Rumor: Apple's 'iPhone 8' might not feature full-screen OLED sans home button, to launch l...

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
Though analyst consensus has Apple releasing an OLED "iPhone 8" with wireless charging and "invisible" home button later this year, a report on Tuesday claims the described model is but one of many prototypes that might not make it to production.

Citing a source familiar with the matter, Japanese blog Mac Otakara on Tuesday said Apple is still working to finalize an "iPhone Edition" set to debut alongside expected "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" handsets this fall.

According to previous reports, this year's flagship iPhone, tentatively dubbed "iPhone 8," is said to feature a glass-sandwich design, full-face 5.8-inch OLED screen and an under-display or integrated fingerprint sensor. Of note, the new design is said to eschew Apple's longstanding Touch ID home button for an onscreen "function area" dedicated to virtual controls.

Mac Otakara claims a similar next-generation iPhone prototype is indeed undergoing evaluation in engineering verification testing (EVT), but Apple might not elect to manufacture the model this year. The company currently has multiple prototypes in the EVT stage, both with and without Touch ID home button. Other iterations under consideration incorporate IPS TFT or AMOLED screens and chassis designs made from glass, aluminum, white ceramic and other exotic materials.

Apple has a long way to go before deciding on any one particular design, the report said. In fact, not much has been settled beyond the basic concept of a 5-inch format display, dual camera array and wireless charging. Excluded from the list of candidate technologies are USB-C -- a dubious rumor already debunked by KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo -- and potential dual-display arrangements.

The report goes on to say that recent analyst predictions regarding the upcoming iPhone model are based on Apple requests for material samples, and might be somewhat misleading. In order to move from the EVT stage to design verification testing (DVT), the company needs to discern which components are available, or will be available, in time for production later this year. The inquiries do not necessarily reflect intent, meaning analysts are offering information on prototypes that may not make the cut.

That being said, much of the "iPhone 8" information in current circulation originates from Kuo, a veteran with a strong track record in predicting Apple's moves.

Today's report also claims Apple is looking to announce its flagship handset alongside evolutionary "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus" updates in September, but will likely release the special edition smartphone at a much later date.

The supposed launch timeline jibes with a recent report from DigiTimes that claims Apple's custom fingerprint sensor is not slated to enter mass manufacturing until September. That would imply a street date sometime in November, at the earliest.

Mac Otakara has a decent track record when it comes to predicting future Apple releases. Last year, for example, the publication was first to claim the then-unreleased iPhone 7 would not include a 3.5mm headphone jack. The same person or persons who furnished that particular bit of information is the source of today's report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If Apple is planning to release the phone in the Autumn, then it's highly unlikely that they're still prototyping. 

The problem I have with these made-up stories is that they give the impression that Apple is floundering about close to the beginning of the manufacturing process and is still not sure what will go into the phone or what it will look like. 

The reality is that Apple is buttoned up so tight that the rumour pages don't know what's going on. In order to keep up the page clicks they need to buy some time between now and when the first actual product leaks appear. In order to do that they're rolling out lots of stories saying that "Apple hasn't decided yet". 

tmaysmiffy31beowulfschmidtmike1StrangeDaysjbdragondoozydozencornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Rayz2016 said:
    If Apple is planning to release the phone in the Autumn, then it's highly unlikely that they're still prototyping. 

The problem I have with these made-up stories is that they give the impression that Apple is floundering about close to the beginning of the manufacturing process and is still not sure what will go into the phone or what it will look like. 

The reality is that Apple is buttoned up so tight that the rumour pages don't know what's going on. In order to keep up the page clicks they need to buy some time between now and when the first actual product leaks appear. In order to do that they're rolling out lots of stories saying that "Apple hasn't decided yet". 

Yes in the old leaky days of Apple at least we got a credible rumor once in a while.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Or.... maybe all the rumors about this phone are correct. Excepts it's in DVT and they are having second thoughts...  or maybe this rumor is false to through the trail off 
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Yes, but what does Ming-Chi, Analyst Extraordinaire, have to say about this?
    edited March 2017 wonkothesanedoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Just What if, All we get is a normal, Clockwork iPhone 7s ? Faster SoC, better Baseband, much improved energy efficiency and larger battery?

Along with a new Red Colour that should sell out fast in China.

Bearing in mind, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with releasing just an iPhone 7s this year.
    doozydozenwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    So many new Apple products seem to ship "long after release." I had a 2016 MBP 15" on order for a month, but then cancelled because I refused to wait any longer. The AirPods? Are you kidding? Great new products from Apple are fine and well, but they need to start shipping the day of their announcements. That would be a radically good change for them.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    It's the tenth anniversary of the original iPhone---Apple's going to get the iPhone 8 in our hands this year.
    edited March 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Think the whole iPhone 8 this year is BS, throws off the entire product cycle and canabilizes sales of the 7s/7s Plus. 

I feel like we should expect a Hardware spec bumps, dual camera upgrade on the 7s to match 7 Plus and a new experimental hardware feature on the 7s Plus (maybe Qi charging) which eventually will get passed down to the iPhone 8. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    mikestan said:
    Think the whole iPhone 8 this year is BS, throws off the entire product cycle and canabilizes sales of the 7s/7s Plus. 

I feel like we should expect a Hardware spec bumps, dual camera upgrade on the 7s to match 7 Plus and a new experimental hardware feature on the 7s Plus (maybe Qi charging) which eventually will get passed down to the iPhone 8. 
    I agree. Apple would NEVER announce the 7s and 8 simultaneously and ship the better one much later. Why sabotage their own product?? If anything like that, they would ship the low end product later. 
    StrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Yes, but what does Ming-Chi, Analyst Extraordinaire, have to say about this?
    Yes, we await the word of Mr "Well Connected".  

He's one of three brothers, you know. His younger brother, "Well Established", owns several small islands in the Pacific somewhere. 

His older brother is regarded as the least successful of the three, but folk who know them reckon he's the most content.  So if you ask any of their distant relatives, they'll tell you if you have to be one of three then you're better off being "Well Hung". 

edited March 2017 StrangeDaysbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 11 of 29
    … I'll just grab my coat. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yeah, with and without Home button = 7s, 7s plus and 8.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 13 of 29
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    It would not be strange if Apple itself spills some info that contradict other rumors to mislead others manufacturers.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Swami BaloneySwami Baloney Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    In the future Apple will release a new phone to replace the one it currently sells. It will have some new features that differentiate it from the one it replaces. Many people will buy this phone if it is in their plans to buy a replacement for the phone they currently have.
    dedgeckoStrangeDaysdoozydozencornchipnetmage
  • Reply 15 of 29
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I say Apple just let the gorgeous 7 series run its course, and wait until next year for the 8.
    Compared to the awful and ugly 6 series, the 7 refined what looked like a premature abomination. 

i say just prime everyone for next years 8 by completely getting rid of the home button this year and replacing the bottom section of the 7 with an oled function area like on the new MacBooks. 
    No need to rush into the 8 if it's not quite ready, especially when the 7 series is such a nice phone compared to the 6 series.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 16 of 29
    AkamineAkamine Posts: 8member
    I think Apple has its models ready one year before their launch. i8 was ready since last September. Then they have one year ahead only for fine tuning the software. 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Akamine said:
    I think Apple has its models ready one year before their launch. i8 was ready since last September. Then they have one year ahead only for fine tuning the software. 
    All the features we've been hearing for the iPhone 8 have been in development since before the iPhone 5. That's well documented. It's about getting the kinks out and the supply chain ready for it.
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 29
    One thing Apple will not do is release it late. They are essentially obligated to launch every 12 months thanks to the proliferation of 12 month upgrade programs. No one is going to accept paying an extra month or 2 of installments toward their existing phone. It also completely screws you for the following year, if that phone comes early, you need pay off your 12 months to get back on track. 

In short, these upgrade programs only exist as long as Apple honor the implicit promise of a new phone every September. 
  • Reply 19 of 29
    One thing Apple will not do is release it late. They are essentially obligated to launch every 12 months thanks to the proliferation of 12 month upgrade programs. No one is going to accept paying an extra month or 2 of installments toward their existing phone. It also completely screws you for the following year, if that phone comes early, you need pay off your 12 months to get back on track. 

In short, these upgrade programs only exist as long as Apple honor the implicit promise of a new phone every September. 
    Yeah no.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    none of this matters, look at how many iPhone 7 sold. 
    bushman4