Hackers attempt to extort Apple with threat to remotely wipe iPhones, iPads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple should hire them for $80,000[Dr. Evil face]. 
    That's if they're legit. 
  • Reply 22 of 28
    But it's not as if they are going to spend the gift cards themselves. They sell them to unsuspecting 3rd parties who then find out they paid for worthless gift cards. Apple wouldn't lose any money, but the hackers still get theirs. And the 3rd parties learn a very important less about buying such things only from reputable sources.
    And when the unsuspecting 3rd party tries to use the card, it will lead Apple and the police to the 3rd party, and they will question that person.  That will lead right back to the extortionists.  So, again, it's obvious that these kids don't know what they're doing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Has anyone notice if you log into your icloud account on a new device you get an notice on your iphone and other devices that says someone has access the account from a different location or device. If these idiot really have access as soon as they tried to log in the individual with the account would immediately know. I am not sure how they do this without drawing attention.

When I read this the though of the movie Matrix when the one guy began unplugging people and they dies in the matrix, these guys could be unplugging people and I can see people just freaking out and dying since the phone stopped working.

• Reply 24 of 28
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Apparently some high tech adventurers (or some spoiled rich young adults from the tech bubble) are trying to frame up Apple to act against its well known security and privacy policies. They most probably leaked it to the press after Apple's absolute refusal and proactive investigative stance.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 108member
    "...holding its customer's data for ransom..."

Which customer? Poor guy...
    photography guy
  • Reply 26 of 28
    dipdog3dipdog3 Posts: 89member
    maestro64 said:

Has anyone notice if you log into your icloud account on a new device you get an notice on your iphone and other devices that says someone has access the account from a different location or device. If these idiot really have access as soon as they tried to log in the individual with the account would immediately know. I am not sure how they do this without drawing attention.

When I read this the though of the movie Matrix when the one guy began unplugging people and they dies in the matrix, these guys could be unplugging people and I can see people just freaking out and dying since the phone stopped working.

Not like this... not like this...
    photography guywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    maestro64 said:

Actually they use that in their phishing emails. Or a version of this email. 
  • Reply 28 of 28
    I am of the belief that someone tried a couple of Fridays ago. A message popped up on my phone, saying my account was being accessed via London. I live on the South coast and luckily I was at home so immediately changed my icloud password. Thank god I have two-step verification.