What you can and cannot do with an Apple Pencil on iPad Pro

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I concur. There's a demo of the Surface that does such a transcription of handwritten notation into print as it is entered - just awesome.

I do tend to just play it into the sequencer, and then clean up the notation, though.
  • Reply 102 of 118
    spheric wrote: »
    I concur. There's a demo of the Surface that does such a transcription of handwritten notation into print as it is entered - just awesome.

I do tend to just play it into the sequencer, and then clean up the notation, though.

I know of one app for iOS which just added handwritten notation recognition (the app name escapes me at the moment), but it would be nice for this capability to be integrated in Apple's apps.
  • Reply 103 of 118
    I've already worn out one of the nibs. Any idea of the avaulability of replacement tips? I can't find any info anywhere beyond the pencil ships with an extra one.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    If you can't right-click while holding the Pencil a few millimeters above the screen then it's a failure. /s
    Just as we all predicted!  /s
  • Reply 105 of 118
    galesgales Posts: 1member
    I'm surprised that Handwriting recognition if not more of an issue. HWR is an essential feature for all pen-enabled tablets before the iPad. Fortunately, Phatware's Writepad pro gives us an excellent HWR Systemwide keyboard that works really well. Works better than the Surface Pro 3 built-in HWR in my opinion.
    Same sentiment here.  I'm considering getting the Pro with Pencil but I can find little about HWR. Seems that most apps really only facility drawing or scribbling notes on a pdf, not as the main text input, say for composing an email or document.  My wish is that handwriting recognition becomes a standard input choice in iOS, so that I could actually handwrite in any app and have my handwriting convert to text as i write. Woody Harrelson's character demonstrated how this might work in a scene in Mockingjay part 1.

Would also be nice to save a version in my actual handwriting if I choose.  Writing in cursive is almost dead (not taught in many schools anymore) but I'm betting that Apple could bring cursive handwriting back; maybe even mainstream again.  It's very therapeutic to handwrite in cursive, plus for things like entering numbers or formulas in spreadsheets I'm betting it's much faster to be able to tap on a cell with the pencil and immediately be able to handwrite a number or formula in the cell.

Questions:
    1) Has apple given any indication on where it will go with handwriting recognition?
    2) What apps are available that support cursive handwriting input?
    3) Does anyone have experience using MyScript Stylus?  It seems to allow handwriting input as a 3rd party keyboard.
    4) is there a forum somewhere where HWR is being discussed?  Ideally somewhere that Apple is plugged into.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

• Reply 106 of 118
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

nagromme said:
    As a life-long Wacom fan (I have one before me right now), I will say that I always liked the IDEA of side-buttons and eraser end. The idea. But in practice, I've found both features super annoying. Tapping a tool is quicker than reversing the entire stylus in your hand, and besides, I'd rather have the precision point for ALL edits, including erasure. As for side buttons, they force you to be careful how you hold it, they don't feel good, and I hit them by mistake occasionally. If they save time, it's not enough to be worth it. If ever simplicity was a virtue, it's in an artist's pencil. Interesting about edge gestures. I guess they want you to feel free to draw right up and past the edge--and back again--in all apps. Surprised--and very pleased--that palm rejection works in all apps with no software support needed!
    Side buttons provide a nice way to right click while using a pen. That's how I always used them on a Wacom. Recall that Wacom designed stuff to use with other devices sold by other manufacturers without problematic drivers.
  • Reply 107 of 118
    You can now Magnetically attach Pencil to your iPad Pro, with PenSe worth checking out! 
  • Reply 108 of 118
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 109 of 118
    pencil sucks big time, you have to press too hard to register and when using procreate you can't use the pencil to choose brushes, must use finger, it's an ill conceived idea, shame on you apple
  • Reply 110 of 118
    jaygeo said:
    pencil sucks big time, you have to press too hard to register and when using procreate you can't use the pencil to choose brushes, must use finger, it's an ill conceived idea, shame on you apple
    I have a pencil and mine registers just by me simply letting it rest on the screen while barely adding any pressure.

Here's what I get without adjusting the pressure curve:

Here's what I get when I do adjust the pressure curve using about the same pressure levels:

I prefer the default. 

Also, I can select the brushes with the pencil. It is better to use my finger but it's sort of false to claim that it isn't possible to do with the pencil. You just have to be careful because the pencil is sensitive and will slide the box that the brush is in aside which interrupts the selection. I don't see how that issue in procreate is apple's fault. They didn't develop that app or decide what behavior the brush pallet would have. 
  • Reply 111 of 118
    I have seen devices that can be written on with the "pen" or "pencil" and it will "type" out what you write : say I'm sending an email and I don't want to use the keyboard, so I use the pencil instead, so I write it out on my ipad, and the ipad will "type" out the words as it recognizes them.  Can the pro do this with the pencil? (does this even make sense how I am wording this?)
  • Reply 112 of 118
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I have seen devices that can be written on with the "pen" or "pencil" and it will "type" out what you write : say I'm sending an email and I don't want to use the keyboard, so I use the pencil instead, so I write it out on my ipad, and the ipad will "type" out the words as it recognizes them.  Can the pro do this with the pencil? (does this even make sense how I am wording this?)
    You'll either need an app that is specifically built for that, or a third party keyboard for handwriting-to-text conversion like MyScript Stylus - https://appsto.re/gb/yl_G3.i
  • Reply 113 of 118
    To make one correction here, the pence works the same on the smaller iPad Pro as well. I use it on my 9.7 perfectly but thinking now maybe the article refers to the palm  rejection as I downloaded an app from App Store and my palm will input onto the screen.
  • Reply 114 of 118
    Very Good Article!
    ireland wrote: »
    nhughes wrote: »
    Basically, if you can do it in an app with your finger, you can do it with the Pencil.

You cannot invoke edge gestures, so no.

I suspect that the pencil UI will evolve to support some of these issues -- on a system level or an app level ...

The edge gestures, pinch/zoom, rotate, etc. could be done with a combination of the pencil and one or more fingers.

For example, press the pencil on a precise location and use a finger to zoom or rotate around that precise location.

For edge gestures they could supply a system-wide button or buttons.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 115 of 118
    SquareMikeSquareMike Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Just a quick correction on the last thing you said: the Apple Pencil works on both the 10 and 12-inch iPad Pro (I have the 10-inch one and it works perfectly fine).
  • Reply 116 of 118
    nagromme said:
    As a life-long Wacom fan... As for side buttons, they force you to be careful how you hold it, they don't feel good, and I hit them by mistake occasionally...

Agree on the eraser, I've never used it in 20 years of Wacom use. However the side buttons are indispensable. When drawing paths for example having one button set to 'control' and the other set to 'option', it becomes possible to seamlessly switch from the pen tool to the arrow or to the 'convert point' tool, which is sufficient to draw the most complex paths.
  • Reply 117 of 118
    Sean146Sean146 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Great story on iPad Pro Pen and it's ability to act as a stylus. Well written, easy to follow and answered all my queries. Thank-you   Good job.  😀