Honda reveals Clarity Electric & Plug-in Hybrid with support for Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Honda on Wednesday announced two upcoming cars, the Clarity Electric and Clarity Plug-in Hybrid, that will add to a growing roster supporting Apple's CarPlay platform.

The vehicles are based off of the Clarity Fuel Cell, a hydrogen-powered car that went on sale in California last year. Other details are sketchy, but the Electric will allegedly be the "first affordable, midsize, five-passenger battery electric vehicle."

The Plug-in Hybrid, meanwhile, will launch across all 50 U.S. states, and support 40 miles of pure electric driving, or a much longer distance in an "extended range" gasoline-electric mode.

Both vehicles will also have Honda Sensing assistance technology, and make an appearance at the 2017 New York International Auto Show, which is scheduled for Apr. 14 to Apr. 23.

Support for CarPlay -- as well as Android Auto -- will be available through Honda's Display Audio dash interface.

While initially slow to support CarPlay, which launched in 2014, Honda has been ramping up support in the past year. It will still have some work to do to catch up with leaders in the field like Chevrolet, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, and Volkswagen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    How do you install upgrades to CarPlay?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Wireless CarPlay is more interesting.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Honda definitely needs to improve their electronics.  I can't even one close to conveying how much I hate the stuff in my wife's 2016 Honda. The GPS is so incredibly sucky. You're better off stopping at gas stations to ask for directions. I curse the engineers who made it.  May they have to use that GPS for all their travels. Everything else generally rises to the level of really mediocre. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 8
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    williamh said:
    Honda definitely needs to improve their electronics.  I can't even one close to conveying how much I hate the stuff in my wife's 2016 Honda. The GPS is so incredibly sucky. You're better off stopping at gas stations to ask for directions. I curse the engineers who made it.  May they have to use that GPS for all their travels. Everything else generally rises to the level of really mediocre. 
    Toyota's navigation system is not much better.  The graphics quality is appalling.  
  • Reply 5 of 8
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Cars in photo is running backwards 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    doggone said:
    williamh said:
    Toyota's navigation system is not much better.  The graphics quality is appalling.  
    Are any built-in nav systems any good?  I've heard that even Tesla's is mixed, though it's almost certainly better than most.

And phones get live map data, a $100 Garmin gets free lifetime map updates, and a $1k built in car system still costs hundreds for a new map in some cars.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    In other news Honda incapable of producing an interesting fully electric vehicle.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 8 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Subaru's 2016 sucks as well, despite it being a tiered upgrade I had to buy in order to get the keyless entry. This shit is pathetically bad considering how long iOS has had it beat.