Apple Park HQ buttressed by Central & Wolfe 'AC3' campus in Sunnyvale, Calif.

Posted:
in General Discussion
Alongside the soon-to-open Apple Park, the iPhone maker's lesser-known "AC3" Central & Wolfe campus is also nearing completion, boasting many of the same environmental efforts that the main campus will provide.

Apple originally signed a lease with Landbank Investments LLC to occupy the firm's Central & Wolfe campus in late 2015, with the terms unknown, but said to be for 10 years. The site was purchased shortly thereafter by developer Jay Paul.

A website set up to showcase approved building designs reveals a trio of organically shaped, multi-story structures that connect around a central courtyard to create what looks like three-quarters of Apple's "command" key. Parking is primarily underground, with a central court capable of hosting food trucks, and some visitor parking.

The footage of the site, provided by Level 10 Construction, shows small parks, walking paths, and wide open spaces populated by local flora. The original plans were to landscape the roof, but it does not appear that to be currently planned based on a rendering of the completed building.

Curved windows in the Central and Wolfe site are reminiscent of those used in Apple Park's main structure.

It is not known when Apple plans to move in. The Central & Wolfe project is located across the street from the Sunnyvale Crossing seven-building development Apple is already leasing, and is 3 miles away from Apple Park.

On Feb. 22, Apple officially named the "spaceship" campus under construction. The entire facility is now called "Apple Park," with the 20-foot tall and 165 foot in diameter glass auditorium honoring one of the founders of the company and named the "Steve Jobs Theater."

An environmentally-friendly design was paramount to Jobs's vision, and Apple's related Phase 2 project adds additional workspace adjacent to the main headquarters, and includes a small data center powered by on-site the on-site solar farm, fuel cells, and other sources of renewable energy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    They're using MS Windows?!  :#
  • Reply 2 of 19
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    'Course, if you live here you realize that Apple, and the cities of Sunnyvale and Cupertino, are doing ZERO to expand the roadway infrastructure. So while the fanboys can drool and swoon over these humongous buildings, those of us who live here are already choked in traffic, and once these behemoths open up and thousands more cars spew onto the freeways, it's going to be much worse.

And, I don't buy this "environmentally friendly" BS. They've cut tons of trees to build these monster complexes and who knows what else they do to the environment. Sure, solar farms help their energy bill, but nobody talks about how they're hurting the environment; all those bulldozers sure spew a lot of stuff into the air...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    r00fus1r00fus1 Posts: 65member
    Unlike other companies, Apple is secure enough in their products to not be concerned if other companies' products are used here and there. I know for a fact that one of my friends who worked at Apple years ago had to use Windows due to a specific software package (nowadays it's probably just cloud hosted)- IT even helped her setup & secure the BootCamp on the Mac Pro. Plus this is a contractor's computer - I really doubt Apple is going to force their entire supply chain to use macOS.
    baconstangcali
  • Reply 4 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    This is all Tim Cooks fault. Level10 has to be one of those EXTREME Pro users, and they can't get an EXTREME Pro level machine from Apple!
    jony0Rayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 19
    r00fus1r00fus1 Posts: 65member
    fmalloy said:
    'Course, if you live here you realize that Apple, and the cities of Sunnyvale and Cupertino, are doing ZERO to expand the roadway infrastructure. So while the fanboys can drool and swoon over these humongous buildings, those of us who live here are already choked in traffic, and once these behemoths open up and thousands more cars spew onto the freeways, it's going to be much worse.

And, I don't buy this "environmentally friendly" BS. They've cut tons of trees to build these monster complexes and who knows what else they do to the environment. Sure, solar farms help their energy bill, but nobody talks about how they're hurting the environment; all those bulldozers sure spew a lot of stuff into the air...
    Right. Because the workers and their vehicles just appeared out of thin air. No, they're being routed from other buildings. Cupertino has always been Apple-country. Were you here in the 80s and 90s? Seemed like half the buildings were Apple ones - though they were space inefficient. I do think it's a pity that more tax revenues aren't being paid to local cities to allot for road/infrastructure usage.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    fmalloy said:

No, you must live in an alternate dimension since Apple tore down the old HP buildings to build Apple Park. They have also planted thousands of trees! Also, Apple will be busing many of their associates to work. If you're not happy about the traffic situation, talk to your city council and city planners - but stop grousing about a company that will bolster the businesses of local merchants by a very substantial amount! But none of this likely means anything to you - you're just someone who needs to gripe about everything!
    MikeymikeStrangeDaysjbdragonbaconstangration aliqatedoMacsplosioncalitmay
  • Reply 7 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    fmalloy said:

You don't need to buy it for it to be real. The new HQ doesn't require AC or heat 9 months out of the year. 

Please cite your links that show it's destructive.
    macxpressjbdragonbaconstangration altmay
  • Reply 8 of 19
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I'm very surprised.  I was under the obviously mistaken impression that all Apple employees in that area were either going to be in the older campus or Apple Park - that Apple was consolidating its real estate and giving up all the leased space.

The question I still have (I've raised it before) is what the hell are all these Apple employees doing?   It's not like there's big lines of new products.  Apple has been relatively slow to release new products the last few years and they have seemingly abandoned accessory lines like monitors and WiFi routers.   They've been slow to release updates of the Mini and Mac Pro.   They haven't been doing much with apps.   Most of the products they have released have been incremental variations on what's come before.    And it's also rumored that they've abandoned the Apple Car development.   So what is it that requires all these employees and facilities?    

Based on this new facility being 800,000 square feet (I don't know whether that includes the garages and grounds or not), it would seem this facility would hold another 2000 to 4000 employees.  

Either Apple is working on some very major secret project that they've managed to keep quiet (like robots) or....I don't even know what the "or" would be.   
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 9 of 19
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    @Zoetmb:  The question I still have (I've raised it before) is what the hell are all these Apple employees doing? 

Half of them are rewriting EULAs...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    fmalloy said:

No, you must live in an alternate dimension since Apple tore down the old HP buildings to build Apple Park. They have also planted thousands of trees! Also, Apple will be busing many of their associates to work. If you're not happy about the traffic situation, talk to your city council and city planners - but stop grousing about a company that will bolster the businesses of local merchants by a very substantial amount! But none of this likely means anything to you - you're just someone who needs to gripe about everything!
    I agree with you but I also there is a larger point about business and community that is important. Nothing exists in isolation, the local council and a company the size of Apple are not, or should not, be enemies, or completely separate in their areas of responsibility. I imagine Apple and the local council do in fact communicate. I get the feeling Apple more than many companies cares about the local community and as many of its employees live there it is in their own interest that roads and services generally, work and work well. I don't go along with fmalloy's complaining but I don't think that just because a company bolsters the business of local merchants they can wash their hands of local responsibilities. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    zoetmb said:
    I'm very surprised.  I was under the obviously mistaken impression that all Apple employees in that area were either going to be in the older campus or Apple Park - that Apple was consolidating its real estate and giving up all the leased space.

The question I still have (I've raised it before) is what the hell are all these Apple employees doing?   It's not like there's big lines of new products.  Apple has been relatively slow to release new products the last few years and they have seemingly abandoned accessory lines like monitors and WiFi routers.   They've been slow to release updates of the Mini and Mac Pro.   They haven't been doing much with apps.   Most of the products they have released have been incremental variations on what's come before.    And it's also rumored that they've abandoned the Apple Car development.   So what is it that requires all these employees and facilities?    

Based on this new facility being 800,000 square feet (I don't know whether that includes the garages and grounds or not), it would seem this facility would hold another 2000 to 4000 employees.  

Either Apple is working on some very major secret project that they've managed to keep quiet (like robots) or....I don't even know what the "or" would be.   
    The question I still have (I've raised it before) is what the hell are all these Apple employees doing?   It's not like there's big lines of new products.  Apple has been relatively slow to release new products the last few years and they have seemingly abandoned accessory lines like monitors and WiFi routers.   They've been slow to release updates of the Mini and Mac Pro

Their busy on the jogging paths and in the fitness center.  After that they go to a juice bar.  The perks employers have to offer to attract talent.  
  • Reply 12 of 19
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    zoetmb said:

The question I still have (I've raised it before) is what the hell are all these Apple employees doing?   It's not like there's big lines of new products.  Apple has been relatively slow to release new products the last few years and they have seemingly abandoned accessory lines like monitors and WiFi routers.   They've been slow to release updates of the Mini and Mac Pro

Their busy on the jogging paths and in the fitness center.  After that they go to a juice bar.  The perks employers have to offer to attract talent.  
    You truly have no clue about life in one of those firms hey...
    They abandoned product lines that don't support their long term strategy, that's it.
    If the Mac min and Mac Pro doesn't support either, they'll do that to. So, please quit the fraking whining.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 19
    fmalloy said:
    'Course, if you live here you realize that Apple, and the cities of Sunnyvale and Cupertino, are doing ZERO to expand the roadway infrastructure.

Actually, around Apple Park they have added lanes to the streets and are upgrading the Wolfe Road exit off of I-280. True, the cities aren't paying for this-- APPLE is. In addition Apple is growing their in-house bus fleet and are paying for upgrades to the infrastructure to support the new facility.

Please don't comment about things you know NOTHING about.

fmalloy said:
    They've cut tons of trees to build these monster complexes and who knows what else they do to the environment. Sure, solar farms help their energy bill, but nobody talks about how they're hurting the environment; all those bulldozers sure spew a lot of stuff into the air...

Apple has stated that the new buildings will use 100% renewable energy and are some of the most efficient buildings in the world. The facility will be completely covered in solar panels and will use fuel cell technology to take up the slack. This is similar to other facilities Apple has across the country, including their data centers in North Carolina, Oregon, and Nevada.

When you state "They've cut tons of trees" you DO realize that they haven't cut ANY, right?
    They have preserved the fully-grown trees that were already on the site, which are in storage and will be replanted. They have also been growing new trees for several years now offsite, some as far as hundreds of miles away.
    The site will be 80% covered in trees, up from the 20% coverage it had before-- when they finish there will be over 8000 trees, up from 3616 when HP owned the property. Apple is spending quite a bit on trees alone. That really doesn't sound like a lot of damage to the environment, frankly.

By the way, when you write in a message that "who knows what else they do to the environment." you are saying you don't know yourself, so the comment does nothing to support your point of view. Just sayin'.

Again, please keep your stupid comments with no basis in reality to yourself.

References:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/52-facts-about-apples-spaceship-campus-february-drone-video-3489704/
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/04/a-look-at-apples-insanely-ambitious-tree-planting-plans-for-its-new-spaceship-campus/
    edited March 2017 zoetmbStrangeDaysai46
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    fmalloy said:

I was just thinking about the roads while watching one of the recent 4K drone videos of the Apple Spaceship.  The road passing by looked pretty congested and narrow but obviously I could not see all the roads so i had no idea if this was typical of the area.  My memories of driving in CA are all from +30 years ago and it was bad then!

Whilst on the subject of the Spaceship, I may have missed it but the ubiquitous helicopter pad seems missing.  Then again normally it would be atop a new structure which is kind of difficult with a massive donut I guess.  Has anyone spotted one yet?  Not to mention a hatch that opens for hordes of flying cars to emerge from, which of course is the solution to your well perceived problem.  :wink: 

As to the green aspect, I'd wager solar farm envirmonenrtal damage, including the prep work pales in the long run compared to fossil fuel alternatives.  That said,  I'd agree there is a lot of open spaces in the US where they can be built with a lot less environmental damage for sure plus give great shelter to lizards underneath!  However, use of roof tops in CA and other urban areas is fine surely?  I see massive sites are going up in Morocco and India, the price/KWH for the latter coming in under any other competing fuel source thanks to the latest tech.  Absent interference by biased fossil fuel lobbyists the World at large seems to be forging ahead thank heavens.  Here I suspect it's a 'sad' future in the short term so Kudos to Silicon Valley companies at least.

edited March 2017
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    fmalloy said:
    'Course, if you live here you realize that Apple, and the cities of Sunnyvale and Cupertino, are doing ZERO to expand the roadway infrastructure.

Actually, around Apple Park they have added lanes to the streets and are upgrading the Wolfe Road exit off of I-280. True, the cities aren't paying for this-- APPLE is. In addition Apple is growing their in-house bus fleet and are paying for upgrades to the infrastructure to support the new facility.

Please don't comment about things you know NOTHING about.

fmalloy said:
    They've cut tons of trees to build these monster complexes and who knows what else they do to the environment. Sure, solar farms help their energy bill, but nobody talks about how they're hurting the environment; all those bulldozers sure spew a lot of stuff into the air...

Apple has stated that the new buildings will use 100% renewable energy and are some of the most efficient buildings in the world. The facility will be completely covered in solar panels and will use fuel cell technology to take up the slack. This is similar to other facilities Apple has across the country, including their data centers in North Carolina, Oregon, and Nevada.

When you state "They've cut tons of trees" you DO realize that they haven't cut ANY, right?
    They have preserved the fully-grown trees that were already on the site, which are in storage and will be replanted. They have also been growing new trees for several years now offsite, some as far as hundreds of miles away.
    The site will be 80% covered in trees, up from the 20% coverage it had before-- when they finish there will be over 8000 trees, up from 3616 when HP owned the property. Apple is spending quite a bit on trees alone. That really doesn't sound like a lot of damage to the environment, frankly.

By the way, when you write in a message that "who knows what else they do to the environment." you are saying you don't know yourself, so the comment does nothing to support your point of view. Just sayin'.

Again, please keep your stupid comments with no basis in reality to yourself.

References:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/52-facts-about-apples-spaceship-campus-february-drone-video-3489704/
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/04/a-look-at-apples-insanely-ambitious-tree-planting-plans-for-its-new-spaceship-campus/
    Applause for the measured reply. 
    ai46
  • Reply 16 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    zoetmb said:

The question I still have (I've raised it before) is what the hell are all these Apple employees doing?   It's not like there's big lines of new products.  Apple has been relatively slow to release new products the last few years and they have seemingly abandoned accessory lines like monitors and WiFi routers.   They've been slow to release updates of the Mini and Mac Pro.   They haven't been doing much with apps.   Most of the products they have released have been incremental variations on what's come before.    
    ...And? Do you believe that somehow these iterative products improve themselves? Fall off trees? When display tech is improved, when more substrates are sandwiched together into thinner layers that are more efficient and use less power, where is that innovation and work coming from if not from employees?

All TVs are iterative products. Are TV manufacturer employees doing no work when they produce a new one? Are they instead conjured from a magical well?
    edited March 2017 ai46
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    zoetmb said:

The question I still have (I've raised it before) is what the hell are all these Apple employees doing?   It's not like there's big lines of new products.  Apple has been relatively slow to release new products the last few years and they have seemingly abandoned accessory lines like monitors and WiFi routers.   They've been slow to release updates of the Mini and Mac Pro.   They haven't been doing much with apps.   Most of the products they have released have been incremental variations on what's come before.    
    ...And? Do you believe that somehow these iterative products improve themselves? Fall off trees? When display tech is improved, when more substrates are sandwiched together into thinner layers that are more efficient and use less power, where is that innovation and work coming from if not from employees?

All TVs are iterative products. Are TV manufacturer employees doing no work when they produce a new one? Are they instead conjured from a magical well?
    Let's not forget finance, legal, Human Resources, security and facilities, manufacturing & robotics, material scientists, metallurgists, hardware developers, software developers, infrastructure engineers… 
    escan
  • Reply 18 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    fmalloy said:

Turns away from all other tech companies while nit picking every detail of Apples environmentally friendly facilities. 

And the world turns.....

r00fus1 said:
    Unlike other companies, Apple is secure enough in their products to not be concerned if other companies' products are used here and there. I know for a fact that one of my friends who worked at Apple years ago had to use Windows due to a specific software package (nowadays it's probably just cloud hosted)- IT even helped her setup & secure the BootCamp on the Mac Pro. Plus this is a contractor's computer - I really doubt Apple is going to force their entire supply chain to use macOS.
    I knew a guy who had to put on a presentation at thr Apple campus. He brought his PC laptop and said "I know I'm not using a Mac...." amd him and the employees all just had a laugh. 

When i asked him why he didn't have a Mac his reply was "I can't afford one". People all have their opinion of what they can afford and different priorities but this guy wasn't lower class, just a penny pincher. 

Nowadays its its like that with android. Most people WANT iPhone, most can't afford one. 

• Reply 19 of 19
    escanescan Posts: 7member
    Rayz2016 said:
    zoetmb said:

Let's not forget finance, legal, Human Resources, security and facilities, manufacturing & robotics, material scientists, metallurgists, hardware developers, software developers, infrastructure engineers… 
    People keeps forgetting that Apple does almost everything Google, Microsoft, Samsung Electronics, Qualcomm, Intel, Spotify and many others do, with no help from other companies. All the help they get from others is for manufacturing and component supply. Even that is something that Apple can easily do if it wants. 

This is a company that makes the best computer and mobile devices hardware consistently for decades. It is also the one that makes the best, most secure, most reliable, and most frequently updated software to run on its devices. Apple has it's own publishing platforms, designs the best mobile chips in the world, has the most successful and profitable retail chain, highest rated consumer support in any industry. They even design the third party components they buy from others like LG, Samsung and Sony. It is also not a secret that they spend time, money and energy on secret projects that they don't like to talk about until they are ready for customers. They don't distract you and make you believe they are building the future by buying (and eventually selling) flashy companies, announcing vaporware concepts, or releasing half-baked beta products no one cares about. 

Apple is still a very compact company for what it does. Compare its employee numbers, products and services to Microsoft, Google or Samsung's :) and you will be amazed to see what an efficient company it is. 
    StrangeDaysai46baconstang