Amazon begins selling iPhone 6 with 32GB storage in India

Posted:
in General Discussion
A version of the iPhone 6 that includes 32 gigabytes of storage has resurfaced in another country, with Amazon exclusively selling the smartphone in India from Monday, following similar sales in China and Taiwan offering the device with the new storage capacity.

Amazon's regional store is advertising the 32-gigabyte iPhone 6 on the front page, along with a two-day deal that ends on March 7. Customers are able to acquire it for Rs 28,999 ($435), discounted from Rs 30,700 ($460) though it can be reduced further with an exchange of an old smartphone, with free delivery also available.

The offer price also makes the 32-gigabyte model cheaper than the 16-gigabyte variant also on sale from the online store, at Rs 29,799 ($447). Unlike the lower capacity version, the 32-gigabyte iPhone 6 is only being offered in Space Grey, with no other color options available for that capacity.

It appears that the iPhones being sold are brand new, and not refurbished devices. Last month it was reported Apple was hoping to push the government to allow it to import and sell refurbished iPhones in the country, as a condition for the company to start manufacturing iPhones locally.

The sale of a 32-gigabyte model of iPhone 6 arrives in India shortly after Taiwan Mobile started offering pre-orders of a Gold version online and in-store, with a release date in Taiwan slated for March 10. In mid-February, it was made available in China with the same storage capacity.

It appears that there is a level of exclusivity for the 32-gigabyte iPhone 6's availability, with only one retailer or carrier in each country offering it for sale. This exclusivity also extends to Apple's own sales, with no sign of this version of the iPhone 6 being marketed at all through Apple's regional sites.

The iPhone 6 was discontinued in September 2016, as part of the iPhone 7 launch. The iPhone SE became the entry-level iPhone at that time, while the previous generation iPhone 6s and 6s Plus became mid-tier devices.

Apple has previously offered the iPhone 6 with 16-, 64-, and 128-gigabyte capacities, but the 32-gigabyte model has only been made available recently as part of these regionally-exclusive sales. Considering the range of iPhones currently available, it is unlikely Apple will be bringing the 32-gigabyte variant to Western markets in the near future, if at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    This is great approach by Apple to milk iPhone 6 cow in area of world where price matters the most.Hope, Apple limits inside iPhone 6 it's carrier frequencies for that region so it doesn't migrate to rest of the world where Apple sells lots of it's premium 6S, 7 phones. Samsung cripples LTE bands to and make carrier specific SKUs so it doesn't have to pay full royalty to Qualcomm like Apple does. Customers don't know but Samsung's Galaxy phones are not true World phones like iPhone. Way to find is compare their unlock or specific SKU's LTE bands inside.
    edited March 2017 jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    sog35 said:
    another genius move by our Protector Lord Tim Cook
    What is wrong with you??
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Wow, that would have been a sale of 2 devices for Apple, but I just bought droids for the kids to replace the iPhone 5's. There is so many nice phones out there but however you look at it the 16 GB iPhone 6 just lost out to the competition...

• Reply 4 of 10
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    What is wrong with you??
    Nothing at all.

Just another example of Tim Cook focusing on the next region of growth = India

After that it will be South East Asia, South American, Middle America, then Africa. Tim Cook is just killing it.
    It's just hard to tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Apple won't be "killing it" in any of those countries. Alphabet will make sure of that with $50 Android smartphones being the norm in all those countries you're mentioning. There are mostly bottom feeder consumers in those countries and Apple will be lucky to get 5% market share percentage in any one of those poorer nations. Mind you, I don't think Apple should lower their iPhone prices but those countries are definitely out of Apple's reach no matter what. There's no argument or marketing strategy that would work to sell iPhones in those countries. It's basically a matter of affordability or should I say non-affordability of iPhones. A year's wages should definitely not be used to buy an iPhone. Even as an Apple shareholder, I can easily accept that fact.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    What is wrong with you??
    Nothing at all.

After that it will be South East Asia, South American, Middle America, then Africa. Tim Cook is just killing it.
    May be best to read your comments several times before submitting. If Apple could figure out strategy to make revenue in those regions, I would say go for it and Iphone 6 32GB may be good example of such approach.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    What is wrong with you??
    Nothing at all.

So the only way to grow in emerging markets is to offer a nearly 3 year old phone? Apple could have been on to something with the 5C if they had priced it more like the SE. It was a well built phone that didn't feel plasticy or cheap at all. And they could have kept it fresh with new internals and color updates. I'd much rather have Apple design a specific budget friendly phone that's unique, not just recycle a 3 year old phone that used to be the flagship. I'll bet the biggest reason the 5C flopped was price, not design.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It seems there is a ton of Apple surplus phones are in the wild. The value IPhone once had is no more; no more or less than a piece of plastic in a box.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    What is wrong with you??
    Nothing at all.

So the only way to grow in emerging markets is to offer a nearly 3 year old phone? Apple could have been on to something with the 5C if they had priced it more like the SE. It was a well built phone that didn't feel plasticy or cheap at all. And they could have kept it fresh with new internals and color updates. I'd much rather have Apple design a specific budget friendly phone that's unique, not just recycle a 3 year old phone that used to be the flagship. I'll bet the biggest reason the 5C flopped was price, not design.
    I suspect that there are significant cost advantages to re-marketing an existing product.   Because, design or retooling costs are eliminated.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    What is wrong with you??
    Nothing at all.

I suspect that there are significant cost advantages to re-marketing an existing product.   Because, design or retooling costs are eliminated.
    Aside from market analysis likely having revealed that the most promising market in that particular region was probably in larger phones.