Google's second-gen Pixel due in 2017, will tackle Apple iPhone in 'premium' segment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    My co-worker bought a pixel when it came out, he used to have an iPhone, then a Galaxy S5. His Pixel lasted 1 month before it mysteriously stopped working just went dead. He has to wait 5 months for  replacement. I told him if that had happened to an iPhone he could have walked into an Apple store and replaced it the same day. His response " I just can't stand the limitations of iOS". Such is the way with these people. I tell you its impossible to reason with people like him. Its fun watching him burried in his Android interface for hours trying to do things I can do on my iPhone in seconds. Stupidity has no limits
    I couldn't agree more.  As for "Stupidity has no limits ..." That is certainly evident in abundance these days.
    watto_cobrabaconstangmagman1979
  • Reply 22 of 48
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Like nexus and pixel laptops, 2-3 years before retiring. 

Not it sure Android builders need inspiration for premium phones just a market for them. 
    calikiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,725member
    Good luck 2.0
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Will be interesting.  In the reviews I read for the original Pixel, while it was given good "overall" marks, the only standout features were Google Assistant and the camera (a few said better than iPhone 7, but not 7+).  Now that Google Assistant has been announced for some other Android vendors premium brands, what will be the draw of Pixel?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member

at least he didn't write that the google assistant would be the reason people choose the Pixel over IPhone....
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    "Riding off the success..."? Oh c'mon. Prove it. With even one iota of a data point. (No, the "1.3% market share" quoted in some shady article does not count, and even if it did, 1.3% is not "success").

Prediction: The second Pixel will be as DOA as the first one.
    I suspect sales were ok, and better than expectations.  Best Buy and other retailers, carriers said as much, and indicated they were seeing stock outs. Were sales anywhere near iPhone? Of course not. But they seem to have gotten some traction relative to past attempts. 
  • Reply 27 of 48
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    this has D.E.D article written all over it...ill be waiting
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 48
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:
    levi said:
    "Riding off the success..."? Oh c'mon. Prove it. With even one iota of a data point. (No, the "1.3% market share" quoted in some shady article does not count, and even if it did, 1.3% is not "success").

I suspect sales were ok, and better than expectations.  Best Buy and other retailers, carriers said as much, and indicated they were seeing stock outs. Were sales anywhere near iPhone? Of course not. But they seem to have gotten some traction relative to past attempts. 
    fake demand.

Google made very few phones and ship very few. To give the false impression it was a 'hot' seller.

I've yet to see a single Google phone in the wild. And i live in one of the most tech forward cities in the USA
    if we are going on anecdotal evidence I have seen a few, therefore it has been a roaring success!!!!
    frac
  • Reply 29 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    If I were any of the OEM, I'd just say frack you to Google and go their own merry way, what Google has done is pretty much a monopoly now.
    The OEM are essentially Google little bitch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    levi said:

fake demand.

Google made very few phones and ship very few. To give the false impression it was a 'hot' seller.

I've yet to see a single Google phone in the wild. And i live in one of the most tech forward cities in the USA
    if we are going on anecdotal evidence I have seen a few, therefore it has been a roaring success!!!!
    My anecdotal evidence just confirms what Google reports. If the G phone was such a great seller Google would have announced figures. But zip............SILENCE.
    Apple don't report watch numbers therefore it must be a flop according to your rational.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    sog35 said:
    levi said:

fake demand.

I haven't seen any either but I don't think it's fake demand just that initial orders have been stronger than expected, which of course is the official Google line. It does seem reasonable for a phone that some say might sell as many as 4 million units. Enough to make the project profitable.

I don't think Verizon would have spent millions pushing a phone they couldn't actually deliver if the demand were fake.

It seems this model was rushed to market and at launch there was already a prototype floating.around of the next version. That seems to indicate the next model will include what wasn't included this time around and maybe they will increase manufacturing capacity for a smoother roll out.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    :sigh: I'm glad they are going to build a better quality phone, but it's silly to present as being some upset to the iPhone when their Android-based devices have never had decent marketshare. How about Google first try to take a decent position amongst the higher-end Android-based devices that Samsung currently controls. After that I'd understand setting sights on trying to usurp the iPhone for best smartphone on the market.
    Isn't the AI article just the author's view that Google is trying to upstage the iPhone? I don't think Google has ever mentioned Apple as being a competitor, much less trying to build a better iPhone. They're trying to build one of the best ANDROID phones. But I suppose everyone in reality has to compete with it. 

EDIT: Just read the source article and I was correct. Not one mention of Apple or an iPhone. 
    Then maybe they should stop making iClones and stop running android. Maybe create something that isn't a cheap iPhone ripoff. Maybe if they stop using Apple and Steve Jobs' words on stage I would believe they aren't competing with Apple. 

Of course little jimmy wants to be in the NFL like his idol but he'll never be as good if all he does is copy his every move and never actually grows up. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    :sigh: I'm glad they are going to build a better quality phone, but it's silly to present as being some upset to the iPhone when their Android-based devices have never had decent marketshare. How about Google first try to take a decent position amongst the higher-end Android-based devices that Samsung currently controls. After that I'd understand setting sights on trying to usurp the iPhone for best smartphone on the market.
    Isn't the AI article just the author's view that Google is trying to upstage the iPhone? I don't think Google has ever mentioned Apple as being a competitor, much less trying to build a better iPhone. They're trying to build one of the best ANDROID phones. But I suppose everyone in reality has to compete with it. 

EDIT: Just read the source article and I was correct. Not one mention of Apple or an iPhone. 
    "They're trying to build one of the best ANDROID phones."

Good luck with that. Samsung is so far ahead of nearly all of the components manufacturers that Google would have access to, it's not even funny. And Apple is about to take all of Samsung's OLED manufacturing capacity that isn't reserved for Samsung itself. 

I would rather have a Samsung Z series phone than the Pixel. 

The Pixel was lucky to be released as the Note 7 was crashing and "burning." Samsung won't make the same mistake again. 

Samsung makes the best hardware in the Android space. Google's efforts are laughable. It's why Samsung is the biggest seller of Android phones. They will remain so for some time until they move off of Android and over to Tizen completely. At that time, Google might have a slightly better chance. Unless Huawei also ditches Android for Tizen. 

Check out this article:

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=206894

Samsung has already sold some 64 million Tizen based phones. And the Pixel?!? Maybe 3 million?

HTC cannot match Samsung and its who Google is using. 

Face it, Google is panicked over Samsung's plans to move off of Android. And they feel they need to advance their own hardware as a result. But the Pixel isn't anywhere near Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S8 and it's dependent on QCOM remaining competitive over the long term. Just waterproofing alone is reason to avoid the Pixel. 

For crying out loud, Samsung's smartwatches are far better than the knockoffs from LG and Huawei using Android wear. It was Samsung who came up with the idea of the rotating bezel, something that Google copied into Android wear, but LG and Huawei seem incapable of incorporating properly. 

The real interesting aspect is that Google faces a conundrum. They are competing with their own OEMs. It has bigtime potential for driving the manufacturers off of Android and over to another alternative. Tizen is open source and there is quite a market for Tizen based apps in India. It won't be long before that success spills over into other parts of Asia and the rest of the world. Unlike Google who is dependent on having the playstore and Google apps installed, Samsung doesn't need to do the same. They make money off of their hardware sales and can allow Tizen to be modified by other OEMs as they see fit. There will be some major defections occurring in the not too distant future from Android. 
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    sog35 said:
    brucemc said:
    Will be interesting.  In the reviews I read for the original Pixel, while it was given good "overall" marks, the only standout features were Google Assistant and the camera (a few said better than iPhone 7, but not 7+).  Now that Google Assistant has been announced for some other Android vendors premium brands, what will be the draw of Pixel?
    The draw is the 'G' on the back of the phone. 

Believe it or not there is a Google fanboy club.
    Sure.  That is a few M purchasers at the premium end I would say.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:

"Google is Doomed"
  • Reply 36 of 48
    tedp88tedp88 Posts: 20member
    I have both a 7Plus and a Pixel XL. If you are on the switcher fence or curious about Android - the Pixel is a nice device, period. No reason to be threatened by it. What I can't adjust to using Android are all the ads and general feel of the apps. As a long time iOS user and occasional switcher, I am comparing out of box experiences with stock set ups. The ads in Chrome and apps are the most jarring experience. I know you can do a system wide blocker but its nowhere as easy to implement as iOS. I read a lot of iPhone and Pixel comparisons and no one mentions this. Not sure why. The other two biggies that pull me back to iOS are the overall integration of platform across screens and privacy. IMO, iOS married to MacOS has more continuity than an Android <> Windows set up and if I am doing MacOS <> Android, why bother? The real advantage of paying for Apple stuff is the continuity / ecosystem. Re. privacy; With iOS I don't feel like I am being watched, mined, marketed to. I am sure its more in my head but just a feeling I can't shake when on Android. It's freaky how much of my internet breadcrumbs show up everywhere and what they "suggest" to me. In the last year it seems that the tech pundits have tried to present a scenario where Apple is slipping and others are catching up. I always keep an Android around as a spare device and occasional peek to on what the other team is up to. I look forward to what insight the Pixel 2 brings.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    You can not have a premium product with high quality and premium service to back it up. People are not going to pay top $ when they can not walk in to a store and have someone take care of you as the most important person who just walk in off the street. It is not all about the cost of the product. Google lacks all the infrastructure Apple has to offer a premium product to consumers.
    watto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 38 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    levi said:

fake demand.

I haven't seen any either but I don't think it's fake demand just that initial orders have been stronger than expected, which of course is the official Google line. It does seem reasonable for a phone that some say might sell as many as 4 million units. Enough to make the project profitable.

I don't think Verizon would have spent millions pushing a phone they couldn't actually deliver if the demand were fake.

It seems this model was rushed to market and at launch there was already a prototype floating.around of the next version. That seems to indicate the next model will include what wasn't included this time around and maybe they will increase manufacturing capacity for a smoother roll out.
    4 million phones?  That is weak demand. Compared to Samsung and especially Apple!

Ever LG, Xiaomi, Sony, Huewei, easy can sell 4 million phones at launch. This puts the Pixel at the 3rd tier of phone sellers. With dying brands like LG/Sony and cheap piece of shit China brands. 
    Yep. But that's why I say they were probably surprised by the demand. They didn't have massive expectations for it in the first place. Just good sales and make a profit off them. Later this year though, they might be pushing a stronger phone with far higher aspirations.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 810member
    It is rumor that Google is going all out to make better Pixel smartphone then the iPhone 8.  Apple has spend around $200 million in R&D developing the iPhone 8, Google has spend over $500,000.  Google just works smarter and saves the $150 million for doing other stuff! 
  • Reply 40 of 48
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    In other news, Goog has announced plans to rehash its failure Pixel Phone concept to instead borrow heavily from Apple's iPhone 6S, a huge increment in specs compared to last year's hopeful rehash of 2014's iPhone 6. Techbloggers the world over have jumped at the chance to generate a spike in page clicks, allowing them to pay the rent for a few more weeks. Although all gPhones permanently have 'beta' stamped on them, and pundits use any gProduct to bad-mouth the company which is the benchmark in innovation, customer satisfaction, product quality, and usability, Apple is pushing ahead with reality-altering hardware-software devices which simply beg to be touched, used, and displayed. With no comparable services, such as Apple Pay, Continuity, basic security and privacy, nor the demonstrated ability to release a product that reaches above 1% of market share - naturally with no profitability whatsoever - it has been said that the thirteenth attempt at the gPhone will be 'a huge success' that will be 'a million times better than anything Apple currently has' (commenter chose to remain anonymous). Notably, almost no-one of any significance has pointed out the flaws in Goog's black roadmap, transparency, lack of customer services, or hardware profitability. Let's hope gPh13 is a hit, folks!
    watto_cobrabaconstang