US Attorney General claims a 'few weeks' needed to harvest data from rioters' locked iPhon...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    kent909 said:

What's the legal justification for searching their phones at all?  If I punch you in the face, can the police get a search warrant to search my house?  What does rioting and destruction of property have to do with your personal information and communications?  Searching the phone sounds like an unreasonable search and taking it in the first place seems like an unreasonable seizure.  They caught these guys red handed and have all the evidence they need to get convictions.  That should be enough.

Presumably the argument will be that they are trying to find evidence for someone "inciting a riot" but they should be able to solve that part of the case with old fashioned interrogation and deal-making with the hundreds of people they arrested.

Yes. It is called hard evidence. If you punch someone in face you go to jail. You are lucky that you just go to jail.... some of us are licensed to carry in many states and that may end-up quite differently including search of phones. So let's stop at that.
    So it sounds like if you punch maciekskontakt in the nose you will get shot. Good to know. Interesting to know that he/she considers a nose punch equal force to blowing your brains out with a hand gun. No problem in this country we all love each other and care about each other. Just don't cross me or you will regret it with your life.

Interesting to note, at least as it has been explained to me, that in most cases a physical attack is not cause enough to shoot anyone, let alone kill them. You have to prove you life was undeniably in danger and you absolutely had no other choice. Unless they too are carrying a weapon like a knife or a gun, you will have trouble justifying your decision to escalate the conflict. "Punch me in the face and I'll just shoot you because I have a carry permit" is a ridiculous myth. A carry permit give you no authority what so ever. 
    George Zimmerman might disagree with your perspective.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    kent909 said:

What's the legal justification for searching their phones at all?  If I punch you in the face, can the police get a search warrant to search my house?  What does rioting and destruction of property have to do with your personal information and communications?  Searching the phone sounds like an unreasonable search and taking it in the first place seems like an unreasonable seizure.  They caught these guys red handed and have all the evidence they need to get convictions.  That should be enough.

Presumably the argument will be that they are trying to find evidence for someone "inciting a riot" but they should be able to solve that part of the case with old fashioned interrogation and deal-making with the hundreds of people they arrested.

Yes. It is called hard evidence. If you punch someone in face you go to jail. You are lucky that you just go to jail.... some of us are licensed to carry in many states and that may end-up quite differently including search of phones. So let's stop at that.
    So it sounds like if you punch maciekskontakt in the nose you will get shot. Good to know. Interesting to know that he/she considers a nose punch equal force to blowing your brains out with a hand gun. No problem in this country we all love each other and care about each other. Just don't cross me or you will regret it with your life.

Interesting to note, at least as it has been explained to me, that in most cases a physical attack is not cause enough to shoot anyone, let alone kill them. You have to prove you life was undeniably in danger and you absolutely had no other choice. Unless they too are carrying a weapon like a knife or a gun, you will have trouble justifying your decision to escalate the conflict. "Punch me in the face and I'll just shoot you because I have a carry permit" is a ridiculous myth. A carry permit give you no authority what so ever. 
    That's not what the law says. I know each state has different laws, but most are really similar. If someone is physically attacking you, a person does have the right to shoot in self defense. The person doesn't have to be armed. If you are being punched repeatedly, you are in danger of grave bodily harm. That alone gives you the right to shoot in self defense. You don't have to be facing the possibility of death to shoot in self defense. 
  • Reply 43 of 49
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    kent909 said:

How does maciekskontakt know you plan to stop at just one punch?
  • Reply 44 of 49
    kent909 said:
    kent909 said:
    I think it is interesting that all the BS around the San Bernardino phone and wanting Apple to unlock it for them. Now all they need is a week or so to unlock hundreds of phones. Nice to see that they are getting better at technology. This is just your government out of control. Because after all who is going to stop them.
    They only needed a week for San Bernardino too. 
    So what you are saying is that the weeks of Apple and the FBI going back and forth on getting the phone unlocked was just "fake news". They never needed Apple to unlock the phone and they  were just feeding BS to the world. 
    Yep. Apple was/is not needed to unlock a phone. This was a move to get some legislation in place to control encryption.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    kent909 said:

Just to be clear, you will not get second chance or I will not take second guess. You have one shot at it. Be careful. There are many more like that and you need to start respecting people. Selfdefense rules: you do not stop escalation I take action and I am not wrestling anyone. Clear enough or still philoisophical to you?
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 46 of 49
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    You all pretty much miss the point:   confiscating these phones has nothing to do with evidence or intent or anything else -- those people will likely never see those phones again.   It's all about punishing those snowflakes who disagree with Der Orange Fuhrer.   This is the NEW America!   Elections have consequences!  
  • Reply 47 of 49
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    anton zuykov said:
    When you throw a punch at a person, you have just given that person a right to use deadly force, if he can prove later, that it was reasonable for him to think he was in danger...
    I personally don't care if that is LAW in some places or not.  That is simply stupid if it is allowed to apply to any situation.  "I thought I was in danger so I used deadly force against them and they died."  Maybe if we're talking about an old man or woman at home and an intruder threatened them.  But what about a young man on the street in a fist fight?  Very different situations.

We have become overly sensitive, overly litigious, excessively harsh with punishments, and nearly everyone in an online forum is a wannabe lawyer these days.  That, my friends, is much more frightening than a punch in the face by an unknown attacker.  Human beings have created so many laws and regulations that no one can be perpetually obedient to them all, thereby making everyone a law-breaker.  Nearly any infraction of those endless laws allows law enforcers to hack your iPhone.  How sad.
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 48 of 49
    napmannapman Posts: 25member
    peteo said:
    Welcome to the fascist state
    You mean getting arrested for committing acts of violence and property destruction to make a political statement is fascism? If they find evidence these acts were coordinated and planned it may be considered terrorism.
    mike1
  • Reply 49 of 49
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    bulk001 said:

Yes. A death sentence for throwing a punch. Red America. And red in more ways than one. 
    Well unless it's a black guy with a gun... then they're a thug murder... or a brown dude... then it's a terrorist attack... remember only whites are patriots... You want to get gun control... go to Red America and provide every non-white with a free AR-15 and ammo... wanna see a pro-lifer flip? Have their daughter come home with the father - DeShawn.