Google radically scales back glassy new HQ plans, unveils conventional corporate building ...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Google need to stick to their core values of monetising user data and selling advertising.
    watto_cobraMacsplosion
  • Reply 42 of 72
    lmasanti said:
    Zen connects with your inner self, deeply. 
    How did you finagle an advert for Zen, into this. Nothing against it other than when it talks bullshit in the guise of 'spiritualism'. So there's 'your' inner self is there. What is the relationship between the 'you' containing in the 'your' and the 'inner' part? It's like 'diving deep within yourself to find yourself. As if there is the diver and there is the self. It's all you.
    singularity
  • Reply 43 of 72
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    foggyhill said:
    Google is right to scale back their plans.  The Apple Park spaceship is going to be a money pit for decades to come.  Imagine just the cost of building and maintaining this structure must be astronomical  Who cares if they have the largest curves pieces of glass.  What they should care about is how much it costs.  All this other touchy-feely crap for employees,  I hope they come to work and get actual work done.  Sorry Mr Cook,  not a wise allocation of capital.    
    Right... You do know Apple's employees are housed in very expensive shit they're renting all over the valley right now....
    In fact this complex is probably in the long run LESS expensive and much more productive than what they were using before.

Since design is a core part of Apple, the building itself is fully representative of its ethos.

Also,
    This building is Jobs fucking baby you idiot. You're last comment shows me your actual agenda here.
    Jobs and Apple designed this building when the company was 5 times smaller than now.

If anything, this complex's ambitions are way too small.

Considering this building is filled with engineers in the 150-200K a year bracket. so the amount paid in salaries to people in this building and the surrounding ones is likely  at least $2 Billion dollar a year, the maintenance costs of this thing compared to other expenses is ridiculously low once you've eliminated all those that would be paid no matter where they were for these people.

Considering this building and amenities is basically a great recruiting tool for the company, the actual cost is even lower.

So, you can cut the ill informed Cook bashing and slink back to your cave.

I was going to add to this, but  you seem to have covered everything, so I'll just say "Oooh, burn" and leave it at that. 
    watto_cobraMacsplosion
  • Reply 44 of 72
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,719member
    The new building is tragic. 

It it is so for the fact that it completely fails to be either:

1) a good, aesthetic design. 

And

2) greatly functional. 

The actual front and and sides of the building look like a badly designed Albertsons supermarket or a Home Depot store, while the roof design actually cuts into what could have been a ton of vertical space. 

It it borders on stupidity. 

And the the roof looks like it belongs to something else. It has a total separate design language than the rest of the building. 

What at a mess. They'll regret this inside of year one. 

But it what do you expect from the crew that took the 2007 iPhone UI, ruined it, then called it "material design" and promoted it like it was something new and cool. Lol

so very sad. Apple develops this hot new iconic campus and you build a poor homemade looking tribute to Gamera. 
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 72
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,719member
    Heck, even that first vision is a mess. 

And  s I don't even want to think what might happen to people of any of those glass panels fell...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 72
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Seriously, who cares? 
    if you think this is a sign that Google is in trouble then you're as nuts as anyone who would think Apple were in trouble given the same news.

Google are fine, Apple are fine, and this Draco-Balboa grudge match the tech press wants to forment is non-existent. They're healthy competitors, and they push each other to be better. Be grateful for that.
    Just like Palm was fine. And Microsoft was fine. And Motorola was fine. And Nokia was fine. And Xiaomi was fine. Companies don't go out of business as long as they have people posting their defenses in online comments!
    Not even sure what point you're trying to make.  Companies don't go out of business because tech journalists post articles about their scaled-back construction plans either.  Why do you even respond to comments when you so clearly can't stand them?

- Palm weren't in particularly good shape even before the iPhone, I don't think many, if any, people were arguing that they were fine.
    - Microsoft?  Microsoft are doing great.  Their strategies have been a little confused in the past decade, but they've come through very strong and with very healthy business prospects in cloud and services.  They've totally realigned their software model, and it's been a very successful shift.  Hardware less so, but they're not a hardware company, and it's not a big problem for them.
    - Motorola and Nokia clearly weren't fine post-iPhone, and hardly anyone was saying that.  They clearly don't compare to Google, which is massively popular, and profitable.  
    - Xiaomi I know nothing about, maybe you're right.

How about Samsung?  You've been relentlessly attacking them for years, have they gone out of business for any of the reasons you love to bash them for?

singularitynetmageavon b7
  • Reply 47 of 72
    darelrexdarelrex Posts: 138member
    hooli.com
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Signature buildings are not as important as how organisations function. One of the most celebrated buildings at MIT was not the one by IM Pei but a wooden prefab dating from the war. Researchers loved it because it empowered them to do whatever they liked, including punching a hole through a wall if they needed to. Another Norman Foster designed building, the so called Guerkin in London is lovely outside and famously a terrible office space due to the circular design. The Apple Park looks nice, but in the end what happens in that building and the culture is far is more important important. 
    netmage
  • Reply 49 of 72
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Steve Jobs was involved in design his whole adult life, and now has two major corporate buildings that he heavily influenced, Apple Campus 2 and Pixar, not to mention the various Apple Stores worldwide, and of course, his Yacht.

I'm not seeing Eric Schmidt, Larry Page or Sergei Brin being anywhere as involved in Google campus design. Perhaps that's a good thing.

The Google campus will probably be a wonderful environment for Google employees, and that's all that matters in the end.
    apple jockey
  • Reply 50 of 72
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Signature buildings are not as important as how organisations function. One of the most celebrated buildings at MIT was not the one by IM Pei but a wooden prefab dating from the war. Researchers loved it because it empowered them to do whatever they liked, including punching a hole through a wall if they needed to. Another Norman Foster designed building, the so called Guerkin in London is lovely outside and famously a terrible office space due to the circular design. The Apple Park looks nice, but in the end what happens in that building and the culture is far is more important important. 

Depends on what Apple wants to do with its new campus. 

It won't be just form. The campus should improve productivity and collaboration by co-locating many teams together, compared to the scattered campus today,

It can also allow Apple to pilot new technologies in IoT, energy, construction and real estate sectors. The fruit company has a lot of experiences designing and building offices, cafes, retail stores, and data centers around the world now. They also run hydro, wind, solar and bio power sources. Can't wait for new Apple products in these areas. Their signature showcases here can sell their capabilities more than press releases and placement articles.
    edited March 2017 apple jockey
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This interior design lacks coherence and thought. It's like someone just threw every idea in there without any consideration on how it would be used.

There's a table next to the walking track and the aerobic area, because people love to sit and eat where other folk are sweating. And what about some sort of barrier to stop the aerobic class from falling off the platform and killing people on the stairs below?

Now there appears to be an adult in charge of the purse strings, I think we'll see a tighter, more focussed Google from now on.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    Google should try cutting back on free gormet meals, a workplace is not feel-good social center or playground.
    Any reason you think it's more productive to feel-bad at work?

I'd think less stress, which includes worrying about preparing meals for the day and being able to work longer hours because a decent meal is easily accessible, would be beneficial to productivity.
    Agreed. When you take care of your employees they feel respected and cared for and will actually be more productive as a result. When moral is low, people feel less inclined to give work their greatest. 
    That's a debatable conclusion. The early successes of Intel, Facebook and Apple are prime examples of workforces under unrelenting high pressure to perform or face termination.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cali said:
    crowley said:
    Seriously, who cares?  The worth of a company is not measured by its HQ architecture or profligacy.

if you think this is a sign that Google is in trouble then you're as nuts as anyone who would think Apple were in trouble given the same news.

Google are fine, Apple are fine, and this Draco-Balboa grudge match the tech press wants to forment is non-existent. They're healthy competitors, and they push each other to be better. Be grateful for that.
    Giggle in no fucking way pushes Apple to be better. Apple don't give a shit what that spyware company is doing. 
    Tim Cook cares enough to have dinner and conversation with Sundar Pinchai, Google's CEO
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/09/caption-contest-tim-cook-sundar-pichai/
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 54 of 72
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Seriously, who cares? 

Just like Palm was fine. And Microsoft was fine. And Motorola was fine. And Nokia was fine. And Xiaomi was fine. Companies don't go out of business as long as they have people posting their defenses in online comments!
    Not even sure what point you're trying to make.  Companies don't go out of business because tech journalists post articles about their scaled-back construction plans either.  Why do you even respond to comments when you so clearly can't stand them?

- Palm weren't in particularly good shape even before the iPhone, I don't think many, if any, people were arguing that they were fine.
    - Microsoft?  Microsoft are doing great.  Their strategies have been a little confused in the past decade, but they've come through very strong and with very healthy business prospects in cloud and services.  They've totally realigned their software model, and it's been a very successful shift.  Hardware less so, but they're not a hardware company, and it's not a big problem for them.
    - Motorola and Nokia clearly weren't fine post-iPhone, and hardly anyone was saying that.  They clearly don't compare to Google, which is massively popular, and profitable.  
    - Xiaomi I know nothing about, maybe you're right.

How about Samsung?  You've been relentlessly attacking them for years, have they gone out of business for any of the reasons you love to bash them for?

You frequently complain that there's "nothing to see here" on my posts and yet you have been wrong repeatedly. 

At issue isn't whether my articles are bringing down multibillion dollar corporations (a very silly idea), but whether I'm reporting on important issues that few others are. 

I don't write to dictate what is going to happen. I write to be accurate and informative. I want to be right about what's changing, not to affect global change. Nearly every comment you make appears to be aimed at changing reality, not accurately describing it. That's why, like the Verge, you're wrong about most everything you say. 

StrangeDaysmacguiwatto_cobraanalogjackapple jockeypropodtmaybestkeptsecret
  • Reply 55 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Google is right to scale back their plans.  The Apple Park spaceship is going to be a money pit for decades to come.  Imagine just the cost of building and maintaining this structure must be astronomical  Who cares if they have the largest curves pieces of glass.  What they should care about is how much it costs.  All this other touchy-feely crap for employees,  I hope they come to work and get actual work done.  Sorry Mr Cook,  not a wise allocation of capital.    
    Complete nonsense. Thank god you aren't running Apple or any consumer brands relevant to my life. 

The campus cost wasn't that much compared to their bank account. They desperately needed more space. And as a software guy, I certainly appreciate and value a nice place to spend the majority of my waking hours. This HQ is a hit. Your post sounds bitter. 
    netmagemacguiwatto_cobraapple jockeytmay
  • Reply 56 of 72
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    That thing was so ridiculous I can't believe people thought it would be real. Seriously : PEOPLE DOING YOGA IN AN ELEVATED OUTSIDE TERRACE !!
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 57 of 72
    I think my favorite comment from an architectural web site regarding this new design was that it "looks like an armadillo that tried to cross the freeway". BIG has some interesting large scale projects, but this one seems like a dud. Even the original design tended to look like the roof design was trying to draw attention away from some rather pedestrian looking boxes collected underneath it.
    watto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 58 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    clemynx said:
    That thing was so ridiculous I can't believe people thought it would be real. Seriously : PEOPLE DOING YOGA IN AN ELEVATED OUTSIDE TERRACE !!
    Yeah i thought that highlighted imagery was instantly fictitious and disingenuous. 
  • Reply 59 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    clemynx said:
    Yeah i thought that highlighted imagery was instantly fictitious and disingenuous. 
    Another one are trees covering every rooftop. While that's a pleasant looking idea, I don't think I've seen any illustration that has made that a reality in the way it's always presented.

edited March 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Futuristic in a Mad Men 70's / Meets 60's streamlined sci-fi, sort of way.
    edited March 2017