Supply chain suggests Apple's 'iPhone 8' will sport mildly curved Samsung OLED screen

Posted:
in iPhone
Yet another report has emerged from the Chinese supply chain, suggesting that while the high-end "iPhone 8" will have a curved screen, but it won't be so pronounced as to make it unrecognizable as an iPhone at first glance.

'iPhone 8' concept image by Moe Slah.
'iPhone 8' concept image by Moe Slah.

Samsung continues to be named as the OLED screen supplier for the "iPhone 8," according to the Nikkei Asian Review. Apple has reportedly chosen to not have dramatic curves in the flexible screen as can be found in other products, in order to simplify construction and to cut down on challenges in making curved glass covers to match the angle of the screen bends.

As a result of the mild curvature, not much is expected in terms of new features taking advantage of a curved screen.

That's in contrast to other manufacturers --?namely Samsung and its Galaxy Edge handsets -- who have used curved OLED displays for features like notifications that can be viewed when the handset is resting on a table, or new edge gestures that take advantage of a wraparound display. Critics have dismissed those additions as largely gimmicky.

The most recent report contradicts ones from February and March suggesting that the "iPhone 8" would have a flat "2.5D" screen, such as that found in the iPhone 7.

Suppliers named by the latest report include China's Biel Crystal and Lens Technology for the glass backs, Samsung for the OLED screen itself, and Hon Hai Precision Industry for the front glass covers. Apple is rumored to have signed two deals to buy OLED panels from Samsung.

Apple's "iPhone 8" is expected to use a 5.8-inch edge-to-edge OLED panel with a 5.1-inch practical area, the rest being dedicated to virtual buttons. Other features rumored to be included in the device are a 3D facial scanner, and other sensors embedded in the front glass of the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    @#$%^$%#$^$%^#$% Jesus. It's going to have f*ucking curved edges like the Samsung. Can we get over this?

lmagooMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 2 of 27
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    bdkennedy said:
    @#$%^$%#$^$%^#$% Jesus. It's going to have f*ucking curved edges like the Samsung. Can we get over this?

Actually the article clearly states that the new iPhone will not have edges like the Samsung. To which every sensible smartphone user out there replies "thank god".
    edited March 2017 edred[Deleted User]Metriacanthosaurusdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Yeah, what's this fixation on curved edges? Curved glass edges would seem to make the phone even harder to hold onto, as well as make it more "fragile." And what the hell is the usefulness of a curved display?

zroger73igorskyrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Supply chain just told analyst: "Get Bent",
    igorsky
  • Reply 5 of 27
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Whatever.  As long as it isn't *much* of a change, then I'm fine with it.

I think this whole curved stuff is a gimmick anyways.
    edredlmagoozroger73igorskyrandominternetpersonMetriacanthosauruswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    I think this goes deeper,  previously there were rumors that the yeild tests weren't conclusive.   What if Samsung is trying to deter Apple from having those curved screens...

I can think of at least one reason for a curved screen from Apple. I would imagine they would turn some of the buttons like volume, into a 3D Touch gesture. Among other things. Apple would do something that would make you wonder why it wasn't there all along... 
  • Reply 7 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    You see those iPhones in September? 

They've got mildly curved screens. 

Mildly. Curved. Screens. 

edited March 2017 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The market wants curved smartphone screens as much as they want curved TV screens ... you know, the TV models that sell for less than their flat counterparts. What is the benefit of a curved screen smartphone or is it solely aesthetics? Doesn't this also interfere with any case protector a user would put on their phone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    I can list several disadvantages of curved screens right off the top of my head.

I can't think of any advantages.
    igorskyaaronjMetriacanthosaurusdoozydozenwatto_cobradamn_its_hot
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The ultimate analyst asscover:

"I was right. It does have a curved screen. You just can't see it"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    tshapi said:
    I think this goes deeper,  previously there were rumors that the yeild tests weren't conclusive.   What if Samsung is trying to deter Apple from having those curved screens...

So Samsung would cut into their own revenue by keeping curved screens away from Apple which, by the way, will in no way stop Apple from outselling Samsung anyway?

That's quite the reach.
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    zroger73 said:
    I can list several disadvantages of curved screens right off the top of my head.

But ... but ... but ... what about being able to read notifications when the phone's lying on the table?!?!?!

:)
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    aaronj said:
    zroger73 said:

But ... but ... but ... what about being able to read notifications when the phone's lying on the table?!?!?!

:)
    Coming soon, pads made to stop the new iphone from rocking.
    Yours for only $99.99 + tax.
    Place your order for the new iPad now!

:) :) :)
    aaronjdoozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 27
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Yeah, what's this fixation on curved edges? Curved glass edges would seem to make the phone even harder to hold onto, as well as make it more "fragile." And what the hell is the usefulness of a curved display?

But it'll be the best thing ever when Apple does release a curved screen. Same story with a larger screen. 
  • Reply 15 of 27

But it'll be the best thing ever when Apple does release a curved screen. Same story with a larger screen. 
    Care to tell us why it will be the best thing since slived bread?
    Personally, I can't think of any good reasons so please correct me?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    I wish Apple would go back to their innovative ways instead of copying Samsung every year. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 27
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Care to tell us why it will be the best thing since slived bread?
    Personally, I can't think of any good reasons so please correct me?

I was just saying that if/when Apple does release a curved screen people will think it's awesome all of a sudden. 
  • Reply 18 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's not going to be curved. That would be at odds with Apple's philosophy of self-evident simplicity.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    mac-daddy said:
    I wish Apple would go back to their innovative ways instead of copying Samsung every year. 
    Is this satire?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

And sour grapes won't help, strangely enough. 
    watto_cobra