Frankenphone combines (Product)Red iPhone 7 Plus with Jet Black iPhone face

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    flaneur said:
    Marvin said:
    idrey said:
    It looks UGLY.

Red goes with a white face so much better. 
    Disagree I like the red and black combination better. Too each its own. 
    They could offer both options, it's just a back case switch for Apple, which doesn't take any extra time during manufacturing. The other white front models had white bands so it made sense to have a white front as the white touched the screen but this one has red bands. I would have originally thought the white front was a better fit but after seeing this, I think it looks fine in black too. The white fits better with the Product Red branding but they sell Product Red cases that have no white in them so it's not essential to have white and still be sold as Product Red.
    wood1208 said:
    Thanks Mr. for visually proving the best combination for the Red iPhone. Apple can introduce black and white front for Red iphone to see which combination people like/buy the most. There is no extra cost during manufacturing, assembly. Than in future, no debate necessary.
    Of course it costs more to produce two different faces with the same backs. Both types of faces would need separate assembly lines, seperate inventory tracking, separate packaging, and another sales and tracking apparatus post manufacture. You guys never think deeply enough about manufacturing (!).

Second, this whole topic of red vs. white with black illustrates why the red/black combination would have been tried and rejected by Apple in the first place. Red combined with black are the signal colors of both fascism and fetishism — too hot and too incendiary for a Product Red version of the phone. This is why people, including even John Gruber, are so blindly lusting over the combination, forgetting that Apple has to tread very carefully with a product like this.

Of course they would go with Red Cross/Red Crescent red and white and not Nazi/satanic red and black. 
    WTF?! Do you know anything about manufacturing? This dosesnt cost anything more (the parts are already manufactured so its just part of the assembly and picking the right bezel). To avoid the cost of warehousing/investment in the supplychain, Apple could deliver this on upfront ordering and payment if Apple was interested in mass customization. But Apple doesnt have to because nobody is breathing down their neck so that they would need to differentiate further. apple could even take 100 bucks for this if it wanted to!
    edited March 2017 [Deleted User]
  • Reply 22 of 37

I wrote the following in a reply to another story yesterday, but I'm going to repeat it here (slightly edited) because it's about exactly this matter of black vs white with the red body.

Personally, in this instance I happen to think that Apple has made the right choice. Some colours work better with black than with white; others work better with white than with black. Generally, the brighter the colour, the better it works with black, and the more subdued the colour, the better it works with white. Some strong colours that fall in the centre of the 'vibrancy range' work pretty well with either black or white. It's all about contrast, really; maximising contrast works better than minimising it.

The red shade used for (PRODUCT)RED products, bright though it is, is just within the 'subdued' half of the scale, but is close enough to the middle to be workable with either black or white. As proof that it works with black too, see the one-off (Mac Pro)RED; see the (iPhone Battery Case)RED with a black-faced iPhone inside it. Nevertheless, overall, it's *just slightly* to the 'works better with white' side of the colour-vibrancy scale.

Look at all the other products Apple has previously released in RED versions; the various RED iPod models. Are their click-wheels black or white? They're white. Is the Apple logo on the back black or white? It's white. What about and text printed on them; is it black or white? It's white. White stands out better on this shade of red.

So a white face on the (iPhone)RED should NOT be even remotely a surprise at this stage. And for my taste, I think it's absolutely the right choice. I think it looks pretty overpowering to have a black face with that strong red body, as shown by the mix-and-match phone in this story. But then, I wasn't a fan of the iPhone 5c series either (even though those phones did use very vibrant colours with black, which was the right thing to do).

As for the ring around the TouchID button… I tend to agree with some comments that it could have looked OK if that had been red too on a white face (though it might have made the button distractingly obvious). But I suspect that making a red ring was probably a step too far; creating the right colour-match would probably have required far more effort and trouble than the limited-edition nature of the product would have warranted. And of all the existing colours (black, silver, gold, rose gold), the only choice on a white face that would complement the red back is silver. So I reckon that's why Apple went with the silver ring – and again, I think it was the right choice.

So personally, I feel that Apple's choice of colour combination makes for as classy a phone as a screaming-red phone is likely to get. If I were in the market for a bright-red iPhone, I'd be very happy to buy this. I think it looks really good. The bottom line is: there's no right or wrong; it's all just a matter of taste. The hybrid phone shown here "proves" everyone right, whichever side of the debate they sit on, because some people prefer it and others prefer what Apple has chosen to do. It's good to see it in real life, but for my money, I'd prefer the version with the while face in combination with the red body. Just my opinion.

Indeed, if I were Donald Trump and needed a bright-red phone for my hotline to Russia, I'd want one of these lovely red iPhones exclusively for that purpose. It'd make it harder to start WWIII by accident, on account of having simply picked up the wrong phone. Once again, Apple is setting the highest security standards to protect us all.

pscooter63StrangeDaysrandominternetperson
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Someone already mentioned this half jokingly, but a black phone with the red case looks pretty good.  We just replaced my wife's phone with a one, and all the dealer had was a red case.  It works.  It actually looks pretty good.  The only difference is the Apple logo on the back is red as well.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Everyone should know by now that Apple really likes white. The only time Apple did black and red was the U2 iPod and that may have been at the request of the band. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 25 of 37
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Back to the purpose of the red iPhone 7; it's about (RED) Products or red . org.
    Go to their website and a person will see that the colors of this organization are red and white.
    The billboards for this organization are red and white.
    And naturally almost all the products offered by this organization are red and white.

* And so it makes sense that the red iPhone made for this organization"s fundraising would be red and white.
    anomeSoliduervorandominternetperson
  • Reply 26 of 37
    bb-15 said:
    Back to the purpose of the red iPhone 7; it's about (RED) Products or red . org.
    Go to their website and a person will see that the colors of this organization are red and white.
    The billboards for this organization are red and white.
    And naturally almost all the products offered by this organization are red and white.

* And so it makes sense that the red iPhone made for this organization"s fundraising would be red and white.
    Exactly. This isn't just Apple deciding to make a phone with a red chassis. It's a (RED) Product and as you point out their colors are red and white. Every other (Product) RED product from Apple has been red and white (or all red with cases).
    SolifallenjtduervoStrangeDays
  • Reply 27 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Red/black would've been amazing. They are my high school colors. I understand the red/White reasoning though. 
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 37
    The white face and red back not that attractive compare with a black or red front and a red back!  That main reason for me to past on it in the Apple store.   The shade of red is perfect too!
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Red face and red back would be perfect color combo for red iPhone 7, 7+!
  • Reply 30 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Black is better with anything. It looks really cheap and tacky with a red back and white front. Might as well just get a black iPhone and a red case. 
    Red/White for a purpose: RED, yeah the AIDS foundation for Africa. Apple didn't create Red/black to create more sales because they can do that with other colors as well: Deep Blue, Alpine White or even purple. Remember Apple doesn't target buyers based on external colors but the usability of the phone. Want Red/Black? Android phones will have it in a few months. Trust me!
    edited March 2017
  • Reply 31 of 37
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Red/white = Candy Cane Edition
    Red/black = Devil Edition
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 32 of 37
    I swear people (like those at The Verge) are stupid. This is a (Product)RED phone. (Product)RED colors are red and white not red and black!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 37
    wood1208 said:
    Apple, Why? Why you missed such obvious Red/Black combination? Few may like Red/White but most like Red/Black. May be Apple can introduce iphone 7S Red with black front in September !!

I expect that they did at least SOME research to believe that Red/White would be more popular than Red/Black.  But as a small startup perhaps they didn't have the bandwidth to do so and just guessed.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    flaneur said:
    Marvin said:
    idrey said:
    It looks UGLY.

They could offer both options, it's just a back case switch for Apple, which doesn't take any extra time during manufacturing. The other white front models had white bands so it made sense to have a white front as the white touched the screen but this one has red bands. I would have originally thought the white front was a better fit but after seeing this, I think it looks fine in black too. The white fits better with the Product Red branding but they sell Product Red cases that have no white in them so it's not essential to have white and still be sold as Product Red.
    wood1208 said:
    Thanks Mr. for visually proving the best combination for the Red iPhone. Apple can introduce black and white front for Red iphone to see which combination people like/buy the most. There is no extra cost during manufacturing, assembly. Than in future, no debate necessary.
    Of course it costs more to produce two different faces with the same backs. Both types of faces would need separate assembly lines, seperate inventory tracking, separate packaging, and another sales and tracking apparatus post manufacture. You guys never think deeply enough about manufacturing (!).

Second, this whole topic of red vs. white with black illustrates why the red/black combination would have been tried and rejected by Apple in the first place. Red combined with black are the signal colors of both fascism and fetishism — too hot and too incendiary for a Product Red version of the phone. This is why people, including even John Gruber, are so blindly lusting over the combination, forgetting that Apple has to tread very carefully with a product like this.

Of course they would go with Red Cross/Red Crescent red and white and not Nazi/satanic red and black. 
    I definitely don't look at Red/Black as Naxi/Satanic at all. My car is red and black and I get several compliments on it daily. Many things are red and black and look exceptionally good without all the negative thoughts. 

Maybe several Nazis and Satanist compliment your car every day.  But seriously, red+black is a dramatic, provocative combination with aggressive, violent connotations.  Works great for plenty of things, but not so much for a medical charity related product.  What colors do you association with hospitals?  I bet you didn't think "red and black!"
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 35 of 37
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:
    Marvin said:
    idrey said:
    It looks UGLY.

wood1208 said:

I definitely don't look at Red/Black as Naxi/Satanic at all. My car is red and black and I get several compliments on it daily. Many things are red and black and look exceptionally good without all the negative thoughts. 

Maybe several Nazis and Satanist compliment your car every day.  But seriously, red+black is a dramatic, provocative combination with aggressive, violent connotations.  Works great for plenty of things, but not so much for a medical charity related product.  What colors do you association with hospitals?  I bet you didn't think "red and black!"
    This is the correct view. And your previous post as well, but I would say that they knew the red and black would be more popular, but the wrong kind of popular, and so said to hell with the crypto-satanists among us.

Including me, I should add. The red and black appeals to my subversive side too.
    harry wild
  • Reply 36 of 37
    fallenjt said:
    Black is better with anything. It looks really cheap and tacky with a red back and white front. Might as well just get a black iPhone and a red case. 
    Red/White for a purpose: RED, yeah the AIDS foundation for Africa. Apple didn't create Red/black to create more sales because they can do that with other colors as well: Deep Blue, Alpine White or even purple. Remember Apple doesn't target buyers based on external colors but the usability of the phone. Want Red/Black? Android phones will have it in a few months. Trust me!
    O Rly? Then why produce the "Gold" then "Rose Gold" versions if it wasn't solely targeting buyers based on external colours? They were no different functionally, it was 100% about the external colour.