Apple Watch saw 'best quarter ever' with 4.6M units during holidays, estimate claims

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Xiaomi are no1 in the multipurpose smart watch arena? That's news to me, I thought Apple dominated in that space!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    supadav03 said:
    I'd love to know the ASP of the Xiaomi wearables. With the way android wear devices get left behind on updates (kinda like its phone brethren) I'd never buy one. Just read recently about a bunch of LG & Sony watches not getting the newest version. Why throw your money away? I bought an Apple Watch and it's been awesome. New Watch OS has improved it greatly and I could likely wait until physical Watch version 3.0 before updating. 
    The Xiaomi wearables don't run or rely on android, it's a basic bluetooth step counter with heart-rate monitor on the later models. I've got a miband 1S and it cost the grand total of £9.40 delivered to the UK, I've got 7 different bands which cost less than 50p each too. It shouldn't even be considered in the same category as Apple Watch, it's not a competing product, it's not "smart" in the slightest. It's an advanced version of the step counters they used to give away in boxes of cereal etc.
    I'm not serious about fitness, I just like to know roughly my steps daily and check my HR from time to time. The sleep tracking is what I use it for most.

edit* I used to do these things on my iPhone but it didn't suit my daily routine.
    step counting - I often leave my phone on my desk during the day
    heart rate - Cardiio app did well but it was cumbersome having to hold my finger over the camera each time.
    sleep tracking - I often forget to start Sleep Cycle app at night
    spend a tenner on a band that lasts a month in between charges and does all I need is money well spent in my book.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 23 of 32
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    thedba said:
    sog35 said:
    Same thing with shit fake news outlets like Forbes. Buy Forbes and fire all those shitty writers.
    Then who would the Macalope make fun of?
    Rob Enderle.

Too easy, I'll grant you.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    anome said:
    bluefire1 said:
    There's the Apple Watch and there's all the rest.
    Nuff said.
    I own the original and am awaiting AW3 this fall, especially if it has LTE.
    LTE's tricky, as it currently requires a SIM, which means putting a slot, tray, and the little eject hole somewhere in the watch. That takes space in a device that's already pretty full, and also may compromise the water resistance. I don't think Apple will put LTE (or successor technologies) in the Apple Watch until they can get the carriers to accept the virtual SIM. IE a SIM without the card (as opposed to the current Apple SIM which is a programmable SIM card). They hold the patents on that idea, or they did, but they didn't seem to be having any luck getting the carriers on board. The carriers might be more inclined if it was opening up a new market, such as the Apple Watch.
    You mean like the AppleSIM technology Apple already embeds in some of their devices?

Seems like they've already solved this problem.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/apple-sim/
    edited March 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mac_128 said:
    anome said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Nuff said.
    LTE's tricky, as it currently requires a SIM, which means putting a slot, tray, and the little eject hole somewhere in the watch. That takes space in a device that's already pretty full, and also may compromise the water resistance. I don't think Apple will put LTE (or successor technologies) in the Apple Watch until they can get the carriers to accept the virtual SIM. IE a SIM without the card (as opposed to the current Apple SIM which is a programmable SIM card). They hold the patents on that idea, or they did, but they didn't seem to be having any luck getting the carriers on board. The carriers might be more inclined if it was opening up a new market, such as the Apple Watch.
    You mean like the AppleSIM technology Apple already embeds in some of their devices?

No, I mentioned that, AppleSIM is still a SIM card. (I have two of them somewhere, that it turned out I couldn't actually use.) Apple also had a patent for replacing the card with a hard wired chip in the phone, which I don't believe they are currently selling in anything.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    anome said:
    mac_128 said:
    anome said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Nuff said.

No, I mentioned that, AppleSIM is still a SIM card. (I have two of them somewhere, that it turned out I couldn't actually use.) Apple also had a patent for replacing the card with a hard wired chip in the phone, which I don't believe they are currently selling in anything.
    But the they have a SIM card embedded in some hardware. That's the point I'm making. It may not work with every carrier, but the point is it's there and doesn't require a sim tray.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203099

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/22/apple-makes-the-move-to-embedded-sim-card-with-97-ipad-pro

So that problem is solved, whether it happens to work for you or not. I'd be thrilled to buy such a watch even with the limited SIM partners Apple currently has.
    edited March 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    sog35 said:
    Why are we comparing $10 piece of shit Xiaomi crap to $200 Apple Watches?
    Agreed and I'd add as an investor, where is the profit column?  Who in their right mind gives a shit about volume or market share?
  • Reply 28 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Love my apple watch
    You and my wife both.  I may cave one day. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    mac_128 said:
    anome said:
    mac_128 said:
    anome said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Nuff said.

But the they have a SIM card embedded in some hardware. That's the point I'm making. It may not work with every carrier, but the point is it's there and doesn't require a sim tray.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203099

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/22/apple-makes-the-move-to-embedded-sim-card-with-97-ipad-pro

So that problem is solved, whether it happens to work for you or not. I'd be thrilled to buy such a watch even with the limited SIM partners Apple currently has.

I wasn't aware that they had it in a shipping product. However, at the risk of sounding like a nay-sayer, I don't think they have the buy-in from carriers that they would need to sell an LTE enabled product without a SIM slot. It may be that they will be able to push carriers towards this with an updated Apple Watch.

• Reply 30 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MacPro said:
    sog35 said:
    Why are we comparing $10 piece of shit Xiaomi crap to $200 Apple Watches?
    Agreed and I'd add as an investor, where is the profit column?  Who in their right mind gives a shit about volume or market share?
    Every company that makes mass appeal products. Apple certainly cares, as they mention it every time it looks good. There's this myth that it doesn't matter, but it does.

different industries look at it differently. The old car metaphors works here. If an expensive car used different fuel than every other car, people wouldn't buy it, because they couldn't go anywhere. Computing equipment has fuel too, and it's called software and services. If marketshare drops too much, you see less of it for your product, which causes sales to drop more, etc.  It's a vicious cycle. If you're selling a premium product, and you have enough marketshare, though not a large portion, and you sell to those who buy a lot of software and services, you'll do fine. But there are cutoff points for everything.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 31 of 32
    I have got mine just last month and it's perfect, its competitors are great in designing 3d renders but in terms of quality of materials there is no battle.