New iPad models in testing near Apple's Cupertino headquarters, data suggests

Posted:
in iPad
Ahead of a potentially imminent product unveiling, Apple is testing multiple new iPad models around the San Francisco Bay Area -- including its home in Cupertino, according to data shared by a mobile marketing firm.

Tracking data shows four new models, listed as "iPad 7,1," "7,2," "7,3," and "7,4," Fiksu noted to TechCrunch. Prior to Apple's initial iPad Pro releases, Fiksu said it saw iPads marked "6,3/6,4" and "6,7/6,8" in its logs.

The unreleased devices are reportedly being tested with a variety of popular apps, in genres like games, music, and weather, and all running a mix of the iOS 10.3 beta and, allegedly, "iOS 11." The latter is only expected to be announced at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose June 5 through 9.

Rather than representing four separate iPads, the new identifications likely point to Wi-Fi and cellular versions of two devices.

Apple is rumored to be preparing three new iPad models overall, led by a 10.5-inch form factor which might minimize bezels. Also expected are an updated 12.9-inch tablet, and a 9.7-inch "budget" device probably replacing the iPad Air 2.

A press event unveiling new hardware could take place as soon as next week. While iPads will likely be the focus, the company may also debut a 128-gigabyte iPhone SE, new Apple Watch bands, and/or a (Product)Red iPhone 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    New iMac.
    Please.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sockrolid said:
    New iMac.
    Please.
    New MacBook Pro.
    Please.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sockrolid said:
    New iMac.
    Please.
    New MacBook Pro.
    Please.
    New Mac iOS please.
    See I can play this stupid ass game also
    An absolute killer would be a new x86 Mac (MBP, iMac, Mac Pro) with integrated A11 CPUs that can be used in a Metal/OpenGL/OpenCL fashion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sockrolid said:
    New iMac.
    Please.
    New MacBook Pro.
    Please.
    New Mac iOS please.
    See I can play this stupid ass game also
    Thats what I was doing...I was just being a smartass. :smiley: 
    edited March 2017 jbishop1039watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I think we will get a new A11 MacBook Pro once MS finally converts to using the Qualcomm chip to run Win10. Then we can Parallel/VM without the need for x86 systems and get the performance/battery life boost we all deserve!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Apple doesn't need a new budget 9.7 iPad. They just need to lower the price of the iPad Air2 to $299 now that it is three years old.

Right now the Pro is over priced at $599  (really $699 since you have to pay an extra $100 for the pencil).
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 8 of 11
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    new recommitment to cutting-edge innovating of something besides  Schiller's ass... :D
  • Reply 9 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    k2kw said:
    Apple doesn't need a new budget 9.7 iPad. They just need to lower the price of the iPad Air2 to $299 now that it is three years old.

Right now the Pro is over priced at $599  (really $699 since you have to pay an extra $100 for the pencil).
    Apple probably needs to upgrade Ipad Air 2 simply because its components are starting to get out of tune with the rest of its product lines.

All A8X will will soon stop being sold. The Ipad will be get A9X (or higher clocked A9), the Ipad Pro A10X or A11 (if they got for early into the next process).
    Probably and upgrade of cameras to better match the rest.
    Slightly better screen in line with the rest of the screens on other devices.
    Upgrade to WIFI, Bluetoouth and LTE components.

And maybe make it slightly thinner and lighter (so it weights say 350g) and it's 5mm thick.

• Reply 10 of 11
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I think we will get a new A11 MacBook Pro once MS finally converts to using the Qualcomm chip to run Win10. Then we can Parallel/VM without the need for x86 systems and get the performance/battery life boost we all deserve!
    If this happens, Intel is in for a world of hurt in the low range laptops and chromebooks will be killed off also.