New Apple Park drone footage reveals occupied research and development building, landscapi...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Following a break in nasty weather, the latest drone footage of Apple Park shows yet more landscaping progress, an occupied research and development building, and the removal of most of the heavy-lifting machinery from the campus.

The latest video claims that solar panel installation campus-wide is about 80 percent complete, with the vast arrays on the garage and main "spaceship" building completely finished.

Apple's research and development facility structure is said to be occupied, with a close pass of the drone seeing completed office spaces. As with the last footage from the beginning of March, a large amount of progress has been made on other peripheral and support buildings on the campus as well. Known as Phase 2, the ancillary structures provide additional workspace adjacent to the main headquarters.

The enormous landscaping effort continues apace, with more drought-resistant trees planted both within the main building's courtyard and across the campus proper.

On Feb. 22, Apple officially named the under construction campus "Apple Park." At the same time, the company dedicated the forthcoming underground auditorium, capped by a 20-foot tall and 165-foot in diameter glass structure, to cofounder Steve Jobs.

An environmentally-friendly design was paramount to Jobs' vision of Apple Park, which includes a small data center powered by an on-site solar farm, fuel cells, and other sources of renewable energy. A new micro-grid installed on the campus is reportedly capable of delivering 17 megawatts of power from solar alone, and handling about 75 percent of the facility's power requirements. The solar installation is supplemented by Bloom Energy-provided fuel cells, similar to those installed at the North Carolina data center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Some of those shots look more like a model than real life.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When will flying drones on this private property be illegal?

Last thing we need is some kid flying a drone through the R&D centers and selling secrets to Samsung.
    SpamSandwichmagman1979
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Some of those shots look more like a model than real life.
    I said the same thing in the newsroom. Something about the edit.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) The R&D building has looked occurred all year.

2) This is getting ridiculous. At First everyone was shooting the video at the first of the month and then labeling it that month, and then when the competition hit they'd film on a weekend right before the new month and then label it the next month. A little shady, but still within reason. But this video by Igor America was posted on 23 March! At least when Duncan Sinfield—still the best—uploaded his video on 22 March he labeled it as mid-March.

edited March 2017 calistompy
  • Reply 5 of 38
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Soli said:

2) This is getting ridiculous. At First everyone was shooting the video at the first of the month and then labeling it that month, and then when the competition hit they'd film on a weekend right before the new month and then label it the next month. A little shady, but still within reason. But this video by Igor America was posted on 23 March! At least when Duncan Sinfield—still the best—uploaded his video on 22 March he labeled it as mid-March.

It's all about those clicks and that ad revenue.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    YouTube has a problem of showing recently made 4K videos using Safari. Their problem not mine. NO! I don't feel like switching browsers.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    macseeker said:
    YouTube has a problem of showing recently made 4K videos using Safari. Their problem not mine. NO! I don't feel like switching browsers.
    It's not a "problem," per say, it's a calculated result of Google only encoding their 4K videos with the VP codec. AI had an article on it. 

Hey, AI staff @"Mike Wuerthele", I'm not sure if it's possible install the WebM codecs for Safari for macOS so that 4K videos will be playable, but I have to  think that one of you excellent tutorials will be beneficial to many readers who would at least like to know this is an issue and the various methods by which 4K video can be played.
    brian greenwlym
  • Reply 8 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Also AI -- what's up with the broken buttons/tallies on your own forum posts?
    Solipscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 38
    All of these buildings and all of these employees, and what comes of it - a [Red] iPhone, and not a whole lot more. WTF are they doing? Cooks says "lots in the pipeline" Is he talking about the Keystone pipeline? Certainly after all of this time, people and acquisitions you'd think there'd be some amazing tech happening — what a sad excuse for a company Apple has become. I've been using their products exclusively since 1993, but I just can't see this continuing!
    mike54calibloggerblog
  • Reply 10 of 38
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    cali said:

Last thing we need is some kid flying a drone through the R&D centers and selling secrets to Samsung.
    Airspace isn't private property. 
    SLRcalilightknight
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:
    It's not a "problem," per say, it's a calculated result of Google only encoding their 4K videos with the VP codec. AI had an article on it. 

Hey, AI staff @"Mike Wuerthele", I'm not sure if it's possible install the WebM codecs for Safari for macOS so that 4K videos will be playable, but I have to  think that one of you excellent tutorials will be beneficial to many readers who would at least like to know this is an issue and the various methods by which 4K video can be played.
    At first glance, it does not appear to be possible -- but we are working on it. Regarding the 4K video, if you watch the video on YouTube itself, it'll play in 4K. Embeds of newer videos just don't anymore.

That's my real name, no need for quotes :)
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 12 of 38

Also AI -- what's up with the broken buttons/tallies on your own forum posts?
    We're migrating to HTTPS. I believe its an artifact of the testing and migration. I'll pass it to the web team.
    pscooter63lostkiwiasdasdcornchip
  • Reply 13 of 38
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    All of these buildings and all of these employees, and what comes of it - a [Red] iPhone, and not a whole lot more. WTF are they doing? Cooks says "lots in the pipeline" Is he talking about the Keystone pipeline? Certainly after all of this time, people and acquisitions you'd think there'd be some amazing tech happening — what a sad excuse for a company Apple has become. I've been using their products exclusively since 1993, but I just can't see this continuing!
    Lets see what happens between now and WWDC when it comes to Mac's. If absolutely nothing, I too will be very worried. I think the iPhone 8 will be great but I want more from Apple than just an iPhone.
    rotateleftbyte
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:

At first glance, it does not appear to be possible -- but we are working on it. Regarding the 4K video, if you watch the video on YouTube itself, it'll play in 4K. Embeds of newer videos just don't anymore.

I have a feeling that Google is trying to marginalize Apple.  We need more people complain to the uploaders.  Then maybe the uploaders can take the problem to Google.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:

I'm not seeing 4K on youtube.com, only 1440p, as opposed to 2160p/4K.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    macseeker said:

I'm not seeing 4K on youtube.com, only 1440p, as opposed to 2160p/4K.
    Yes, when it comes to newer 4K uploads, I can't see the setting for 2160p/4K.  Older 4K uploads are okay.  I see the same problem Soli.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yes lots in the pipeline. This is Apple not google. They announce products when they're done not announce crap just to excite people. Being the most copies company in the world what benefit would they have showing the world what they're working on? This campus isn't finished btw.

Soli said:

It is ridiculous. I always have to look twice at the date. 

I'm boltsfan17 said:
    cali said:

Airspace isn't private property. 
    You're saying we can fly up to windows and record inside the headquarters after the project is complete? As long as our cameras don't touch the ground?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Thanks for reminding me how glad I am that you people don't work for Apple.
    pscooter63wlymStrangeDaysSoliaaronjlostkiwimagman1979Rayz2016
  • Reply 19 of 38
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Soli said:
    Agreed. We will see another one tomorrow and it will be titled "Early April." Classic example of me first and the gimme gimmes. 
  • Reply 20 of 38
    JinTech said:
    Soli said:
    Agreed. We will see another one tomorrow and it will be titled "Early April." Classic example of me first and the gimme gimmes. 
    We're 3 days into Spring so I want to see the next video say Summer 2017 on it¡
    macseekerJinTech