Apple's latest iPad Pro ads focus on notetaking, decluttering desks

Posted:
in iPad
Apple on Friday released yet another two videos in its ongoing ad campaign for the iPad Pro, using Twitter posts as a springboard to sell different features of the tablet.

The first of the ads, "Take better notes," claims that the iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil have "revolutionized the way we take notes," mainly using the example of someone annotating images in an anatomy class. Apple also points out that some apps can record lecture audio as a backup.

The second spot, "Need less stuff," claims that an iPad can replace a "scanner, pad of paper, and laptop" for people worried about having too many things on their desk.

As with earlier ads, both of the videos are only 15 seconds long, and meant for social media rather than TV. Apple is reportedly shifting some marketing focus away from TV in favor of digital media.

The company is thought be less than a month away from announcing new iPad models, making the timing of the current campaign odd. Three new iPads may be revealed, including a 10.5-inch tablet, an updated 12.9-inch model, and a "budget" 9.7-inch option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    LOL a 99 cent notepad is my choice
    brucemc
  • Reply 2 of 39
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    Disclaimer - I'm a spoiled executive who has had the chance to play with all the shiny new gadgets be they Windows, Apple or Google.  I am also "old school" and I prefer to take my notes in a written fashion.  I strayed away from Apple for the larger format & stylus of the Galaxy Note series. I absolutely loved the Galaxy Note 12.2. For all of my executive years, I have struggle with the a simply question - do I need a full OS anymore (aka Windows or MacOS).  Since the iPad Pro 12 came out, I have pretty much stopped using anything other than my iMac 5k.  I have a Surface Book and I have a 15" maxed out 2015 MacBook Pro.  But the iPad Pro 12.9 is the only device I really use when I'm outside of my office any more.  Great screen size (reminds me of a legal pad), light weight, slender form factor, great battery life, built in LTE, I keep a magic keyboard hidden in the briefcase is I have to pound out a longer email or actually work on a document or presentation, and last but not least the pencil.

I just don't need anything more that what the iPad Pro is able to do. 100% satisfied with the product and looking forward to the refresh hopefully this month. 
    bb-15adamcStrangeDayswatto_cobraxzujony0
  • Reply 3 of 39
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Has anyone found a good app that can convert text written with an Apple Pencil into typed text?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    techridertechrider Posts: 101member
    What app was being featured in the first ad?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Great spots. Love the one with the puppet
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 39
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    dachar said:
    Has anyone found a good app that can convert text written with an Apple Pencil into typed text?
    All I've heard of is Notes Plus.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    From how few comments there, it looks like people aren't that excited or impressed with with Apple Pensil or the IPad Pro.

I own the IPad Pro 9.7 and pencil and while I think there is a niche for it, it's not a "killer app" that's going to suddenly drive IPad sales.  The problem is, at the price point they're trying to sell it at, an Apple laptop would be more effective for 99% of the potential buyers.

Personally, I can type 2x (+) over my writing (pen) speed.  So, while an IPad pencil might be great for artists and people taking notes in a college lecture hall, everywhere else it's terribly inefficient.

Apple needs to give up on their post-pc vision for everything and give people what they want, a $800 laptop bult with Apple quality perhaps running an Ax chip with built in 4G/5G wireless running either an expanded OS X (with a proper file system, etc) or a hardened MacOS with all apps coming from the App Store (for security) and sand boxing anything needing custom programming (I.e. for a C++ class college classes).

Nothing can beat the flexibility of a PC...

I'll continue to be an IPad buyer, and the IPhone is a great product, but the two products aren't the answer for everything.  I'm not going to spend $1500 to get a decent laptop, when a serviceable $500 Windows PC will get the job done.  If Apple made an $800 laptop I'd never touch Windows again.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    From how few comments there, it looks like people aren't that excited or impressed with with Apple Pensil or the IPad Pro.

I own the IPad Pro 9.7 and pencil and while I think there is a niche for it, it's not a "killer app" that's going to suddenly drive IPad sales.  The problem is, at the price point they're trying to sell it at, an Apple laptop would be more effective for 99% of the potential buyers.

Personally, I can type 2x (+) over my writing (pen) speed.  So, while an IPad pencil might be great for artists and people taking notes in a college lecture hall, everywhere else it's terribly inefficient.

Apple needs to give up on their post-pc vision for everything and give people what they want, a $800 laptop bult with Apple quality perhaps running an Ax chip with built in 4G/5G wireless running either an expanded OS X (with a proper file system, etc) or a hardened MacOS with all apps coming from the App Store (for security) and sand boxing anything needing custom programming (I.e. for a C++ class college classes).

I'll continue to be an IPad buyer, and the IPhone is a great product, but the two products aren't the answer for everything.  I'm not going to spend $1500 to get a decent laptop, when a serviceable $500 Windows PC will get the job done.  If Apple made an $800 laptop I'd never touch Windows again.
    The laptop format is great for some things.  The tablet format is great for other things.

Rather than build a cheap laptop, they should simply install a touchpad in the IPad Pro's keyboard -- and then you have the best of both worlds.

But I certainly agree with your point that it is hard to justify $1,500 for a laptop when a $500 Windows laptop meets your needs.  I suppose if you're a professional with a particular need for that $1,500 laptop it would be different.  But, most people don't buy a Porsche just to go to the grocery store.  A few do.   But not many.

But, a $1,000 IPad that can function well in laptop mode when attached to its keyboard/trackpad would satisfy both the functional and the pricing requirement for most people.  
  • Reply 9 of 39
    I like these ads...
    They show how the product will make your life better rather than trying to show off some glitzy new feature.

I think Apple learned from its Watch fiasco -- when they tried to market it as glitzy fashion accessory it didn't do very well.  But, when they shifted its focus to health and fitness it took off.   Yes, the media only saw the GPS feature -- but the key was that people could see how it could help them achieve their goals and sales took off.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    dougd said:
    LOL a 99 cent notepad is my choice
    How do you paste that into an email, or sync it to your networked notes folder?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 39

Ah, another "Apple needs to..." post which really means "I want this..." Just buy a notebook. And no, Apple won't ever make $500 netbooks.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 39

The laptop format is great for some things.  The tablet format is great for other things.

Rather than build a cheap laptop, they should simply install a touchpad in the IPad Pro's keyboard -- and then you have the best of both worlds.

But I certainly agree with your point that it is hard to justify $1,500 for a laptop when a $500 Windows laptop meets your needs.  I suppose if you're a professional with a particular need for that $1,500 laptop it would be different.  But, most people don't buy a Porsche just to go to the grocery store.  A few do.   But not many.

But, a $1,000 IPad that can function well in laptop mode when attached to its keyboard/trackpad would satisfy both the functional and the pricing requirement for most people.  
    You're completely overlooking TCO -- in my experience Windows notebooks are often a PITA. I've had family members ask me what to get, ignore it and get a cheap Windows machine, and call me frustrated and needing help with all the random ways Windows sucks, or failing/flaky hardware (thinking wifi adapter). Eventually ditching the machine and repeating the process. 

You get what you pay for. 
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 39
    wolfboywolfboy Posts: 2member
    vukasika said:
    Disclaimer - I'm a spoiled executive who has had the chance to play with all the shiny new gadgets be they Windows, Apple or Google.  I am also "old school" and I prefer to take my notes in a written fashion.  I strayed away from Apple for the larger format & stylus of the Galaxy Note series. I absolutely loved the Galaxy Note 12.2. For all of my executive years, I have struggle with the a simply question - do I need a full OS anymore (aka Windows or MacOS).  Since the iPad Pro 12 came out, I have pretty much stopped using anything other than my iMac 5k.  I have a Surface Book and I have a 15" maxed out 2015 MacBook Pro.  But the iPad Pro 12.9 is the only device I really use when I'm outside of my office any more.  Great screen size (reminds me of a legal pad), light weight, slender form factor, great battery life, built in LTE, I keep a magic keyboard hidden in the briefcase is I have to pound out a longer email or actually work on a document or presentation, and last but not least the pencil.

I just don't need anything more that what the iPad Pro is able to do. 100% satisfied with the product and looking forward to the refresh hopefully this month. 
    I agree if you have a dedicated desktop, but for me I went with the Macbook (12 inch) because it can run a full OS and felt less bulky/lighter to carry around than the iPad Pro 12.9 with the type cover.  If the 12.9 iPad could run full OS a la the Surface Pro, I would go back in a heartbeat, but I sold my iPad Pro 12.9 and just went with the Macbook. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 39

Ah, another "Apple needs to..." post which really means "I want this..." Just buy a notebook. And no, Apple won't ever make $500 netbooks.
    The snark is unnecessary. Seanismorris makes a good point (minus the netbook comment). Although Apple does make an $800 laptop - the Macbook Air 13 (often on sale at Best Buy for that much or even less $750 at times). I left Windows with the trainwreck that was Vista and haven't looked back - UNTIL the Surface Pro came out.  IMO, it's the perfect device - software aside. If it wasn't for Windows 10 data mining I would have already jumped.  I am really curious to see what Samsung is doing with the newly unveiled Galaxy Book line.  I'd pay iPad Pro 12.9 premium (ESPECIALLY with LTE) is it was a full OS. Hell, even make two versions of the Pro (iOS and full OS) 
  • Reply 15 of 39
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    wolfboy said:

The snark is unnecessary. Seanismorris makes a good point (minus the netbook comment). Although Apple does make an $800 laptop - the Macbook Air 13 (often on sale at Best Buy for that much or even less $750 at times). I left Windows with the trainwreck that was Vista and haven't looked back - UNTIL the Surface Pro came out.  IMO, it's the perfect device - software aside. If it wasn't for Windows 10 data mining I would have already jumped.  I am really curious to see what Samsung is doing with the newly unveiled Galaxy Book line.  I'd pay iPad Pro 12.9 premium (ESPECIALLY with LTE) is it was a full OS. Hell, even make two versions of the Pro (iOS and full OS) 
    Huh! Perfect device except for the software!!! What! The tight integration of SW - HW is the whole point of Apple.
    And I've used it, it is in NO WAY, a perfect device at all !! Man.
    cornchipStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

The company is thought be less than a month away from announcing new iPad models, making the timing of the current campaign odd.
    I have to suspect Apple knows precisely what they're up to. Probably stats like time between ad campaign run & purchasing tell them that running ads so far before releasing new products is ideal. Even if a few people run out & buy an iPad the day they see the ad in the month or so before new ones come out what do they care?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

It's a mistake to think the few data points here or any supposed lack of them are representative of— anything outside of this forum. Actual interest or supposed lack of it will be measured in sales. 

Personally, I can type 2x (+) over my writing (pen) speed.  So, while an IPad pencil might be great for artists and people taking notes in a college lecture hall, everywhere else it's terribly inefficient...
    The right tool for the right job. Perspective is important. Many people do a LOT of typing on an iPad with and without an accessory keyboard. They also see the light weight and compact size a plus when an external keyboard won't be needed. So they can type on an iPad when needed and use its other features to their advantage.

Any yet that sentiment is totally irrelevant to people who don't need all that flexibility. I personally know several people who own iPads and iPhones who don't need the flexibility of a personal computer. Nearly everyone I know who has a computer has an iPad and a iPhone. There are a couple of Window folk but they too have some kind of tablet and phone. Not a lot of data points, but I think there are far more than you give credit for. But they all have a tablet and a phone. Because a PC isn't the answer to everything.

The 'millennials' and post generations will use laptops and possibly desktops less and less. Even if those computers were the answer to everything, not everyone needs or wants all those answers. The right tool for the right job(s).

I'll be getting a iPad Pro and Pencil this year— the 9.7" or 7.9" (if there is one) or the 9.7" if there's no Mini Pro. A PC is lousy at knocking out a quick sketch of  a construction or circuit project, or jotting down and taking some notes, and making annotations, especially if there's no desk around. 

A 99¢ papar pad will work and is cheaper than a PC or iPad. But then there's the crumpled up balls of paper in the waste basket. And holding up that paper pad to a webcam isn't an efficient way of sharing. The paper pad is lousy at taking dictation. Or a picture. Or audio recording.

An iPad may have limited utility for you. It may because it absolutely won't do anything that you don't already use it for, or you may not fully understand the range of flexibility of what you have. In either event, projecting your observations as universal truths just isn't accurate for anybody but you, or those who think just like you. That's far from universal. 
    cornchippscooter63StrangeDaysbrucemc
  • Reply 18 of 39

You're completely overlooking TCO -- in my experience Windows notebooks are often a PITA. I've had family members ask me what to get, ignore it and get a cheap Windows machine, and call me frustrated and needing help with all the random ways Windows sucks, or failing/flaky hardware (thinking wifi adapter). Eventually ditching the machine and repeating the process. 

You get what you pay for. 
    Most of the world disagrees with you...  
    You're right that Windows notebooks are not on par with Mac notebooks.   But then, neither is a Chevy on par with a Mercedes.  But, they'll get you to the grocery store.
    cornchipbrucemc
  • Reply 19 of 39
    foggyhill said:
    wolfboy said:

Huh! Perfect device except for the software!!! What! The tight integration of SW - HW is the whole point of Apple.
    He's right, it makes little sense to bill the IPad Pro as a pro but then give it toned down OS essentially meant for a phone.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    foggyhill said:
    wolfboy said:

Point taken, I meant in terms of hardware and should have specifically said that.