Mistake or tribute?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On the Apple homepage the new 20" display shows a space shuttle taking off - wasn't it 17 years today that it exploded? A tribute or mistake?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    A little eerie in any case.

That reminds me, it's my friend's birthday. Imagine being 7 years old and your school birthday party is interrupted with that news. :eek:
  • Reply 2 of 30
    9/11 is my Nan and Dads birthday... Something few people will forget...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    my anniversary is april 19th....waco....oklahoma city....and i'm sure some nut-job in the future will do something else to commemorate the occasion.

p.s. the challenger was as we all remember was a daylight launch, so that's not challenger at least on that day.

if it's gone by the end of the day you'll know it was coincidental
  • Reply 4 of 30
    A friend of mine got married on 9/11. Nice anniversary date.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rendezvous:

<strong>9/11 is my Nan and Dads birthday... Something few people will forget...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess roughly one person in every 365 has a birthday on 9/11 or some other evocative date
  • Reply 6 of 30
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

I guess roughly one person in every 365 has a birthday on 9/11 or some other evocative date </strong><hr></blockquote>

i highly doubt that if u take 365 people or even greater multiples that it would work out like that
  • Reply 7 of 30
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    [quote]Originally posted by RodUK:

<strong>

I guess roughly one person in every 365 has a birthday on 9/11 or some other evocative date </strong><hr></blockquote>

It really depends on how cold it was around Jan11... doesn't it?

• Reply 8 of 30
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    My birthday is the same day that the first Oscars were held.(My birthday: 5/16/90 Oscars: 5/16/29)
  • Reply 9 of 30
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My brother's birthday is 6/6/66 :eek:
  • Reply 10 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>My brother's birthday is 6/6/66 :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

His name isn't "Damien" by any chance, is it? :eek:
  • Reply 11 of 30
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I am born on New Year's Eve.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

His name isn't "Damien" by any chance, is it? :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. Nor does he have "666" under his hair. Come to think of it I never looked :eek:
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I have a birthday... wow.

flick.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I see Apple have pulled the plug on the homepage now...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Rendezvous:

<strong>I see Apple have pulled the plug on the homepage now...</strong><hr></blockquote>

WOW :eek:
  • Reply 16 of 30
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    mhm:

• Reply 17 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That's a really pretty picture. I dig that sky! Yeah, kinda weird Apple puts that shuttle launch pic up (never found out if it was a coincidence or a planned tribute to the Challenger crew).

Then THIS happens today and, even though the shuttle pic was up since Tuesday, I guess in the interest of not looking too ghoulish, Apple decides to show a non-shuttle pic now.

I can understand, I guess.

I could imagine the chorus of "yeah, exploit what happened in Texas to sell computers..." from some.

BTW, anyone know what city that is in the above photo? It's got that bridge and a pretty distinctive skyline so it shouldn't be too hard. Anyone?

I don't know...I'm asking. This isn't a quiz...I'm genuinely curious.

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    sydney?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

Yeah. I thought (that bridge), might've been it, but I wasn't 100% sure. I was looking for that big opera house or whatever the hell it is (that large white, staggered seashell looking thing. I couldn't see it, but I THINK that's it to the left of the pic?

Yes, Sydney it probably is.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    it's not that difficult, scates:

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>