How Google's lack of human curation spreads and monetizes fake news

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    I left Google search some time ago. The results they provide have seriously declined. It is all based on how best to monetize their search results. I have stopped using them. 

Bing is now the better engine. Ever since Apple used Bing for Siri results and Amazon the same for Alexa, Bing has made substantial improvement. Copying Google is a bad policy and it seems that MSFT has found more confidence in going in a different direction. 

Several years ago, I would type the name of a professional into Google. The name and address were always at the top of the search results. It is no longer the case. Type the name into Bing, and the results are given the way Google used to do. So when I type the name of a physician or dentist, I get the answer from Bing immediately whereas in Google, I get to wade through a bunch of physician ratings firms to find the information. Wasting much more of my time. 

Needless to say, I have the Bing app on my iPhone. I don't use anything from Google on the phone. If I need an occasional YouTube video I will use the desktop. I would rather use another service, but the how to and repair videos are always on YouTube. 

I have an Echo after Woz rated it highly. I have no plans to ever buy Google Home. Not tempted even in the slightest. 
  • Reply 22 of 51
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I too have been noticing google has been presenting outdated information at the top. Because of this I have been looking at the date of the publish information before I click on the link google presents. There has been a number of times when I searched for a piece of information which I knew to be updated and new and Google only showed the oldest information, I had to play with the search information to finally get google to show what I was specially looking for. I know most people can not be bother and they just look at the very first thing and take it all as fact.

Part of the issue is the fact google present possible search strings base on what others have searched on, when you use those search strings they present you, you get the wrong or outdated information. I believe those who want their information to be move to the top, most likely are running Bots on googles website which repeatedly search for the same types of information and Google captures the search strings and then presents it to others. This is the issue with the automatic systems (or AI systems) google comes up with, people figure out what they are doing then use their system against them.

People have to start thinking for themselves and not let google and facebook tell them what they should think.

• Reply 23 of 51
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Typical DED, trying to claim Sweden doesn't have issues. 

Him writing an article about fake news is the ultimate irony. 
    I have family in Sweden, been going there once or twice per year some 30 plus years. The biggest complaint I have heard from Swedes is in regards to housing the immigrants, where to put them all. Some smaller township are less prepared in the way of actual housing and expenses. Sweden has taken in refugees since years just after WW2 where many Italians moved there to seek employment. Sweden has many programs to assimilate refugees which include language classes and work programs. My friends and family are most concerned about the rise of Neo-Nazi gangs in southern Sweden, the refugees they are prepared for not the hate groups. 
    singularityDanielEran
  • Reply 24 of 51
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    flaneur said:
    Typical DED, trying to claim Sweden doesn't have issues. 

Him writing an article about fake news is the ultimate irony. 
    Where does he claim "Sweden doesn't have issues"?
     yeah I was wondering about that too. I'm guessing he just made it up.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I left Google search some time ago. The results they provide have seriously declined. It is all based on how best to monetize their search results. I have stopped using them. 

Bing is now the better engine. Ever since Apple used Bing for Siri results and Amazon the same for Alexa, Bing has made substantial improvement. Copying Google is a bad policy and it seems that MSFT has found more confidence in going in a different direction. 

Several years ago, I would type the name of a professional into Google. The name and address were always at the top of the search results. It is no longer the case. Type the name into Bing, and the results are given the way Google used to do. So when I type the name of a physician or dentist, I get the answer from Bing immediately whereas in Google, I get to wade through a bunch of physician ratings firms to find the information. Wasting much more of my time. 

Needless to say, I have the Bing app on my iPhone. I don't use anything from Google on the phone. If I need an occasional YouTube video I will use the desktop. I would rather use another service, but the how to and repair videos are always on YouTube. 

I have an Echo after Woz rated it highly. I have no plans to ever buy Google Home. Not tempted even in the slightest. 

Have notice the same things and I too have been using Bing even though I hate MS. But Google results are junk these days and most people have no clue that Google is pushing them to site they want you to see not what is of value to you. Google use to have a very good balance, but today they are so dependent on ad revenue they need to generate more click more clicks every day otherwise Wall street will tank them.

Case and point there was some guy who was in fact creating fake news and told everyone after the fact it was him and it was all designed to get people to go to his website and he use Google to drive people to his website. During the elections last year he was making thousands everday on fake news there was so much traffic to his website it was worth millions. Then the whole crack down on fake new stuff and now his website is worthless. He said he wish he sold the domain before the elections were over since he would have made millions selling the domain just for the web traffic alone google was pushing his way. Google AI algorithms are only so good until people figure out how it works and then use it to their benefits. Google has no clue until someone points out to them like the whole Fake news stuff they happen last year.

• Reply 26 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Be careful what you wish for folks. Wouldn't take much to "prove" AppleInsider is a so-called "fake news" source and therefore blocked or banned by Google, Facebook or other sites.

Part of living in a free society includes taking personal responsibility to determine which sources are credible. Take away this ability to compare and contrast views and you end up with "single party rule" (aka democracy).
    edited March 2017 tallest skilgatorguy
  • Reply 27 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    …taking personal responsibility…
    But that’s hard. Can’t the government do it for me?
    xixouniscape
  • Reply 28 of 51
    …taking personal responsibility…
    But that’s hard. Can’t the government do it for me?
    LOL!
    xixo
  • Reply 29 of 51
    DanielEranDanielEran Posts: 290editor
    Be careful what you wish for folks. Wouldn't take much to "prove" AppleInsider is a so-called "fake news" source and therefore blocked or banned by Google, Facebook or other sites.

Part of living in a free society includes taking personal responsibility to determine which sources are credible. Take away this ability to compare and contrast views and you end up with "single party rule" (aka democracy).
    ironically, its this massively promoted fake news that has given the US three branches of government answering lockstep to a single party, one that works to suppress votes and gerrymanders districts so that one incumbent party picks its voters, rather than voters picking their representation.

And every time this party takes over, they spend $4T on illegal wars that endanger the world and nation. Last time they upgraded a minor dictator's government into a terrorist organization, creating a new perpetual sinkhole of money and lives to contain it. 
    spice-boy
  • Reply 30 of 51
    maestro64 said:

I too have been noticing google has been presenting outdated information at the top. Because of this I have been looking at the date of the publish information before I click on the link google presents. There has been a number of times when I searched for a piece of information which I knew to be updated and new and Google only showed the oldest information, I had to play with the search information to finally get google to show what I was specially looking for. I know most people can not be bother and they just look at the very first thing and take it all as fact.

Part of the issue is the fact google present possible search strings base on what others have searched on, when you use those search strings they present you, you get the wrong or outdated information. I believe those who want their information to be move to the top, most likely are running Bots on googles website which repeatedly search for the same types of information and Google captures the search strings and then presents it to others. This is the issue with the automatic systems (or AI systems) google comes up with, people figure out what they are doing then use their system against them.

People have to start thinking for themselves and not let google and facebook tell them what they should think.

At issue is the fact that Home recites off this garbage without context, or without showing alternative sources. If you recall, Home and Assistant are suppose to be showing off how incredible Google's artificial intelligence is and how far ahead of Apple the company's services are. 
    spice-boy
  • Reply 31 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    one that works to suppress votes
    Hmm…

And every time this party takes over, they spend $4T on illegal wars
    Oh! You mean the Democrats. Sorry, my mistake.
    edited March 2017 SpamSandwichxixo
  • Reply 32 of 51
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    a couple of centuries ago, they used to call it 'yellow journalism'. then, 'news'. now, 'fake news'.

one of these days, people will figure out that all news reporting has an agenda, and it is not altruistic.
    SpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 33 of 51

ironically, its this massively promoted fake news that has given the US three branches of government answering lockstep to a single party, one that works to suppress votes and gerrymanders districts so that one incumbent party picks its voters, rather than voters picking their representation.

And every time this party takes over, they spend $4T on illegal wars that endanger the world and nation. Last time they upgraded a minor dictator's government into a terrorist organization, creating a new perpetual sinkhole of money and lives to contain it. 
    Both of the majority parties are an ongoing threat to our Constitution simply because (as I've said before and will say again) all individuals are self-interested. If there is no counterbalancing force involved, corruption, self-dealing, collusion, etc. is guaranteed.
    tallest skilxixo
  • Reply 34 of 51
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    georgie01 said:
    Not sure what the reasoning is behind the current concern over fake news. Fake news is nothing new. Any bias news report is fake news because it's misleading, and rarely is there an unbiased news report. News outlets don't even always know they're doing it because they're writing for a predetermined narrative or belief and using selective 'facts' or a specific perspective on facts to justify it.

The current concern over 'fake' news is probably more a concern over immature or blatant fake news, as if professional and respectable fake news is somehow better.

Wouldn't it be great if news outlets actually wrote genuinely unbiased news?
    Maybe we should have viewer-interactive real-time news ratings -- line those Frank Luntz graphics...

edited March 2017
  • Reply 35 of 51
    georgie01 said:
    Not sure what the reasoning is behind the current concern over fake news. Fake news is nothing new. Any bias news report is fake news because it's misleading, and rarely is there an unbiased news report. News outlets don't even always know they're doing it because they're writing for a predetermined narrative or belief and using selective 'facts' or a specific perspective on facts to justify it.

The current concern over 'fake' news is probably more a concern over immature or blatant fake news, as if professional and respectable fake news is somehow better.

Wouldn't it be great if news outlets actually wrote genuinely unbiased news?
    Maybe we should have viewer-interactive real-time news ratings -- line those Frank Luntz graphics...

So the little "Feedback Meter" oscillates between "Love It" to "B.S.!"
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 36 of 51
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    spice-boy said:

While the World Wide Web has become the greatest marketplace of ideas in human history, it is also one of the primary transmitters of propaganda. The growth of the Web and new technologies has created serious challenges, generating debate about how to counter the spread of dangerous propaganda and incitements to hatred without endangering civil liberties. 

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly...

• Reply 37 of 51

Tell me, is it painful being so completely deluded?
    SpamSandwichgatorguyxixo
  • Reply 38 of 51
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    YouTube is not a news outlet and I don't think they should get into Censorship.

Liberals should stand up for freedom.

Not engage in violent counter protest 
    if you don't like a trump supporter
    Like Milo - hers just a ass and a fool who should be ignored.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Hmm…

I had to show my drivers license to vote this year and I live in the gayest part of the most liberal county (all run by democrats) of the South 
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Hmm…

Voter ID laws are one tool to suppress citizens' right to vote, but there are many others. Ask the KKK/AG Sessions. He built his career around voter segregation.

And yes I am aware that Conservatives voted against entering WWII. Many were infatuated with the Nazis, wanted to do business with them or join them in white supremacist fascism here. They still hate FDR, despise liberal democracy in America and pine for the Confederacy. Let's see what happens after they demonstrate their complete inability to govern for a couple years. The first month has been a real clusterfuck of incompetence.