Samsung plays catch-up with Apple, promises monthly security updates for unlocked US phone...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23

Too:

Unlocked phones surely make up a huge percentage of their phones.

And I presume one has to wade through car-ware to get to the patches.

And why on a fixed schedule other than that’s the way Micro/Soft does it? Why not as soon as possible? (And a reminder that allegedly the patch for one Android handset allegedly won’t work on another handset or even the same handset on a different carrier. Second reminder: That’s a feature of the OS, not a bug.)

Much sizzle, little meat here.

• Reply 22 of 23
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Problems fixed so far(ish): Not copying Apple Updates (sort of) Problems not fixed: Security Privacy Apps Ease of use Consistent experience Profitability In other news, SS PR has announced a new forked version of Android based on 4.2 with a completely secure kernel. To satisfy Google, GMaps, GMail and GSearch will remain non-optional, integrated device functions, yet SS has created a completely new GUI to differentiate SS software from the bland swathe of other Android handsets across the world. Although Goog has yet to respond officially, several strangled tweets from the world's largest advertising agency staff have indicated vague dissatisfaction with this new gambit by SS. Tech pundits have been tentatively supporting this bold new move with hopefulness that, after seven years of trying, Android will finally generate acceptable customer satisfaction. At the time of writing, interim CEO of SS has stated, 'The transition to the new SOS (Samsung Operating System) should be quite smooth'. Apple has naturally ignored the entire drama.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Manqueman said:

Too:

Unlocked phones surely make up a huge percentage of their phones.

And I presume one has to wade through car-ware to get thy o the patches.

And why on a fixed schedule other than that’s the way Micro/Soft does it? Why not as soon as possible? (And a reminder that allegedly the patch for one Android handset allegedly won’t work on another handset or even the same handset on a different carrier. Second reminder: That’s a feature of the OS, not a bug.)

Much sizzle, little meat here.

I disagree, this is specifically the US unlocked version which is not sold by the carriers. The unlocked version of the S7 was available for purchase a few months after the carrier version. I don't think it really sold in high numbers.