Snap poaches Apple News media manager to work on Discover section

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2017
Snap, formerly known as Snapchat, recently hired Donna Ogier away from Apple to work on Discover, the money making app section dedicated to news and entertainment content.

Ogier has been working at Snap since February, but the move was not widely known until Recode spotted a change to the former Apple manager's LinkedIn profile on Monday. According to the updated page, Ogier is now Snap's global publishing manager.

Snap confirmed the hire, saying Ogier will report to former New York Post President David Brinker. Brinker is also a fairly new addition to the team, joining the social media company in October to oversee business development of content initiatives like Discover, the report said.

What, exactly, Ogier's new position entails is unclear, but she will likely facilitate deals with Snap's publishing partners, which include People, the Daily Mail, ESPN, BuzzFeed and more. She served a similar role at Apple, where she handled publishing partners for Apple News.

Ogier joined Apple in 2013, working as an App Store manager for news, the erstwhile Newsstand, food & drink and lifestyle. In early 2015, she was made a senior public relations manager for what would debut as Apple News in iOS 9.

Prior to her work at Apple, Ogier was a magazine and iPad manager for Australian publication Coles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I'd actually use Apple News if it didn't force feed me leftist propaganda.
    awilliams87
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Who gives a crap? Seriously.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

#SoS Your Stuck on Stupid has nothing to do with this pointless article. Don't cry when this POS administration goes down in flames.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 8
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I've never really understood all these stories about personnel changes. Exactly what has this person actually done?  Lotta non-descriptive words here: "working" "manager" "facilities" "joins the team" "manager manager manager." Some fairly high profile people at Apple have clear contributions to things, but when I see these reports from people pulling down at least high six figure salaries, I immediately think "Dilbert" and "Marissa Meyer." Just once I'd like to hear from someone that was inspired by some highly paid mid level pointy haired boss to do something extraordinary. 

StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 8

#SoS Your Stuck on Stupid has nothing to do with this pointless article. Don't cry when this POS administration goes down in flames.
    :-|
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 6 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    That's like claiming Apple Music feeds rap (yes, people claim this). You train it on what news sources you want. Add all the right-winger stuff you want, nobody's stopping you.
    edited March 2017 cali
  • Reply 7 of 8
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I also don't understand the term "poach" in the headline. That term often refers to some sort of improper hiring, or even a breach of contract by the employee. Do we know if this person had an employment contract they breached? There was a fairly high profile anti-trust case involving Apple and others about a tacit agreement to not "poach" but it seems merely offering someone a superior position is hardly wrongful. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I stopped using News. The stories just redirect you to the article's websites so what's the point? I want a clean interface. 

That's like claiming Apple Music feeds rap (yes, people claim this). You train it on what news sources you want. Add all the right-winger stuff you want, nobody's stopping you.

I was thinking the same. I bet he gets mad at leftist headlines, clicks them and then claims Apple keeps feeding them to him. 

StrangeDays