2017 iPad vs. iPad Air 2 vs. iPad Air: What's new and different in Apple's latest tablet?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    melgross said:
    tjwolf said:
    "benchmarks we've listed in the chart are pulled from the iPhone SE which has an A9 processor running at 1.8 GHz. The 2017 iPad is said to run at 1.85 Ghz, so we're not expecting a major difference from that, but there may be other factors involved".  Well, graphics for one, no?  an iPad has to push a lot more pixels than an iPhone SE.
    The graphics of the A9 is slightly better than the graphics of the A8x used in the older unit. So there is a slight boost there too. Also the 2GB of RAM, as opposed to the 1GB of the Air 2 will make a noticeable improvement in browsing with a bunch of tabs.

in addition, Apple used three CPU cores in the A8x, it is believed, because moving on to that generation, it's thought that Apple couldn't put two much more powerful cores on the silicon. They moved back to two much more powerful cores in the A9 and A9x.

you'll see much better performance in a lot of apps, where that matters, using an A9 with 2GB RAM, than when using an A8x and 1 GB RAM.
    melgross said:
    tjwolf said:
    "benchmarks we've listed in the chart are pulled from the iPhone SE which has an A9 processor running at 1.8 GHz. The 2017 iPad is said to run at 1.85 Ghz, so we're not expecting a major difference from that, but there may be other factors involved".  Well, graphics for one, no?  an iPad has to push a lot more pixels than an iPhone SE.
    The graphics of the A9 is slightly better than the graphics of the A8x used in the older unit. So there is a slight boost there too. Also the 2GB of RAM, as opposed to the 1GB of the Air 2 will make a noticeable improvement in browsing with a bunch of tabs.

in addition, Apple used three CPU cores in the A8x, it is believed, because moving on to that generation, it's thought that Apple couldn't put two much more powerful cores on the silicon. They moved back to two much more powerful cores in the A9 and A9x.

you'll see much better performance in a lot of apps, where that matters, using an A9 with 2GB RAM, than when using an A8x and 1 GB RAM.
    melgross said:
    tjwolf said:

The iPad Air 2 has 2 GB of RAM.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

For the A9 bus width is 64-bit and RAM type is LPDDR4.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    tyrann said:
    Will wait for reviews to confirm the 2GB ram and how much a difference the increased battery capacity makes on the new processor. If it does indeed have 2GB ram and more than 10 hours battery then i may finally upgrade from my iPad 2 lol.
    This ^  Everyone denies it, but the biggest differentiator on iOS in day to day performance is RAM (and actually has been for a while). 1GB = Crawl when switching between apps. 2GB or 3GB (12 inch Pro) = Lightening Fast.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jason98 said:
    melgross said:

Heavier, thicker, otherwise pretty much the same. No wonder there was no event. 
    Very little heavier, just a little bit thicker. Brighter screen, better performance, likely better battery life and much better price, particularly when considering that it comes with 32GB storage at that price rather than the 16GB on the Air 2.
    7.5 vs 6.1 is a very noticeable and annoying difference.
    You must be very sensitive. I've got every 9.7" iPad going back to the first one, excluding the 4, it's hard to tell the difference in thickness. The weight is a bit more noticeable,  but neither is really heavy. The difference is undoubtedly due to the non laminated panel and glass. Since that a savings in price, it's well worth it. Seriously, this is a well priced tablet.
    bancho
  • Reply 25 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Heavier and Thicker?   What?
    ...  Is Johnny Ives so wrapped up in designing toilets for the spaceship that they were able to slip this past him?

Seriously, I am happy to see Apple plan for the future:  
    This product offers
    -- More functionality (better battery life)
    -- More repair-ability (non-laminated screen)
    -- Lower cost

It is designed for the all important school and student market that will determine where Apple sits in the ecosystem 5 or 10 years from now.  It is the mark of an insanely great company to take the long view.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I've been reading all of these comments and learning a lot.  Thank you!

We have an older iPad - about 4 years old.  Does it make sense to get the new iPad or try to locate an iPad Air 2?
    I cannot tell from the comments about battery, screens, processor, etc.

Thanks!

• Reply 27 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

We have an older iPad - about 4 years old.  Does it make sense to get the new iPad or try to locate an iPad Air 2?

Thanks!

I'm on board with either this one, or the iPad Air 2 in your situation. There's give and take on both. The Air 2 pricing isn't settled -- but if you wait too long and you're looking for new, the market will make the decision for you as the Air 2 stocks run out.
    onetruerobinGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 32

Thanks!

I'm on board with either this one, or the iPad Air 2 in your situation. There's give and take on both. The Air 2 pricing isn't settled -- but if you wait too long and you're looking for new, the market will make the decision for you as the Air 2 stocks run out.
    Thank you. Can you help me understand the "give and take" on the two options?  If it matters, this is for a child with high functioning autism, if that makes a difference.  Her current ipad has sustained and survived some harsh handling, in a good case.   So I'm interested in durability, volume, battery life - not sure what else....?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Thanks!

Thank you. Can you help me understand the "give and take" on the two options?  If it matters, this is for a child with high functioning autism, if that makes a difference.  Her current ipad has sustained and survived some harsh handling, in a good case.   So I'm interested in durability, volume, battery life - not sure what else....?
    My own thoughts (not based on in depth knowledge or research):   If it's for a child, go with cheap, simple and durable -- because few kids are going to need equipment with high end performance specs.   Also, for children, I like the Mini Form Factor because its easier to hold and to handle than the full sized tablet (unless you have a particular application that needs the bigger screen).  And, the Mini-2 is probably available now at a very low price.  (Actually, I got a supposedly Open-Box model for $209 a month ago -- it was so cheap I declined AppleCare+ on it).

So, my amateur advice:   Either the new, model for $329 or the now discontinued Mini-2 for around $200.
    onetruerobin
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Doug M.Doug M. Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I have an iPad Air and decided to upgrade to the new iPad based on some limited time offers going on at BestBuy. First, they are offering a $150 gift card for the iPad Air. So, I picked that up today (didn't even need to turn in the charger and cable that came with it). Then, I used the gift card towards ordering the new iPad online on the BestBuy site, and that will ship to me with another $25 gift card. I have the Apple Smart Case for the Air, and I'll see if that fits the new iPad when it arrives. Otherwise I'll use that gift card towards the purchase of a new Smart Case. I originally bought the Air new for $250 during a sale. Bought the case "used" on Amazon (it didn't appear used, but was not in any original packaging) for $12. So, I am a "budget" Apple user. Loved the Air, and love my iPhone 6s. Hopefully I'll see a difference with the A9 processor (Air has an A7). I've never run out of memory, but the new iPad will have 32GB as opposed to the 16GB on my Air. Hopefully I will also love the new iPad. The only concern I have is the lack of an anti-reflective coating. I like to read sitting on the deck which I can do with the Air as long as I'm not in direct sun. We shall see.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Thanks Doug!

I'm wondering about cases at this point.  
    We have a case now that seems to have done a great job. It is like this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Aceguarder-New-Waterproof-Shockproof-Scratchproof-resistance/dp/B015LLJ0ZI/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490466710&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=Color+Hybrid+Heavy+Duty+Hard+Case+Cover+w/Stand+For+New+iPad+4th+3rd+2nd+Gen+Pen

However, she is favoring something with a handle and I'm wanting to be sure it's going to be durable.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F48DDUQ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ITU52NPR5BQZY&colid=3NEZ254SAVUG4
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OURK6MG/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_6_w

Any advice?  
    Also, would you report back about the sizes - wondering if the cases are going to be the same for the new IPad as for the Air 2?

Robin