Australian banks call alternatives to NFC 'unrealistic' in fight to avoid using Apple Pay

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    linkman said:
    dipdog3 said:
    I used ApplePay at every store in Australia, it was the best. Sucked coming back to the US & going back these awful CC chips.

All Australian credit cards have NFC built in, and it is easier to use than ApplePay, they just have to tap the card.

Easier to use by just tapping -- so with no PIN or the like it is somewhat insecure. It is extremely difficult (like nearly impossible) for a thief to use your AP credentials, even if they steal your iPhone.

The Aussie banks are admitting AP is a great technology with a great implementation and they are asking that Apple be forced to give it up so they can reap the profits instead.
    I would argue that compared to other cards, contactless is safer. There's a transaction limit, above which you need to use your PIN. But most importantly, the card never leaves your hand so there's less chance that anyone can steal your details. Personally I prefer to wave my card over the terminal than use my phone but I do like having the option to do either depending on what i have in my hands at the time
  • Reply 42 of 51
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    In other news, the consortium of financial services which demonstrate a world-leading exploitative  business model, today threw a collective tantrum in an effort to profit at Apple's expense. 

Noting that Apple is the only company in two decades to successfully introduce and maintain a contactless payment platform in a wide swath of countries, the You-beaut banks of Ozzieland insisted on free access to Apple Pay. For free. 

Realising they were in thin ice, the group, repeatedly accused of lying and extortion, made a bland appeal to nationalsim and 'special needs'. Foretunately, the majority of smartphones owned by intelligent people in that country are already switching to ANZ. 
    anome
  • Reply 43 of 51
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Well, I can't really be objective on the matter since I switched out from iPhone 6 straight to the Note, yet... I don't see a big problem here. A world or let's say Aussies will survive without the Apple Pay. Yet, especially seeing Apple struggling around, I tend to assume that it is the Apple the one craving for the market. 
    Personally I won't switch now back to the Apple Pay for a simple reason: a lot of local retailers, especially small ones around my quarter, still have those basic card terminals without any OTA technologies. Yet, Samsung Pay allows me to pay anyway. With the magnet stripe imitation. 
    Er, considering their record quarter, what precisely do you mean by 'Apple is struggling'?

Also, tokenized AP transactions are much more secure than SP virtual card swipes, since the latter exposes your actual cc numbers. If a hacker compromises the retailer, AP users are protected, magnetic SP users are not. Case closed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 51
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    Well, I can't really be objective on the matter since I switched out from iPhone 6 straight to the Note, yet... I don't see a big problem here. A world or let's say Aussies will survive without the Apple Pay. Yet, especially seeing Apple struggling around, I tend to assume that it is the Apple the one craving for the market. 
    Personally I won't switch now back to the Apple Pay for a simple reason: a lot of local retailers, especially small ones around my quarter, still have those basic card terminals without any OTA technologies. Yet, Samsung Pay allows me to pay anyway. With the magnet stripe imitation. 
    "Apple struggling around"?  What have you been smoking?  Do you read financial statements or look at stock quotes? Do you have any idea what Apple's share of smartphone profits is? Or how much profit they generate in any of their other businesses?  What's going to happen is that those Australian banks are going to give in because they have no choice.  People are switching banks to get access to Apple Pay because it's so prevalent in Australia, and eventually the banks are going to want to stop the bad press.

Also your "magnetic stripe imitation" is going to become obsolete in the not too distant future  ;)
    edited March 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 51
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm glad I didn't wait for westpac. Switched to anz 9 months ago and haven't looked back. 

Westpac sent me me an online survey asking why I closed my accounts. Nearly every answer was "Apple Pay"

Something I have been wondering, is the ANZ iOS banking app as good as Westpac's? I'm not sticking with Westpac solely over their app, but it's very good. I find it handy to be able to withdraw money without using a card, especially where someone might have been installing skimmers in the local ATMs.

And yeah, it's annoying that they have a really good iOS app, but they aren't on Apple Pay.

• Reply 46 of 51
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    linkman said:
    dipdog3 said:
    I used ApplePay at every store in Australia, it was the best. Sucked coming back to the US & going back these awful CC chips.

All Australian credit cards have NFC built in, and it is easier to use than ApplePay, they just have to tap the card.

Easier to use by just tapping -- so with no PIN or the like it is somewhat insecure. It is extremely difficult (like nearly impossible) for a thief to use your AP credentials, even if they steal your iPhone.

The Aussie banks are admitting AP is a great technology with a great implementation and they are asking that Apple be forced to give it up so they can reap the profits instead.
    I would argue that compared to other cards, contactless is safer. There's a transaction limit, above which you need to use your PIN. But most importantly, the card never leaves your hand so there's less chance that anyone can steal your details. Personally I prefer to wave my card over the terminal than use my phone but I do like having the option to do either depending on what i have in my hands at the time
    I get really annoyed when the cashier at the retail or dining establishment takes your card, and then asks if they can PayWave it. Letting them use PayWave for you means that you no longer have the security or speed of holding onto your card. At least with ApplePay, that won't work because I need to have my finger on the scanner. (I did once have someone in Nando's grab my phone off me to scan it, but that was for the loyalty card, not ApplePay, - it wasn't released yet, and they don't take AmEx anyway. I was still less than pleased with the situation.)
  • Reply 47 of 51
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    igorsky said:
    volcan said:
    Who cares? Even if every bank in the world accepted Apple Pay unless my grocery store accepts it, it is worthless to me.
    Seems to me that your beef is with the grocery store...ask them to support Apple Pay or you will take your business to a store that does.  This is what I have done every chance I get. 
    Absolutely not. My grocery store is the best in California perhaps the best in the entire vworld. It is not my job to argue for Apple Pay. That grocery is an enormous corporation. They have decided against it. I will not sacrifice my food quality just for lack of Apple Pay.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 48 of 51
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    volcan said:
    igorsky said:
    volcan said:
    Who cares? Even if every bank in the world accepted Apple Pay unless my grocery store accepts it, it is worthless to me.
    Seems to me that your beef is with the grocery store...ask them to support Apple Pay or you will take your business to a store that does.  This is what I have done every chance I get. 
    Absolutely not. My grocery store is the best in California perhaps the best in the entire vworld. It is not my job to argue for Apple Pay. That grocery is an enormous corporation. They have decided against it. I will not sacrifice my food quality just for lack of Apple Pay.
    1) I agree with your stance not to sacrifice a good shopping experience for a worse one because of a single metric. While Apple Pay is great, there are plenty of places I shop where it's not available because other aspects are better than alternatives. That said, as a customer, it's easily argued that it's your job to let a company know you'd like from it, and they want to know you want, and it will hopefully be beneficial to both parties.

2) I don't know to which grocery chain in CA you refer, but I think I've been to all of the major ones, and Publix, in the South-East US, is still the best. :smile: 
  • Reply 49 of 51
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Soli said:
    volcan said:
    igorsky said:
    volcan said:
    1) I agree with your stance not to sacrifice a good shopping experience for a worse one because of a single metric. While Apple Pay is great, there are plenty of places I shop where it's not available because other aspects are better than alternatives. That said, as a customer, it's easily argued that it's your job to let a company know you'd like from it, and they want to know you want, and it will hopefully be beneficial to both parties.s

2) I don't know to which grocery chain in CA you refer, but I think I've been tolall of the major ones, and Publix, in the South-East US, is still the best. :smile: 
    I will not stop shopping st Ralph's 

fresh sushi while you wait
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 50 of 51
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    My guess is that the ACC will not support the banks' case, because ApplePay is already available in Oz through ANZ and Amex (and works very well), so there is not actually any anti-competitive behaviour for it to be concerned about.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 51
    brakken said:
    In other news, the consortium of financial services which demonstrate a world-leading exploitative  business model, today threw a collective tantrum in an effort to profit at Apple's expense. 

Noting that Apple is the only company in two decades to successfully introduce and maintain a contactless payment platform in a wide swath of countries, the You-beaut banks of Ozzieland insisted on free access to Apple Pay. For free. 

Realising they were in thin ice, the group, repeatedly accused of lying and extortion, made a bland appeal to nationalsim and 'special needs'. Foretunately, the majority of smartphones owned by intelligent people in that country are already switching to ANZ. 
    Funny AND true. Thumbs up.