Apple execs looking to recruit TV & movie producers for 'transformative' change - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2017
Senior Apple executives have been talking to big-name Hollywood TV and film producers in the past two weeks in a bid to recruit them, a new report claims, as part of what could be a more ambitious video strategy.

Meetings in late February reportedly included ones between Eddy Cue -- Apple's senior VP of Internet Software and Services -- and Paramount Pictures, as well as Sony's TV and film divisions, according to the New York Post. An anonymous executive quoted by the paper said he had the impression Apple had transformative plans underway, and wasn't simply looking to buy TV shows.

"They talked to Sony and Paramount last week," an unspecified source told the New York Post. "They are preparing something big."

Apple is currently exploring more original video content, but in the form of material for Apple Music like "Planet of the Apps" and "Carpool Karaoke." Recruiting skilled producers would likely be a way of bolstering these efforts.

Apple has, however, periodically been rumored to be after its own streaming TV service, which could be aided by Netflix-style original content. Negotiations are thought to have died off because of hardline demands by Apple and resistance by content providers.

Also in February, a report revealed that Apple was involved in serious talks with Imagine Entertainment, the production company owned by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer. Apple was said to have been interested in possibilities like "first look" distribution, investment in the studio, or even buying the entire company.

Some outside parties like CNBC's Jim Cramer have called on Apple to buy Netflix, which would give it an instant leap into subscription video. Netflix has a market cap over $58 billion however, which might force Apple to delve deep into its cash reserves to pay, and/or issue more debt sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    DracarysDracarys Posts: 72member
    I hope Apple doesn't start in Netflix style content. So that it can only be played on Apple devices? I much prefer Netflix's style where you can play it on any device. 
  • Reply 2 of 43
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    No SJW content please Apple, and I'll sign up. 
    allmypeopletallest skiltrashman69
  • Reply 3 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    "transformative plans"? Since when is creating original content transformative? It seems to me the problem in this space is not lack of content. Not sure why Apple wants to go down that path. 
    allmypeopletallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Dracarys said:
    I hope Apple doesn't start in Netflix style content. So that it can only be played on Apple devices? I much prefer Netflix's style where you can play it on any device. 
    What does "Netflix style" mean? Netflix has original programming for all different styles and tastes, including original series based on existing properties like FULLER HOUSE.

Netflix developed Roku, and quickly spun it off, literally hours before it was to be released as a Netflix media player. Considering Apple offers Apple Muisc on multiple platforms, its likely they won't be short sighted with Apple Productions, either. However, there may be some exclusivity initially which will drive customers to the Apple platform if they want to see the programming. With over a billion device users, there's certainly a large enough audience to build sufficient buzz to draw the curious from other platforms, if only for the inexpensive cost of an Apple TV.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member

Go Eddy!
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Waste of time and money. Stop screwing around, Apple. 
  • Reply 7 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Although derided by some, Google's announcement of YouTube TV is actually fairly significant. It'll have live local stations, including CBS (if that's something you're into), which is evidently a network no other streaming service has gotten.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 8 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 said:
    Although derided by some, Google's announcement of YouTube TV is actually fairly significant. It'll have live local stations, including CBS (if that's something you're into), which is evidently a network no other streaming service has gotten.
    I have CBS on Playstation Vue.

Many of the major markets have CBS on Vue. 

Also note that YouTubeTV is only coming out on selected markets at first.
    Is it prerecorded CBS content, or is it live streaming?
  • Reply 9 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I think not buying Netflix was a huge missed opportunity. Although, I admit, I didn't have this foresight.

Now, I'm not sure creating their own is a great idea. Film/television/art needs to be very messy sometimes. It also sometimes needs to be very politically incorrect.

I'm a bit skeptical Apple has the corporate leeway to do this right.
    Sure, maybe buying Netflix 7 years ago would have been a great idea, but even then, I don't think it would have become the service it is today under Apple.  Netflix has grown to where it is buy focusing on growth and original content as soon as they could afford it, and getting onto every device in the world.  And ignoring profit along the way.  Do you think Apple would have done it that way?  Not likely.

Apple is a product company first and foremost.  Their services business as it exists today, with exception of Apple Music to a degree, is pulled along by the product.  Apple is not a services company, but they have a great services business.  So any new services should be thought about in that manner.

What about Apple Music, you say?  Good question.  I think that for Jobs, and then for Apple as a result, music was something more cultural that they felt they should be involved in with the advent of the iPod.  There was a problem to be solved there too.  That lead Apple into dominating (legal) online music sales for over a decade.  That helped grow the iPod business as well as the iPhone business in the early years.  Apple Music is a continuation of music business in the new paradigm.

I am not sure that "video" has as much culture impact as music does, at least as it pertains to influence in the product sphere.  There is a "ton" of new video content (movie, TV, indie) produced and consumed every year, but I don't think most of it is as influential as music.  The problem in video is not the same as in music.

That said, doing some original content with at least the goal to do something different (or have it consumed differently perhaps better to say), does keep Apple at the table and more involved.  Perhaps more able to shape how things go.  At that can be accomplished for much less than $90B it might take to buy Netflix today.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    frumiousfrumious Posts: 10member
    Wow. Just. Wow.

SERIOUS mission drift that will be gone in 5 years or less. What an embarrassingly suicidal waste of money and resources. Viewers are way, WAY too fickle to make this worthwhile. 
  • Reply 11 of 43
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It seems to me the problem in this space is not lack of content.
    But perhaps type of content.

I certainly get what you’re saying, though. If traditional visual media content really wants to modernize itself, the means by which it’s made available to consumers has to change.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 12 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    Love this move by Apple.

Its going to happen. PERIOD.  

Apple will make a massive push into content. MASSIVE.

How do I know?

"We will be doubling our Services revenue in the next 4 years....." Tim Cook

My shares of Apple are looking beautiful. Thanks Tim Cook! I did buy SNAP yesterday and QUICKLY sold it this morning for a small profit

All you care about is your stock portfolio. One quarter with meh iPhone sales and you'll be back on the get rid of Tim Cook bandwagon.
    StrangeDayssingularitywaverboyirelandlolliver
  • Reply 13 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    sog35 said:
    Love this move by Apple.

Its going to happen. PERIOD.  

Apple will make a massive push into content. MASSIVE.

How do I know?

"We will be doubling our Services revenue in the next 4 years....." Tim Cook

My shares of Apple are looking beautiful. Thanks Tim Cook! I did buy SNAP yesterday and QUICKLY sold it this morning for a small profit

nobody cares about your stocks man. you could be 12 for all we know. do not care.
    waverboyireland
  • Reply 14 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    frumious said:
    Wow. Just. Wow.

SERIOUS mission drift that will be gone in 5 years or less. What an embarrassingly suicidal waste of money and resources. Viewers are way, WAY too fickle to make this worthwhile. 
    How many fortune firms have you managed? This will help me weight your opinion accordingly.
    cali
  • Reply 15 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I said it years ago, if content owners don't wanna play with Apple they should create their own. 

Apple has the cash to create original content. 

sog35 said:
    frumious said:
    Wow. Just. Wow.

You do know that Apple has $250 BILLION in cash?

They can literally buy all the content and rights they desire. 

Starwars was sold for $4 billion.  Apple can literally buy 62 Starwars.  Apple makes about $50 billion in profit a year. They can buy 12 Starwars a FRIKEN YEAR!

You don't realize how earth shattering this can be if Apple wants to dominate content.

But they're not doing that. There's tons of IP Apple can purchase. Disney would be a better deal than Netflix. 

edited March 2017
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Interesting times no doubt. I wouldn't know what to do if I was in charge, which is why I am not! Original content is a dicey game...a lot of money with no return at times. I wonder about some kind of first look deal backed by tons of cash with anyone and everyone. But that's not feasible because of previous contracts I suppose. Buying studios seems so 1990's. I really have no idea what the 'right' move would be andI'm not 100% sure they NEED to own content.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:
    I think not buying Netflix was a huge missed opportunity. Although, I admit, I didn't have this foresight.

Now, I'm not sure creating their own is a great idea. Film/television/art needs to be very messy sometimes. It also sometimes needs to be very politically incorrect.

Sure, maybe buying Netflix 7 years ago would have been a great idea, but even then, I don't think it would have become the service it is today under Apple.  Netflix has grown to where it is buy focusing on growth and original content as soon as they could afford it, and getting onto every device in the world.  And ignoring profit along the way.  Do you think Apple would have done it that way?  Not likely.

Apple is a product company first and foremost.  Their services business as it exists today, with exception of Apple Music to a degree, is pulled along by the product.  Apple is not a services company, but they have a great services business.  So any new services should be thought about in that manner.

What about Apple Music, you say?  Good question.  I think that for Jobs, and then for Apple as a result, music was something more cultural that they felt they should be involved in with the advent of the iPod.  There was a problem to be solved there too.  That lead Apple into dominating (legal) online music sales for over a decade.  That helped grow the iPod business as well as the iPhone business in the early years.  Apple Music is a continuation of music business in the new paradigm.

I am not sure that "video" has as much culture impact as music does, at least as it pertains to influence in the product sphere.  There is a "ton" of new video content (movie, TV, indie) produced and consumed every year, but I don't think most of it is as influential as music.  The problem in video is not the same as in music.

That said, doing some original content with at least the goal to do something different (or have it consumed differently perhaps better to say), does keep Apple at the table and more involved.  Perhaps more able to shape how things go.  At that can be accomplished for much less than $90B it might take to buy Netflix today.
    I disagree.

Apple is most certainly a services business.  Last year they booked about $50 billion in gross services receipts. They have over 150 million subscriptions. 

And Tim Cook stated that the services business will DOUBLE in the next 4 years. That would be $100 billion in gross receipts. 

To put that in context = Google had $90 billion in 2016, Facebook $27 billion, Netflix $9 billion.

Besides iPhone, Services will be the biggest revenue stream by far.  In a few years it will be much bigger than Mac, iPad, etc
    You need to reread my post (if you read it at all).  Apple certainly has a very robust services business, that *flows from* their product business.  Services does not lead product.  That is the difference.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Seems a non-story. Apple meets with execs in Hollywood; plans something big. Oh look, there's a pair of curtains hanging from my wall—how interesting.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:

I disagree.

Apple is most certainly a services business.  Last year they booked about $50 billion in gross services receipts. They have over 150 million subscriptions. 

And Tim Cook stated that the services business will DOUBLE in the next 4 years. That would be $100 billion in gross receipts. 

To put that in context = Google had $90 billion in 2016, Facebook $27 billion, Netflix $9 billion.

Besides iPhone, Services will be the biggest revenue stream by far.  In a few years it will be much bigger than Mac, iPad, etc
    You need to reread my post (if you read it at all).  Apple certainly has a very robust services business, that *flows from* their product business.  Services does not lead product.  That is the difference.
    Don't be so sure.

One MAJOR reason people buy Apple hardware is because of the Apple ecosystem = Apple services.  Its a chicken and egg situation.  Why was the iPod such a great product? Great hardware, no doubt. But just as important or more important was iTunes and buying MP3s.

Same with iPhone. Great hardware. But don't underestimate the value of iCloud, iMessage, AppleMusic, App Store, iTunes, ect......and don't forget iOS itself is services. When you buy an iPhone you are paying for iOS in a round about way. Would an iPhone but an iPhone if it ran Android?

If Apple's services were CRAP, the hardware would not sell nearly as well as it is today.
    Not sure why, but I will try it one more time.  Of course Apple's ecosystem is a core part of the iPhone experience and its appeal to existing and new users.  The ecosystem is made up of Apple's own Apps, iCloud, App Store, iCloud, other services & content.  Only a portion of those "earn" direct revenue for Apple under the category of "Services".  

Very simply, without leading class products, Apple would not have a revenue generating services business.  The reverse is not true - Apple can have products without earning any services revenue.  Based on what we see at product releases and WWDC, Apple's priority focus is on designing the best products, which we see can then lead to services revenue.  Apple management doesn't sit around thinking about how they can independently grow the services business so products can start to take a back seat.

The day that Apple management start focusing more on services than on product is the day that Apple is doomed...
    entropys
  • Reply 20 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So glad I blocked him. Someone said he could be twelve for all they know. I wouldn't be so generous.
    edited March 2017