Marriott likely to decide on Apple Siri or Amazon Alexa for hotels later this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
Marriott is currently testing both Apple's Siri and Amazon's Alexa at an Aloft hotel in Boston to gauge which assistant, if either, might be best for letting guests control their rooms through voice commands, a report said on Wednesday.

A decision on which direction to go could happen "as early as mid-year," according to Bloomberg. If one of the platforms is successful, Marriott will also have to decide which chains will get the technology.

At the Boston hotel, Marriott is using Echo speakers to test Alexa, and a mix of iPhones and iPads for Siri.

Apple's assistant is currently an underdog in the hotel industry, since the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa already has Alexa installed in 10 of its 1,002 rooms, with 100 more set to go online as soon as April. A separate chain, Wynn, is aiming to equip all 4,748 rooms at its Las Vegas resort with an Echo in time for the summer, and could take the technology to other locations.

Alexa may have a few advantages, including easy skill add-ons and price. Before any bulk discounts, an Echo Dot is just $50, far cheaper than any Siri-equipped Apple product. Both the Dot and Apple devices have to be hooked up to external speakers for decent audio, but Amazon also sells the original, all-in-one Echo speaker for $180 -- still less than most Siri options.

The one area in which Apple has a definite advantage is languages. Whereas Alexa only works in English and German, Siri supports 21 languages, which could make it useful for accommodating international visitors and foreign hotel branches.

Marriott is hoping to add more options to assistants over time, such as setting automatic wake-up temperatures, or scheduling when drapes will open.

Apple's Siri-based HomeKit platform now supports a many kinds of smarthome accessories, from lights and ceiling fans through to locks, air conditioners, and thermostats. Alexa is also compatible with a wide range however, including some popular brands -- like Nest -- that don't work with HomeKit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Wouldn't want either one of them. Bit of a privacy concern there.
    80s_Apple_Guyeightzero
  • Reply 2 of 44
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Probably will boil to price, which Amazon has the clear advantage.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    NY1822 said:
    Probably will boil to price, which Amazon has the clear advantage.
    True, however that doesn't mean Apple can't give them a different price if they're going to buy 100,000+ iPads. Also, the iPad could function as other items such as in-room dining, general hotel information, amenities, etc. 
    edited March 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    But your OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones? There has to be a name for that kind of irrational thinking.
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 44
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    No privacy issues with Siri as all computations are done on-device. Also I would think if you're a hotel, a device that offers support for only two languages is a non-starter.
    edited March 2017 patchythepiratecaliapple jockeylolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 44
    If Marriott uses Alexa, then you know only poor people stay at a Marriott. Marriott puts little value in their affluent customers.
    edredlkrupppatchythepirateawilliams87lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 44
    igorsky said:
    No privacy issues with Siri as all computations are done on-device. Also I would think if you're a hotel, a device that offers support for only two languages is a non-starter.
    Are you sure?  I thought Siri sent your voice recording to Apple servers (in real-time), and those servers generate the response you see/hear.

Place your phone in Airplane Mode, then try to use Siri.  It'll display, "Siri not available.  You are not connected to the Internet."
    gatorguySpamSandwichjetz
  • Reply 8 of 44
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    They'll go for Alexa as the unit is small, cheap and can be hidden away and can actually control Hue lights if the hotel chooses to use them as well. SIRI still can't turn off scenes.

On the day you check out of your room...
    Alexa, set an alarm for 2am.
    Alexa, set an alarm for 3am.
    Alexa, set an alarm for 4am.
    Alexa, set an alarm for 5am.
    jetzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 44
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    evilution said:
    They'll go for Alexa as the unit is small, cheap and can be hidden away and can actually control Hue lights if the hotel chooses to use them as well. SIRI still can't turn off scenes.

You can control Hue scenes with Siri. I use Siri every day to control my Hue lights. 
    edredcalilolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 44
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    It will be very interesting to see which way they go here. 

One advantage of using an iPad (as in the new, less expensive one) is that voice isn't the only interface option, you've also got that touch screen. Even if Alexa has advantages over Siri, a voice-only interface inherently has a big disadvantage relative to a system that combines voice and touch screen. 
    slprescottlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Derek98116Derek98116 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    We're an Apple household and own almost every device but I had to dump Siri for Alexa. 9 times out of 10 Siri won't be able to process a HomeKit command where Alexa never has trouble. The speaker on my echo Dot is actually pretty good tooNot sure why everyone claims you will also need a better external speaker.
    awilliams87
  • Reply 12 of 44
    igorsky said:
    No privacy issues with Siri as all computations are done on-device. 
    1) That's not true.

2) Being "done on-device" doesn't mean shit if the device is compromised and connected to a network. Keylogging apps are "done on-device" too.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    evilution said:

You can control Hue scenes with Siri. I use Siri every day to control my Hue lights. 
    As do I...works great!
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    People steal bath towels so...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 44
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    evilution said:

Siri can trigger HomeKit scenes (on or off) handily.
    However, I much prefer the Control Center HomeKit controls to avoid waking up my family. 

I'd say wait until end of the year to see Apple and Amazon's latest announcements before deciding. What's the rush ?
    cali
  • Reply 16 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Soli said:
    But your OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones? There has to be a name for that kind of irrational thinking.
    Disagree. This is a device *someone else owns and controls.* 

I too would not accept this in a hotel room. This is a bad idea. Remember when the hotels got sued (and lost) for blocking wifi? Wait until guests report a security breach after staying there. Rightfully or wrongfully, these devices will be blamed and Marriott will have a yooge problem on their hands. For what advantage? I don't see anything justifying this risk.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

I too would not accept this in a hotel room. This is a bad idea. Remember when the hotels got sued (and lost) for blocking wifi? Wait until guests report a security breach after staying there. Rightfully or wrongfully, these devices will be blamed and Marriott will have a yooge problem on their hands. For what advantage? I don't see anything justifying this risk.
    Again, but you're OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones "that someone else owns and controls"?
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 44
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If Marriott or any hotel chain chooses Alexia over Siri, that specific hotel chain is off my list to stay for my business or pleasure trip.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

Again, but you're OK with all the other devices in the room with microphones "that someone else owns and controls"?
    Again, I don't go to places like that.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:

Again, I don't go to places like that.
    If you go to a hotel then you damn well do.

Hence, wondering what the term is for this irrational thinking that a device designed to listen for a keyword but not record until activated by said keyword is inherently spying and reporting on you while the other networked devices with microphones in the room are somehow impossible to use as bugging devices without your knowledge despite the technology being easier to bug.

The lack of comprehensive reminds of an episode Blackadder Goes Forth "General Hospital" where Edmund had to find the German spy. George and Baldwick have some silly ideas as to how you figure out who is the spy. In that following transcript, suggesting that Alexa and Siri listening for a keyword is on par with Baldwick's "If it was me, I'd own up" comment.

George:
    So, Cap, what's going on?

Edmund:
    Well, there's a German spy in the hospital and it's my job to find him.

George:
    A Ger--? Well, snakes alive! Exciting stuff, eh? Wait a minute; I think I might have a plan already.

Edmund:
    What is it?

George:
    Well, have a look through the list of patients and see if there's anyone here whose name begins with `von'. Well, it's almost bound to be your bloke!

Edmund:
    I think we may find that he's using a false name, actually, George.

George:
    Oh, crikey. Well, that's hardly fair, now, is it...

Baldrick:
    I, too, have a cunning plan to catch the spy, sir.

Edmund:
    Do you, Baldrick, do you...

Baldrick:
    You go round the hostipal and ask everyone, "Are you a German spy?"

Edmund:
    Yes, I must say, Baldrick, I appreciate your involvement on the creative side.

Baldrick:
    If it was me, I'd own up.

Edmund:
    Of course you would. But, sadly, the enemy have not added to the German Army Entrance Form the requirement "Must have intellectual capacity of a boiled potato."
    edited March 2017