Apple's (Product)Red iPhone 7 gets first unboxing video

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
Just hours after Apple announced a special edition (Product)Red of its iPhone 7 and 7 Plus handsets, YouTuber Marques Brownlee received an iPhone 7 Plus variant and gave it the full unboxing and hands-on treatment.

The video, seen below, is the first to show Apple's latest iPhone in the wild, and Brownlee notes the new color option is "very red," much like the company's special edition iPod versions.

Along with a newly designed box showing off the red iPhone with red "iPhone" and Apple logo graphics, the smartphone's packaging contains a special informational insert about Apple's (Red) partnership. A small card included with the usual instruction manual and warranty information explains the charity's ongoing fight against HIV/AIDS, and notes a portion of proceeds gained from (Product)Red iPhone sales will go toward the organization's Global Fund.

Moving on to the phone itself, Brownlee says the anodized red finish is "ridiculously good," pointing out the contrast between the metal, black camera lens and bright silver Apple logo. Despite its "saturated" red chassis, the new iPhone's white bezels don't do it for the YouTuber. He also notes the silver capacitive ring surrounding Touch ID is left untouched, a design choice that makes the entire screen assembly appear out of place.

The (Product)Red iPhone 7 hits store shelves this Friday, March 24. Apple is pricing the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 version at $749 for 128 gigabytes of storage, while a model equipped with 256 gigabytes comes in at $849. The larger 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus iteration comes in at a respective $869 and $969 for the same storage capacities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Shockingly its an iPhone7.... with a red back. As an added bonus it will look just like a white phone once its in a case.... lame.
    lmagoo
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    He's right, the white front looks tacky as f***. Like a damn candy cane. The red/black combo would look a lot more professional. 
    anantksundaramneo-techmike1
  • Reply 3 of 21
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Would of bought this over my Jet Black no question if it were available. I also agree it would look so much better if it had a black face. 
    neo-tech[Deleted User]lmagoo
  • Reply 4 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    Gloss Red would have been neater, but then you still have to put it in a case to prevent microscratches.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Shockingly its an iPhone7.... with a red back. As an added bonus it will look just like a white phone once its in a case.... lame.
    Or don't put it in a case. 

I never put my iPhone in a case, it just seems silly. I'm curious to know how many people taking their phone to an Apple Store for a broken screen had their phone in a case. Most people I know who get a case do it to protect the screen, inexplicably. 
    andrewj5790
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I think the lack of a red ring on the home button is just lazy and cheap.  
    anantksundaram[Deleted User]calialexmacaknabi
  • Reply 7 of 21
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    White front = looks like crap.  No, I'm sorry, the black front would be better on all the colors.
    neo-tech[Deleted User]aknabilmagoo
  • Reply 8 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    You put clear back case like my Gold iPhone back shows up as good as without case. But, how did Apple miss front black(instead white) goes so well with Red back.
    edited March 2017 anantksundaram
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Red back/black bezel with a red ring around Touch ID would have looked a lot better. Hopefully they offer this on the next iPhone whether it be the 7s or 8. 
  • Reply 10 of 21
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Considering that all iPhone feature a Touch ID ring that matches the rear Apple emblmem (polished on flat finish) - as it does in this case (both polished steel) - I would call it consistent. Lazy is not recognizing this detail.
    SoliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Red/white has been my preferred combo for years now. Both my iPad and iPhone are in a red leather case, and they look so much better than the red/black combo of the iPad before that. 

I'm hoping the next generation will be available in red, too - glossy red, perhaps? If this one were glossy red, I'd be severely tempted, despite not having the funds set aside, nor actually being due for an upgrade....

YMMV, of course, but I'm posting to balance out all the dorks making claims about Apple's lack of taste, or the "unprofessional" or emasculated looks of this device. 
    tgr1
  • Reply 12 of 21
    levi said:
    Considering that all iPhone feature a Touch ID ring that matches the rear Apple emblmem (polished on flat finish) - as it does in this case (both polished steel) - I would call it consistent. Lazy is not recognizing this detail.
    In that case, why did the "polished finish" parts not get the matching colour treatment too like all the other colour options do. Regardless of how you spin it, imho, it looks out of place.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    With an edge to edge display, you'd have the option to select the colour of your digital bezel to your liking: white, silver or black.

>:x
  • Reply 14 of 21
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Too much innovation going on a Apple! Given where their product development tracks are going they can fire the design department and hire Kim Kardashian to suggest colors
  • Reply 15 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    darkvader said:
    White front = looks like crap.  No, I'm sorry, the black front would be better on all the colors.
    Of course they tried the red with a black face, and they rejected it. Too dark, somewhat sinister, which is exactly why a "darkvader" would like it.

They went for gay, not fascist. Gruber agrees with you, by the way.
    edited March 2017 mike1
  • Reply 17 of 21
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mazda 3s said:
    Those bags of shit at the Verge complain about everything apple.

BTW, Drake's got a god damn white T with his red coat.... And he's much closer to brown than black ;-), so dark tan with red color then (yeah, that color scheme would suck).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    eriamjh said:
    Gloss Red would have been neater, but then you still have to put it in a case to prevent microscratches.
    Or you can just not worry about normal wear and tear on a phone. I have real things to worry about in life, no room for stressing over freaking micro abrasions. 
  • Reply 19 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mazda 3s said:
    When has The Verge NOT complained about Apple? They suck.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    aknabi said:
    Too much innovation going on a Apple! Given where their product development tracks are going they can fire the design department and hire Kim Kardashian to suggest colors
    Huh? The 7 is the best iphone i've had, and I've had every one after the first. The industry is already gearing up to copy it by going to all digital audio & interface ports. The macbook has new stuff and better display tech as well. iPad Pros are expected to receive updates soon too. 

What other PC and tablet innovations are you seeing from competitors? 
    watto_cobra