Mazda says Apple CarPlay support coming soon, including retroactive upgrades

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Apple's CarPlay -- and Android Auto -- will be coming to Mazda vehicles sometime in the near future, the Japanese automaker revealed on Monday, taking it off the list of major holdouts in CarPlay support.

The company didn't say exactly when CarPlay support will be coming, or which vehicles might be launching with the technology, according to Cars.com. It did however reveal that any vehicle sporting a Mazda Connect system will be "retroactively upgradeable," with "a potentially minimal hardware addition needed."

That would imply vehicles as far back as the 2014 Mazda3, instantly giving Mazda one of the larger CarPlay-compatible fleets. The company made the announcement alongside the launch of a new SUV, the 2017 CX-5.

Most automakers only began supporting CarPlay in earnest with 2016 models, and indeed some brands -- like Audi, BMW, and Ford -- are only offering the technology in 2017 and 2018 vehicles. Just a few companies have enabled retroactive upgrades, primarily Kia and Hyundai.

Mazda became an official CarPlay partner in 2014, but has remained largely quiet on the issue until now. The biggest gap in Apple's platform remains Toyota, which despite being one of the world's biggest auto firms has actively refused it in favor of its own technology.

It's unknown if Mazda will join BMW in offering wireless CarPlay, or demand a wired connection as with most implementations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Way to go Mazda!!! You will pick up more sales over those still have their face in sand like Toyota. Comparing Honda and Toyota vhicles for the last few years, Honda is atteast 2 years ahead in new features implementation in their vehicles than Toyota.
    magman1979watto_cobraDan Andersen
  • Reply 2 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Zoom zoom zoom!!!
    magman1979
  • Reply 3 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    wood1208 said:
    Way to go Mazda!!! You will pick up more sales over those still have their face in sand like Toyota. Comparing Honda and Toyota vhicles for the last few years, Honda is atteast 2 years ahead in new features implementation in their vehicles than Toyota.
    Its only a matter of time before Toyota has their hand forced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Hopefully, this will apply to both our 2015 Mazda 3 and 2016.5 CX-5, as they both have Mazda Connect. I was thinking CarPlay might not happen because of Mazda's relationship with Toyota. Fingers crossed this happens soon!
    dysamoriawatto_cobraDan Andersen
  • Reply 5 of 15
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Would say Honda has just as large a gap, with the promises about 2016 CRV's being upgraded.  Some got it, but then it disappeared.

• Reply 6 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The Bluetooth stack in my Mazda is appalling compared with the Hyundai. That is embarrassing, let alone the absence of CarPlay.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    rbonner said:
    Would say Honda has just as large a gap, with the promises about 2016 CRV's being upgraded.  Some got it, but then it disappeared.

Many like you in same dilemma. Honda implemented CarPlay in their popular large consumer base Civic and Accord but left popular CRV from it. Seems even Honda may not have convenience-able answer for it. And same token, their luxury Acura brand is in the same boat of missing carplay and customers are mad about it.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    wood1208 said:
    rbonner said:

Many like you in same dilemma. Honda implemented CarPlay in their popular large consumer base Civic and Accord but left popular CRV from it. Seems even Honda may not have convenience-able answer for it. And same token, their luxury Acura brand is in the same boat of missing carplay and customers are mad about it.
    Really? Mad? Source? How many or what percentage?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Toyota/Lexus's driver facing software is a f'n nightmare. While their audio interface is fiddly it at least has physical buttons for most commonly used functions so it can be ignored. The nightmare truly begins when you try to get their mapping software to do anything useful (like set a destination, pause navigation or change destination) - it's confusing, time consuming and completely counterintuitive.
    magman1979watto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 10 of 15
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Awesome!  Would love to upgrade to this in my 2016 Miata!
    LoveGiantsDan Andersen
  • Reply 11 of 15
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    If only Subaru would be as enlightened as to offer retroactive upgrades. Looks like Forester will be the last model to even get it new. I got the top of the line trim level in 2016 including the premium Harmon-Kardon stereo, but I'm stuck with a stock Star-something-or-other interface which regards Aha Radio as the "bee's knees" latest Internet services. Dial-up anyone? Come on, Subie!
    edited March 2017 watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Hello Ford... I hope you're listening!!!  
    watto_cobraDan Andersen
  • Reply 13 of 15
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I REALLY hope they upgrade the 2015 Mazda 3 I'm driving. I HATE the existing GUI.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    dysamoria said:
    I REALLY hope they upgrade the 2015 Mazda 3 I'm driving. I HATE the existing GUI.
    I hear you man... i hear you...

Me: Phone
    Mazda: would you like to phone by name or number
    Me: number
    Mazda: pound
    Me: fuck
    Mazda: please say the name or number you would like to call
    Mazda: please say the name or number you would like to call
    Me: Name
    Mazda: What name would you like to call
    Me: Person X
    Mazda: Please say the name you would like to call
    Me: P.E.R.S.O.N X
    Mazda: This person has 2 contact numbers, please say which number you would like to call or line number
    Me: 1
    Mazda: Would you like to call Person X
    Me: yeeeeeesssss
    Mazda: Calling person X
    Me: I could have pulled over dialed and got an icecream in the time this shit took...

But the car... nothing, nothing handles as good as a Mazda skyactive... nothing...
  • Reply 15 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    If only Subaru would be as enlightened as to offer retroactive upgrades. Looks like Forester will be the last model to even get it new. I got the top of the line trim level in 2016 including the premium Harmon-Kardon stereo, but I'm stuck with a stock Star-something-or-other interface which regards Aha Radio as the "bee's knees" latest Internet services. Dial-up anyone? Come on, Subie!
    Yeah I have the top tier 2016 cross trek, same junk. the local deal techies say no way will
    it be retroactive due to old hardware.