Polar H10 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor offers enhanced accuracy, iPhone connectivity

Posted:
in iPhone
Wearable technology company Polar has introduced the H10 Bluetooth Heart Rate Sensor, with the new version of the chest-worn device offering greater accuracy over previous models, plus the ability to be connected to an iPhone and Apple Watch using the company's app.

The Polar H10 is a combination of enhanced hardware and an improved heart rate algorithm. Extra electrodes have been include in the chest strap, with "silicone friction dots" preventing slippage of the waterproof band.

When paired with Polar's free fitness and training app for the iPhone and Apple Watch, users can access real-time heart rate data and training guidance. For those who prefer to train without a phone, the Polar H10 can store one training session in its built-in memory, allowing users to sync sessions later.

It is not clear if the H10 will connect directly to the Apple Watch without the proximity of an associated iPhone. AppleInsider has reached out to Polar for more information.

Besides just iPhone connectivity, the heart rate sensor is compatible with "several" Android devices, and Polar's own line of Bluetooth monitors. Later in 2017, Polar H10 users will also be able connect their heart rate sensor to GoPro's Hero4 and Hero5 cameras, with the sensor providing and overlay of heart rate data on the captured video.

The Polar H10 is available now at Polar's website for $89.95, and comes in size ranges XS-S and M-XXL. The Polar Pro Strap is also sold separately.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I play soccer, and am interested in using technology like this because wearing watches during games is generally not allowed. However, I don't think that the Bluetooth will reach over the span of an entire field.
    We will see how the actual reviews tally the range of the Bluetooth.
    Jo Espen Brenden
  • Reply 2 of 5
    This one is a winner. It provides more accurate HR-readings than the Apple Watch sensor. I pair my H7 with the AW without problem. The H10 seems to be even more accurate, have doble batteri lifetime, more shielded from other devices (for instanse when you are working out at the gym).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    This one is a winner. It provides more accurate HR-readings than the Apple Watch sensor. I pair my H7 with the AW without problem. The H10 seems to be even more accurate, have doble batteri lifetime, more shielded from other devices (for instanse when you are working out at the gym).
    Chest straps are more accurate than wrist-worn HR monitors, as a matter of course. But within real of wrist-worn devices, AW has scored the best in a couple of different tests. heres one I came across just today:

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I wonder if it has enough battery power to be useful in sleep studies.

Edit: To answer my own question. The answer appears to be yes for most everyone except Rumplestiltskin. The new version has a 400 hour battery life. The old version has a 200 hour battery life.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 5 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Interesting that they didn't show somebody running with the H10 and, instead, showed a strength trainer....
    I suspect that that is the real advantage of a chest strap over a wrist based monitor such as the Apple Watch.  The H10 and the prior H7 both use electrical signals from the heart rather than blood flow to track heart rate.  Thus, the chest strap is not only more accurate but more sensitive to heart rate fluctuations such as those produced by on-again, off-again strength training...
    ...  Actually, for strength training Apple warns that its Apple Watch may not be entirely accurate (partly because its contact with the wrist may be effected by strength training).

But, for aerobic work (cycling, running, etc) I have shifted entirely to the Apple Watch because it is just so much more convenient than dealing with a chest strap.   It's not as accurate or responsive -- but it gives me the information I need to monitor my workout and review the session afterwards.

But, the Cleveland Clinic compared the H7 to the Apple Watch (and others).  They found that while the Apple Watch at 90% was more accurate than the other wrist based monitors, it was not as accurate as the chest strap which came in at an impressive 99% accuracy.