going to build a better quality phone, but it's silly to present as being some upset to the iPhone when their Android-based devices have never had decent marketshare. How about Google first try to take a decent position amongst the higher-end Android-based devices that Samsung currently controls. After that I'd understand setting sights on trying to usurp the iPhone for best smartphone on the market.
    Isn't the AI article just the author's view that Google is trying to upstage the iPhone? I don't think Google has ever mentioned Apple as being a competitor, much less trying to build a better iPhone. They're trying to build one of the best ANDROID phones. But I suppose everyone in reality has to compete with it. 

EDIT: Just read the source article and I was correct. Not one mention of Apple or an iPhone. 
    edited March 2017 SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 48
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    Isn't the AI article just the author's view that Google is trying to upstage the iPhone? I don't think Google has ever mentioned Apple as being a competitor, much less trying to build a better iPhone. They're trying to build one of the best ANDROID phones. But I suppose everyone in reality has to compete with it. 

EDIT: Just read the source article and I was correct. Not one mention of Apple or an iPhone. 
    I don't know who started it, but it's usually the media, and sometimes the marketing department that makes these comparisons. If it's AI, then shame on them for sensationalizing something that we should all want to see in technology: better devices.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    ah, the 2017 edition of the "new iphone-killer!" article. 

yawn. let me know when it achieves this. 
    watto_cobraredgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 14 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:

I agree.
    Media horse racing or more clickbait. Typical for a Friday when there are few tech news releases.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Riding off the success of its first self-designed phone, the Pixel, Google is at work on a second-generation model that will continue to challenge Apple’s iPhone in the "premium" smartphone market, the company's hardware chief revealed on Friday.
    Like the Nexus did? Just asking.
    watto_cobrabaconstangmagman1979
  • Reply 16 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Another iPhone killer on the way. /s
    xzuericthehalfbeewatto_cobraredgeminipamagman1979
  • Reply 17 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "Riding off the success..."? Oh c'mon. Prove it. With even one iota of a data point. (No, the "1.3% market share" quoted in some shady article does not count, and even if it did, 1.3% is not "success").

Prediction: The second Pixel will be as DOA as the first one.
    Exactly. What are the numbers?

Hey analysts, If that's a success, why isn't the Apple Watch considered one?
    mwhiteStrangeDayswatto_cobrabaconstangredgeminipacornchipmagman1979
  • Reply 18 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:

Agreed, it's silly click bait.  Google have a pretty low bar as per your correct comment, "They're trying to build one of the best ANDROID phones" so maybe they will succeed.  Given there is as of 2016 apparently only 9% of the global smart phone profits to share out it shouldn't even rate as a product worth mentioning on AI.  One Android web site I just read claims there are +4000 Android devices and +400 Android manufactures and 87.5% market share (not that that means diddly squat with 9% of the profits), it must be a really tough place to try and make a dollar let alone a good product given the profits or lack thereof.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/23/apple-captures-record-91-percent-of-global-smartphone-profits-research.html
    edited March 2017 StrangeDayswatto_cobrabaconstangmagman1979
  • Reply 19 of 48
    john.b said:
    But the iPhone 7 is a failure... Well that's what so many people said at the time of the launch.

There is a room for the pixel but not at iPhone prices. When I looked at the Pixel it was priced the same as the corresponding iPhone.
    If Google were to price it at around $150 less than the iPhone then it might get some market traction.
    watto_cobrabaconstangnetmage
  • Reply 20 of 48
    My co-worker bought a pixel when it came out, he used to have an iPhone, then a Galaxy S5. His Pixel lasted 1 month before it mysteriously stopped working just went dead. He has to wait 5 months for  replacement. I told him if that had happened to an iPhone he could have walked into an Apple store and replaced it the same day. His response " I just can't stand the limitations of iOS". Such is the way with these people. I tell you its impossible to reason with people like him. Its fun watching him burried in his Android interface for hours trying to do things I can do on my iPhone in seconds. Stupidity has no limits
    calijdunyspatchythepiratewatto_cobrabaconstangpscooter63larryamagman1979icoco3