Apple says 'many' exploits revealed in CIA leak already patched in latest iOS version

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    redefiler said:
    I think Apple's resistance to the FBI's backdooring demands in the San Bernardino terror case will serve them well in this scandal.

In light of this information about serious intelligence agency malfeasance they were right to take the high moral stance.  The government can't be trusted not to create and foster exploits, much less maintain security on their secret hacking methods and personnel.

I really hope there has been no collusion between Apple and this illegal CIA hacking group. 
    Reminds of the fact that Michael Bromwich was forced on Apple by the Feds to snoop around, post-Amazon e-book trial. Who can really say definitively what the hell he was doing at Apple? He could've been reporting back to any number of three-letter agencies.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 22 of 30
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Please keep the focus on the exploits, wikileaks, and the IC. If things get out of hand or too abrasive we're going to have to lock the thread. Be respectful to each other.
    SoliSpamSandwichlostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 30
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    redefiler said:
    I think Apple's resistance to the FBI's backdooring demands in the San Bernardino terror case will serve them well in this scandal.

In light of this information about serious intelligence agency malfeasance they were right to take the high moral stance.  The government can't be trusted not to create and foster exploits, much less maintain security on their secret hacking methods and personnel.

I really hope there has been no collusion between Apple and this illegal CIA hacking group. 
    Yes and no. IMHO it does bolster Apple's case about not putting in a back door. On the other hand, it is the job of intelligence agencies to find exploits so they can find ways to spy on the spies. They just aren't legally authorized to apply the exploits to citizens without a court order. That is a fine line we have to live with.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    redefiler said:

I'd expect that the CIA was working within the law and only spying on foreign operatives. Considering the depth of this leak, had the CIA been using these exploits to spy on Americans, it would have been the juiciest piece of information yet and sure to get top billing when the leaks were published. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but the lack of any embarrassing information regarding illegal practices gives me some small hope that the CIA is at least following US law.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 25 of 30
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Yeah at this point, I don't believe Apple at all that they patched these exploits. Open source your code or I'm calling BS. Today's leaks prove only one thing, that no electronic device in major use today is safe from hacking/snooping.

BTW: Why 'call' BS -- it appears to me that you live in/with it?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gnnoni said:
    Seems to indicate Little Snitch was compromised. I got rid of Little Snitch because I noticed funny things were happening when I had it installed.

Snowden is right. This is the "big one".
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 28 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gnnoni said:
    Seems to indicate Little Snitch was compromised. I got rid of Little Snitch because I noticed funny things were happening when I had it installed.

Snowden is right. This is the "big one".
    Could you be more specific? It reads like you got rid of Little Snitch because you saw things happening that you didn't want to see, not because Little Snitch was itself compromised. If Little Snitch was compromised to ignore certain data being sent and received by the feds, I'd think its compromise would keep it from showing up in Little Snitch at all.
    propod
  • Reply 29 of 30
    "Many" is the wrong answer from Apple.  ALL need to be plugged off, now.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 30 of 30
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    "Many" is the wrong answer from Apple.  ALL need to be plugged off, now.
    Would you rather they lie?

Or would you rather they be honest and keep working hard at building the most secure system available?

I'm in the second camp.